Favorite Danger Quicksand signs

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
MichaelL_Photo

Favorite Danger Quicksand signs

Postby MichaelL_Photo » Mon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Folks,

When it comes to quicksand sinking, the damsel-in-distress is my favorite scenario, usually with a grim ending.

In stories, videos, etc., the "Danger Quicksand" sign can be a key element to this scenario - I'm wandering what type(s) of signs other folks like. To me the most intriguing sign is worn, on the ground, partly obscured, so the damsel walks right by it, perhaps even steps on it, without really seeing it. My second favorite is the sign she only sees after becoming trapped, perhaps because it is facing in a different direction, or is partly sticking out of the quicksand.

What do others think? Have a favorite sign?

Michael
Soft Dangers Visual Productions
michaelleachphoto@gmail.com

PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: Favorite Danger Quicksand signs

Postby PM2K » Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 pm

MichaelL_Photo wrote:Hi Folks,

When it comes to quicksand sinking, the damsel-in-distress is my favorite scenario, usually with a grim ending.

In stories, videos, etc., the "Danger Quicksand" sign can be a key element to this scenario - I'm wandering what type(s) of signs other folks like. To me the most intriguing sign is worn, on the ground, partly obscured, so the damsel walks right by it, perhaps even steps on it, without really seeing it. My second favorite is the sign she only sees after becoming trapped, perhaps because it is facing in a different direction, or is partly sticking out of the quicksand.

What do others think? Have a favorite sign?

Michael

I think you nailed the top two. ;)

I rather like the well worn and weathered sign myself, nailed to a tree, half hidden by foliage or stuff like spanish moss. After our poor victim has succumbed to being the bog's meal, the camera slowly pulls out to reveal the sign, as the sand bubbles away.

Another is with two ladies, and when one gets stuck, the other notices the sign and reads it out loud, as if that will help... then the story unfolds from there.

Then there's the hiker who spots the sign, gets an evil idea of how to dispose of a rival, and later lures them out to her handy little death trap.

One sign, so many uses... ;)

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Coincidentally, I was JUST thinking about how much a contributing factor the danger sign is to the fantasy as a whole, so I'm kinda glad you made this thread. I agree that the sign adds a lot of immersion to the scenario, and also agree on the worn/obscured aspect of it as well (and the grim ending pref). Furthermore, adjectives in the danger sign are pretty cool sometimes too, e.g. "bottomless," "sucking," etc.

So I actually just had this idea while out sinking yesterday myself: a "Danger: Quicksand" sign, but with a tally carved into it by some unknown person, signifying the number of personal articles left behind by what must have been previous victims of the pit. Pith helmets, jungle girl bikinis, stuff like that. I made a super shitty MS Paint drawing to illustrate what I mean:
signidea.png

It's a very minor touch, but not one I've ever seen before, and I think it would add to the "deadliness" of the quicksand; like if you're up to your knees in it, and you look up and see a sign indicating not only that you're in quicksand, but also how many other hapless explorers have been sucked under in this particular pit, I think that helps to illustrate the direness of the situation greatly.

Also, for the record, I actually think multiple different tallies would be a little detracting to the point of possible overkill, so it'd probably be ideal to have EITHER pith helmet, or bikini, or loin cloth, or whatever your fancy.

Edit: The bikini, of course, would naturally be found toward the side of the pit, indicating the victim (unsuccessfully) tried to use it as a last resort to reach a branch or vine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ace on Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Just had a thought... a Danger Quicksand sign covered in swimsuits. :D

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 pm

this was the sign i grew up living a few hundred feet from,. hence i was sinking in deep mud before i even finished puberty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jadokast98

Postby jadokast98 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:19 pm

This is what I had traced from a Cracked Magazine back in the late 80's, an long with Nanny Dickering of course. But yea... this is a favorite sign for me.
Nanny Pencil in QS2.jpg

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue May 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Interesting topic. I've always been a fan of such signs in the right place at the right time. Now I'm asking myself why that is? It definitely spells out the danger involved and tells you that this lady is in serious trouble at best.

DSCN0158.jpg
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Conspiracy101

Postby Conspiracy101 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:10 pm

I love the inclusion of a "Danger Quicksand" sign in a scene or picture. Either the woman was willfully ignorant when she saw it or she sees it too late after she fell in. It's always a great prop for a scene.
"Some times fear has the appropriate response"

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:33 pm

About 11 or 12 years ago, when my Studio was just starting, someone in the UK (I have totally forgotten who it was) wrote to offer to send us what was described as a real such sign. That person never followed up on the offer but it would have been cool to have one that could be touted as real.

I suspect, though nothing was ever mentioned, that the cost of shipping made it prohibitive.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Mike Nomic

Postby Mike Nomic » Tue May 23, 2017 5:37 pm

These are two of my favourites: -
Last edited by Mike Nomic on Tue May 23, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”