Scuba Gear in Quicksand (Or just wetsuits)

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
DrScaphandre

Scuba Gear in Quicksand (Or just wetsuits)

Postby DrScaphandre » Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 pm

You know, a lot of different outfits were used for quicksand perils. We've had the standard jungle explorer outfit, jungle girl bikinis, pirates, princesses in peril, regular clothes, and a couple of times the occasional astronaut in bizarre quicksand occasions. But you wanna know what he haven't had? Scuba divers sinking. I remember this one scene of this girl in a wetsuit who sank to her doom in a jungle fight, but there have not been any scenes, drawings, or stories of people in scuba gear sinking in quicksand. None of them wearing the gear when they go under for some air under the surface, none of wearing a wetsuit for protection when they sink, or anything.

Mynock

Re: Scuba Gear in Quicksand (Or just wetsuits)

Postby Mynock » Mon May 01, 2017 7:01 pm

I don't think it would work very far under the surface, the deeper you go the more the mud compresses your chest and the harder it is to breathe. 2 or 3 feet down you'd be physically unable to draw a breath, whether you had an air supply or not.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Mynock wrote:I don't think it would work very far under the surface, the deeper you go the more the mud compresses your chest and the harder it is to breathe. 2 or 3 feet down you'd be physically unable to draw a breath, whether you had an air supply or not.

The chest compression thing would not be a problem with compressed air and a demand regulator, although a lockup of sand into an effective solid would be. A demand regulator delivers air at the pressure extant at the location of the regulator (in the diver's mouth). A different problem, however, would be the very substantial added buoyancy from the wet suit. That is why divers have to use a weight belt. All that said, however, I don't think such a scene is very likely.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

DJlurker

Postby DJlurker » Mon May 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Maybe just a straight up sink wearing a wetsuit, without all the scuba crud...

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:33 pm

DJlurker wrote:Maybe just a straight up sink wearing a wetsuit, without all the scuba crud...

I think the buoyancy of a wetsuit is roughly 2.5 pounds per millimeter of thickness, in water. A typical thickness of a triathlon wetsuit would be about 4 or 5 millimeters. Therefore, using 4mm as a minimum, a wet suit would add 10 pounds of buoyancy. There is, of course, some variance due to the wearer's size, the exact material used to make the wetsuit, whether any air is trapped inside, and whether it is a full or partial body wetsuit. Let's assume these variables cancel out so the added buoyancy remains at 10 pounds. This figure is for fresh water, of course. There would be a small but noticeable amount of additional buoyancy in salt water and quite a bit is any kind of mud. As a general guestimate I would predict 25 to 30 percent more in wet clay, depending on how wet, giving a total of 13 pounds of buoyancy. To neutralize this the wearer would have to use a weight belt with something MORE than 13 pounds. Its more because the weights themselves displace water or mud such that a 5 pound weight only cancels something less than 5 pounds of extant buoyancy.

It gets worse. Sinking is mud also involves overcoming the buoyancy already extant in the person doing the sinking. Because mud is denser than water (by quite a bit) the person has more natural buoyancy in mud than in water. To actually sink under the surface the person must actually provide a downward force to overcome their buoyancy. This requires a degree of agility s well as strength. And a wet suit tends to get in the way of agility. That is to sy it can be hard to move when wearing a wetsuit, especially a full wetsuit.

In short, it wouldn't be easy.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Mon May 01, 2017 9:09 pm

A divers wetsuit is some kind of catsuit isn't it? This sounds interesting and could be nice to watch (accentuating all the curves and all that). Additional gear like goggles or oxygen would be too much, though. I would add thighboots and elbow-length gloves for the look.
I have no idea about all the calculations done by Fred. I do always sink with waterproof clothes and guess there is a lot of additional buoyancy involved. It is difficult but possible to sink really deep.
So, overall, I would give it a try and at least it would cater the people with a tight-and-shiny clothes fetish (myself included)
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:29 pm

bogbud wrote:A divers wetsuit is some kind of catsuit isn't it? This sounds interesting and could be nice to watch (accentuating all the curves and all that). Additional gear like goggles or oxygen would be too much, though. I would add thighboots and elbow-length gloves for the look.
I have no idea about all the calculations done by Fred. I do always sink with waterproof clothes and guess there is a lot of additional buoyancy involved. It is difficult but possible to sink really deep.
So, overall, I would give it a try and at least it would cater the people with a tight-and-shiny clothes fetish (myself included)

An actual wetsuit does fit like a catsuit but it is designed for a different purpose. A wetsuit fits tightly because it is intended to admit a thin layer of water between itself and the wearer. That is why it is called a wet suit. This water is quickly heated by body heat to near body-temperature. The wetsuit material is a highly insulating foam (neoprene) that prevents the loss of heat from the heated inside water. Once the inside is wet, the close fit prevents the exchange of that water with what is outside, keeping the wearer warm.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Mon May 01, 2017 10:58 pm

ive tried scuba in mud,... it worked fairly well in a peat bog,..(i got a couple of meters deep) but when we tried in in quarry mud it only worked for a short time before the valve malfunctioned,. my friend who is more expert in scuba said that it was probably the sediment or the lack of water in the mud that cause the valve to malfunction

DrScaphandre

Postby DrScaphandre » Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 am

Well, what about using a LAMA helmet?

quicksand3D

Postby quicksand3D » Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Quicksand & wetsuits is one of my favorite combos but sadly a rarity in Media. The scene you described comes from the Pamela Anderson TV series V.I.P - there was another TV series called "Adventure Inc." where a girl is pulled out of desert QS but it's found out to be the secret entrance to a tomb so they guy & girl suit up in scuba gear to "swim" through the QS into the hidden chamber. The only animated scene I know of is from the 1968 Japanese cartoon Marine Boy - episode "The Greatest power on Earth" has the kid sink chest deep while in a red wetsuit and gets pulled into a quicksand current. Same series has a similar scene where Marine boy sinks into a pit of killer plankton.

There are several girls sinking in wetsuits videos (without the scuba) on this site from various producers - I'm sure they can list them for you.
*a good recommendation would be MPV's "What Price Glory?" a superhero QS trap story which has Kym in a skintight shiny black catsuit & Kristine as RedWing (sorta like Batgirl)

Return to “General Discussion”