Sinking at full moon

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
The Highwayman

Re: Sinking at full moon

Postby The Highwayman » Fri May 12, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for info. Essex isn't too far from me.
I must look into this even if it's just a scouting mission.
There are a couple of other places I can try that are within reasonable distance, one is quicksand and one is more like bogs that I visited some years ago. I do have a very good spot that is absolutely brilliant in the spring and summer but if there has been heavy rain it can be very sloppy indeed and it's not really enjoyable when it's like that.

I have been there during the summer in torrential rain when it hasn't been raining very long and the surface is still quite dry and I get a very good, slow sink indeed but my riding shirt was absolutely soaked with rain and muck from the mire!!
I might get brave and try further out where I'm pretty sure it is much deeper than waist depth.
I have sunk in areas there and not touched the bottom!! Even at waist depth it can take a very long time to get out as the peat can be very thick, so overcoming the suction requires a lot of effort. Last time it took 25 minutes to get out.
If I can find an area there that is softer I might try going deeper but I am always cautious of the safety aspects.
Even though I have been sinking for a long time I wouldn't want to be overconfident.
Last edited by The Highwayman on Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”