Casual Sinking/Private Pit Construction

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Swampficious

Casual Sinking/Private Pit Construction

Postby Swampficious » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Ok, I guess I'm kind of lucky in my situation, where I have just moved house with my gf (who is also into sinking and quicksand) which has a large fence around the rear garden, and no view onto it (house next door is derelict).

However, I now also live in the city, far from the natural spots I am used to, as i have moved a fair distance away.

So i had a think about it for a while.

I've had a look around and havent seen such a thread, so i wondered what the general thought on a thread discussing the making of private pits, and the "recipe" of various sinking mediums would be.

Obviously, I DON'T want the producers giving away top-secret information on their new pits, but as they have more experience than most of us on the subject, any small pointers on the construction, maintainance and sinking materials would be greatly appreciated.

I apologise for blabbing on a bit, I'm not the best at making things short and sweet, but i think this is a decent idea for a thread.
Last edited by Swampficious on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swampficious

Re: Casual Sinking

Postby Swampficious » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:34 pm

My first submission for this is a (sadly) VERY basic pit, the design and details of which can be found on a web page (I'll work on finding a link shortly).

You dig your hole the desired width and depth, and add pond-liner (although this may become slippery).
Place a garden hose in the hole, and loosely fill in with the soil you took out.
Turn the hose on, and wait until a little water shows on the surface of the pit.
Let it settle a little, and it should be ready.

From simple thinking, it would make more sense (if you have the funds) to use soil bought from a garden centre or such to fill in, as this should be free from rocks etc.

As I said, this is possibly the most basic pit possible, but unfortunately its all I have to offer the community right now...

*edit

http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/curb/ ... ecipe.html

That is the link i spoke of.

Return to “General Discussion”