How deep have you gone?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Boggy Man

Re: How deep have you gone?

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:44 am

When the mud was liquid, I would go down deep enough to reach straight up above my head and not touch the surface! I did that only in liquid mud because it was easy to go down that deep and back to the surface on a lungful of air. Thicker mud, I can only go a few inches over my head on a lungful of air. But, with a breathing hose, I have been able to go deep enough that when I reach straight up above my head, my hands and wrists break above the surface. I haven't bothered going deeper, since I felt comfortable up to that depth. I might try going deeper if my body tells me that it can handle it. I will have to wait and see. :?
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Boggy Man wrote:When the mud was liquid, I would go down deep enough to reach straight up above my head and not touch the surface! I did that only in liquid mud because it was easy to go down that deep and back to the surface on a lungful of air.

Similar experience but with somebody else.

Shooting at a clay pit in Alabama with Stormy Rose for the first time. She was willing, enthusiastic actually, but inexperienced so I offered to just push her under where we were. I was shoulder deep in the most incredible rain-saturated slop I've ever been in and she was right next to me. I explained to her that if she didn't struggle she would pop right back to the surface. Told her to take a deep breath, placed a hand on her shoulder, and pushed her straight down the length of my arm. When I let go she didn't move. :o :!: :!: :!: :shock: I dropped down to ear level and got a hand under her arm and pulled her back up with relative ease. Fortunately she was wearing nothing but mud. She broke the surface and pronounced it the coolest experience she'd ever had. I said nothing about how that didn't quite go as planned and we moved on with the shoot. Later on I realized that with all the recent heavy rain the goop was so saturated that it wasn't really all that dense just below the surface. I know that physics says how this is supposed to behave and mud can't float on top of water but I was there and I'm telling you. Every time somebody says quicksand and sinking are impossible I've got several experiences I'd like to share with them.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

QSMud

Postby QSMud » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:14 am

gamwam wrote:i have been vertically so deep below that i was only just able to break the surface with my fingertips when i stretched up with my arms,(i am 5 feet 9 so im guessing my head was almost 2 feet under and my feet were over 7 feet under )... i used a long hose to breathe though (a washing machine waste water hose works best) and i prevented re breathing by inhaling through the hose and exhaling through my nose to ensure a supply of fresh air and also make an enjoyable bubbling sound.

Same here, thanks to gamway. I was in tidal mud, and didn't experience much pressure. It was a bit scary when I couldn't reach the surface, but I worked my way up to this slowly, and also experimented with how fast I could reach the surface on a breath. Dangerous? Yes, but it felt so nice. Probably the most dangerous aspect would have been having some sudden health issue arise, but I think that risk is inherent in many things we do.

I no longer am near that heavenly spot.. and some of the quarry clay near me has shown that sinking that deep is not easy! You need a spot that's deep enough, and this clay is so hard to pull under because of buoyancy.

I do have some videos of my sinking on umd at both places.

Beast260

Postby Beast260 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 am

chin deep. did have my feet flat on the bottom of that mud pit.
been chest deep heaps of times and still not hit the bottom but thats been in tidal mud flats so didnt want to get any deeper lol

indiana89

Postby indiana89 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 pm

My pit is an amazing patch of tidal mud that is just so smooth after about 3 feet deep. Fortunately it isn't so thick that I'm ever uncomfortable, and I'll be shooting to go under completely (fingertips and all) in the near future.

farwing

Postby farwing » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:26 pm

My deepest was up to my shoulders in amazing lakebed clay, where a reservoir was mostly emptied. Before then I've only found leg-deep mud at best, and never as smooth and creamy as that. That opportunity was so great that I ended up going back twice, but sadly the second time the bed was already dried out.

joedeep130535

Postby joedeep130535 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Like Bogbud my deepest vertical sink is nose deep with my head back to allow breathing. I have enjoyed complete submersion when either lying down or on my knees but have never dared to do it standing in case I could not "surface" in time. Most of my early sinking was in quarry sites so the mud was fairly thick & clinging so it was probably just as well I was a coward!!!

Kipcicles2

Postby Kipcicles2 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:02 am

Been under but it was a complete accident! (I've been under a few times but never pleasantly)

I seem to find myself in scary situations in which when I stumble into a mud pit, my first instinct is to stand up and stand still, but with only my feet's surface area, I'd sink quickly. I don't really have any actual timings because I get so scared when I submerge that all I think about is trying to get out. However, I think I've been a few inches over my head for about a minute on full lungs.
Just an uptuned nose at the surface (。◕‿◕。)

H8ms2014

Postby H8ms2014 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:47 am

Not deep enough :? Mid thigh in mud, but was chest deep in water as well. Didn't want to risk going deeper as I had no one to help me if it went south... I'd love to try to go as deep as Boggy Man has 8-)

Return to “General Discussion”