Infection risks?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
undergrain1

Infection risks?

Postby undergrain1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Perhaps a legitimate question for those who sink without clothing. Is there a risk of infections from the mud into open wounds or normal body openings? Or is the chill environment of the mud effective at killing any germs that would present a risk?

What about artificial sinking environments such as the studios that film WAM videos? Is there a risk, especially for heated pits, of transmission of viruses or diseases between users? I'd assume HIV transmission is impossible given that, for example, atmospheric transmission has been found to be not possible.

joedeep130535

Re: Infection risks?

Postby joedeep130535 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:34 pm

Obviously it is possible for infections to be transmitted by the sinking medium but the dilution would be so great that the risk must be minimal.More likely are injuries to the feet /legs from stones thorns glass etc so I wear trainers to sink in--but barefoot is more fun!

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Depends on what you're sinking in. Certain mediums are more prone to containing infectious stuff then others. For example, if you cut your foot while climbing into a settling pond full of clay at at quarry (something I unfortunately have experience with), you'll probably be alright, as clay isn't a good medium to grow bacteria. Do the same thing, but replace the clay with swamp mud that's got stuff growing in/around it, and you might end up with an infected wound.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:43 pm

I've seen all kinds of people, including myself, sunk into all kinds of locations, repeatedly, maybe more than anyone, and never heard of any difficulty with such a concern. Not to say that it can't happen but it rates way down the list of concerns.

Having said that if you have someone with a compromised immune system or you sink into something that might obviously be contaminated then you could have a problem. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Since I use peaty swamp guck, I try to cover any open wounds. I also try not to get any in the first place.

Can it happen? I'm sure it can. Has it -- ever? No.

I keep it classed with most of the risks associated with real sinking. The environment does require a healthy respect, but I see no cause for paranoia.

As for clothing, I have not noticed that most clothes will keep anything out of anything. Wetsuits will allow the water to touch your skin and not the mud itself, but this certainly not sanitize it. Only something waterproof will suffice -- like my waders!

Nessie

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:44 pm

I used to work for a plumbing contractor, and still do plumbing work on occasion (either my own, or helping out friends.) I also worked as a janitor. When I work with the dirty stuff, I get exposed to far higher levels of far nastier bacteria than you will find in any swamp or mud pit. I just wash my hands and arms with antibacterial soap, and then grab a shower afterward. Never had a problem.

I also have it on good authority that the water that makes up the mud in those artificial mud pits gets treated the same as swimming pool or hot tub water.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:44 pm

With twelve shooting seasons completed, we've never had that kind of problem.

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

jeherrin

Postby jeherrin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:51 pm

If there is risk, it's going to be more likely in places where you are near sheep, cattle, etc. If you have sinking locations in the vicinity of livestock, two risks I can think of might be E-coli O157 and Lyme Disease spread by ticks. I'm talking about the UK; other countries might have other specific concerns. Locations near rivers might be more at risk of chemical pollution in the form of effluent from boats or fuel spills.

It's just common sense to scout out locations first for potential hazards (other than of the sucking kind of course).

bart1997

-

Postby bart1997 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:02 am

-
Last edited by bart1997 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevensenechal

Postby stevensenechal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:58 pm

I've been sinking (as an adult) for the past twenty five years and have never developed anything more that itchy legs from dry skin. That's with perhaps a few hundred or more sinks 'under' my belt. I've had more problems with wearing the same pair of cycling shorts at longer bike races. One team at 24 Hours of Adrenaline even used only ONE PAIR of shorts for all 24 hours with each member swapping out the shorts after each lap! Yikes! Of course this is all just academic if you have never been a sinker 'undergrain'. The problem with dealing with purely academic theories is that you end up having to take everyone else's word as gospel and never build a body of experience of your own. There is a nice pool of creamy mud (about four to five feet deep) 300m west of the Steveville Bridge on the south side of the Red Deer River less than two hours north of Lethbridge. You can park at the campsite at the north end of the bridge. It's very secluded and still warm as it is at the edge of the Badlands. Have at er buddy! ;)
Arrakis trains the faithful.

Return to “General Discussion”