Early Memory

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
reisen55

Early Memory

Postby reisen55 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:49 pm

When I was a kid (parts of still are, thank you) - oh, about 7, was hooked on Popeye of course. The old good ones by Fleischer and the new ones by King Features which were generally horrible save the delightful How Green is my Spinach. But there was one where he was in a swim race with good old Bluto (or Brutus) and the latter (in a speedboat) raced by a huge docked container of concrete, pulled the lever on the side and poor Popeye swims straight into what is effectively quicksand. Struggles for a few and down he goes. Always CAUGHT MY EYE at that point.

Boggy Man

Re: Early Memory

Postby Boggy Man » Sun May 07, 2017 7:33 am

The only Popeye episode I vaguely remembered with quicksand involved creating a barrier of sandbags against a flood. Someone (perhaps the sea hag?) used magic to turn the sand in the bags to "quicksand", causing the barrier to start slumping down. But, when the flood came, it turned out that the bags contained peanut butter, and the cold water turned it into peanut brittle, which saved the day.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Weapon X

Postby Weapon X » Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 pm

I remember an episode from a newer Popeye series when I was a kid, when Olive Oyl was in the army. She and another soldier were chasing baby Sweet Pea. Sweet Pea crawled across quicksand as he (she?) was too light to sink, but Olive Oyl sank to her neck, along with the other soldier (I want to say it was a goon?)

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed May 10, 2017 4:28 am

reisen55 wrote:When I was a kid (parts of still are, thank you) - oh, about 7, was hooked on Popeye of course. The old good ones by Fleischer and the new ones by King Features which were generally horrible save the delightful How Green is my Spinach. But there was one where he was in a swim race with good old Bluto (or Brutus) and the latter (in a speedboat) raced by a huge docked container of concrete, pulled the lever on the side and poor Popeye swims straight into what is effectively quicksand. Struggles for a few and down he goes. Always CAUGHT MY EYE at that point.

Wow...that just brought back a very old memory. We used to have this local tv show with the Channel 5 weatherman. He would dress up as "Captain Bob" and show Popeye cartoons to the assembled local kids. I was a loyal viewer.

Weapon X wrote:I remember an episode from a newer Popeye series when I was a kid, when Olive Oyl was in the army. She and another soldier were chasing baby Sweet Pea. Sweet Pea crawled across quicksand as he (she?) was too light to sink, but Olive Oyl sank to her neck, along with the other soldier (I want to say it was a goon?)

I remember that one too and yeah, it was a Goon.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion”