Sinking at full moon

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
The Highwayman

Sinking at full moon

Postby The Highwayman » Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Hello all

It's full moon tonight here in England.
If anyone here loves sinking on a full moonlit night as much as I do I would love to hear about it on this post.

A couple of years ago I had thick fog and drifting mist too. It was absolute heaven, just like a scene from The Hound of the Baskevilles!!
It was probably the best time I have had in the years I have been using that particular spot.
I was in the mire for a very long time with plenty of struggling too as it can be a nice slow sink there.

Sadly I won't be able to go tonight but hopefully soon or around next full moon.

So if any of you are going sinking tonight then have a great time and for any of you that have never been out sinking at full moon or even at night then give it a try.

Kind regards to you all

The Highwayman

bogbud

Re: Sinking at full moon

Postby bogbud » Wed May 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Been there, done that, too!
Sinking under a full moon is really pleasant and special, who has not done that should try this.
Foggy weather adds some suspense like Highwayman said. When it's raining it's more melodrama and one can feel more desolate. On the other hand when it's dry and warm the sinking conditions are better because mud is exposed and thick.
In fact there is no wrong condition for going out except a freezing winter.

Have fun out there.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed May 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Had a great experience with that once but I was more distracted by who I got to play with. :mrgreen:

I have put some thought into photographing such a thing. Actually have an app on my iPhone that forecasts the lunar phases in case the opportunity ever presents itself.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:Had a great experience with that once but I was more distracted by who I got to play with. :mrgreen:

I have put some thought into photographing such a thing. Actually have an app on my iPhone that forecasts the lunar phases in case the opportunity ever presents itself.

You know this program?: http://www.stellarium.org/

After choosing a location it simulates the skys brightness and the exact position of any star or object. You can quite simulate the exact movement of the sun or moon or whatever you want. (Just in case you want to know more than just the times all those cellphone-weather-apps tell you)
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 am

Full moon sinking might not be a good idea in tidal areas, since when the moon is up in the sky, the rising tide will follow, although there would be some lag.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 pm

bogbud wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:Had a great experience with that once but I was more distracted by who I got to play with. :mrgreen:

After choosing a location it simulates the skys brightness and the exact position of any star or object. You can quite simulate the exact movement of the sun or moon or whatever you want. (Just in case you want to know more than just the times all those cellphone-weather-apps tell you)

Oh yes. Being an amateur astronomer has benefits too. :mrgreen:

Around here it has more to do with horizon than anything else. Mountains and trees such as Fred's "Green Wall" have more bearing on where and how long the moon and her sisters are visible. The best place I ever had was in flat, open, Southern Illinois on the Mississippi with Kristine. I'd love to be able to do that again and take photos there at the right time with the right person. :mrgreen:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Boggy Man wrote:Full moon sinking might not be a good idea in tidal areas, since when the moon is up in the sky, the rising tide will follow, although there would be some lag.

Been there, done that, too. That's why you have tidal calendars to check before you venture out onto a mudflat. I do go about two hours before the lowest level. That gives plenty of sinking time. :)
I'm feeling home.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:
bogbud wrote:

Oh yes. Being an amateur astronomer has benefits too. :mrgreen:

Around here it has more to do with horizon than anything else. Mountains and trees such as Fred's "Green Wall" have more bearing on where and how long the moon and her sisters are visible. The best place I ever had was in flat, open, Southern Illinois on the Mississippi with Kristine. I'd love to be able to do that again and take photos there at the right time with the right person. :mrgreen:

The so-called "green screen" or "blue screen" is a way around the "green wall" for photos and videos but it is not as easy as it sounds.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

The Highwayman

Postby The Highwayman » Fri May 12, 2017 12:34 am

I daren't go sinking in tidal areas for obvious reasons although I have heard of tidal calendars.
I was at Morecambe Bay late last year for a sosial event but I did not dare venture out onto the bay as the area is incredibly vast indeed and the tide comes in faster than a person can run.

The quicksand there has caught many people out but I have to say I would very much like to experience it there but I would never try it alone.

A few years ago a Horsewoman and a horse got trapped in quicksand there (I love Horsewoman in quicksand)!! Fortunately both were rescued and all ended well.

But like I say. I would rather stay cautious of tidal spots.
Last edited by The Highwayman on Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Fri May 12, 2017 9:40 am

The Highwayman wrote:I daren't go sinking in tidal areas for obvious reasons although I have head of tidal calendars.
I was at Morecambe Bay late last year for a sosial event but I did not dare venture out onto the bay as the area is incredibly vast indeed and the tide comes in faster than a person can run

The quicksand there has caught many people out but I have to say I would very much like to experience it there but I would never try it alone.

A few years ago a Horsewoman and a horse got trapped in quicksand there (I love Horsewoman in quicksand)!! Fortunately both were rescued and all ended well.

But like I say. I would rather stay cautious of tidal spots.

Seems you're on the wrong end of the UK. I have read a lot of reports and seen lots of pictures of people enjoying themselves in the Essex Mudflats. There are also a lot of little brooks and estuaries that are not on plain view and therefore much better suited for our business.
I have been at multiple places at the north sea (not UK) and never seen real quicksand, but lots of soft spots.
I'm feeling home.

Return to “General Discussion”