Riding boots

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions

Riding boots

Postby 101927700 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:16 am

Hey everyone. It's been so long since I've started a new topic, so here goes. I've been thinking about getting rubber riding boots for mud and/or sinking. Any advice? Thanks in advance :)
I’m not the person I was in 2016.
Profile picture by twitter.com/bogexplorer

bogbud

Re: Riding boots

Postby bogbud » Mon May 22, 2017 3:49 pm

I have rubber riding boots, too but don't use them that much in really deep mud.

Pros:
- somewhat taller than wellies, that gives a little more freedom for exploring new places
- tighter than wellies and a more flexible sole, this will help against getting (involuntary) stuck or loss in deep spots
- looking great on video

Cons:
- The sole is quite thin, this means they are not that comfortable for walking longer distances
- hard to put on and off, especially when they got wet and muddy from the inside

They come in either cheap or expensive.
Most of them are more or less the same model, like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Ovation-Derby-Co ... ding+boots

High quality may be some like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Chameau-Footwear ... eau+alezan

I recommend trying them on before buying them to find the best fit. Some come also in a multitude of different heights and widths.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Mike Nomic

Postby Mike Nomic » Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 pm

bogbud wrote:
... Cons:
- hard to put on and off, especially when they got wet and muddy from the inside ...

Insert your foot and lower leg into a small bin liner or plastic carrier bag before donning the boot, and you will find that they are far easier to remove afterwards, whether wet or muddy inside.
Mike.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Mon May 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Hmm Mike, I've got to try that some time.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Postby 101927700 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 am

bogbud wrote:I have rubber riding boots, too but don't use them that much in really deep mud.

Pros:
- somewhat taller than wellies, that gives a little more freedom for exploring new places
- tighter than wellies and a more flexible sole, this will help against getting (involuntary) stuck or loss in deep spots
- looking great on video

Cons:
- The sole is quite thin, this means they are not that comfortable for walking longer distances
- hard to put on and off, especially when they got wet and muddy from the inside

They come in either cheap or expensive.
Most of them are more or less the same model, like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Ovation-Derby-Co ... ding+boots

High quality may be some like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Chameau-Footwear ... eau+alezan

I recommend trying them on before buying them to find the best fit. Some come also in a multitude of different heights and widths.

Thanks for the advice :) As it happens, the boots I have been looking at on Amazon are the men's version of the first link (the Ovation Derby ones). Looking forward to getting them, I love the curvy shape of them.
I’m not the person I was in 2016.
Profile picture by twitter.com/bogexplorer

The Highwayman

Postby The Highwayman » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

I have been sinking in jodhpurs and riding boots for years now and I love it.
It really accentuates the struggle.
Where I sink i can just about stand on the surface until I break through and I'm not even half way up my boots and I'm stuck, so struggling merely loosens the mud around me and I end up about waist depth. It does make a good slow sink and It makes getting out quite interesting too but that's what I like, a good slow sink with lots of struggling. Nice!!

Return to “General Discussion”