How deep have you gone?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
indiana89

How deep have you gone?

Postby indiana89 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:24 am

I have recently come across a wonderful sinking spot. This stuff is truly bottomless from what I can tell. I would love to go deeper than my arms can reach above my head, but I get nervous once I reach my wrists. What's the deepest you have managed to get yourself into?

kwiksand1

Re: How deep have you gone?

Postby kwiksand1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:40 am

Chin deep... ears deep when I looked straight up.
Exhilarating!

The Highwayman

Postby The Highwayman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:27 pm

I have sunk to waist depth.
I daren't go any deeper as at this depth it is very difficult to get out depending on the consistency on the day.
I am pretty sure I could go under as the bog is quite large.
Maybe I will just take the chance with my ropes in place to pull myself out

cygnus421

Postby cygnus421 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

I got down to my shoulders one time, but the mud was only waist deep and very watery, so I don't feel like I got anywhere near the full effect
With the heart and mind united

Mike Nomic

Postby Mike Nomic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Total vertical submersion, wearing a home-made hood with breathing tubes attached.

Believe it or not, there is a McDonalds on the site now.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Usually nose-deep, with the head tilted back like the models do to be able to breathe a few more seconds.
The bog is deeper and i sank a bit above a my head a few times, but it is quite dangerous because of the thickness of that stuff i have here.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 pm

When I was sinking regularly, had a place in a marshy area near a creek which was shoulder deep in which I could work my way all the way under... have a good foot worth of mud atop the crown of my head... It was safe enough. The mud was thick, but I was able to float lifting my legs off the bottom, and with a bit of wiggling get myself sucked down to my doom without needing to force myself under with my arms. I could hold my breath easily while encased, and pop back up with little effort.... It was pretty well perfect. :D

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 pm

i have been vertically so deep below that i was only just able to break the surface with my fingertips when i stretched up with my arms,(i am 5 feet 9 so im guessing my head was almost 2 feet under and my feet were over 7 feet under )... i used a long hose to breathe though (a washing machine waste water hose works best) and i prevented re breathing by inhaling through the hose and exhaling through my nose to ensure a supply of fresh air and also make an enjoyable bubbling sound.

its usually only possible to get this deep in organic mud such as swamp or peat bog mud (or dare i say it manure) as its less dense and therefor means that the pressure on the chest is not so great that it stops you expanding your rib cage to breathe,.. a sink this deep isnt possible in heavy sediment type mud such as tidal mud or clay/quarry settling lagoons as the mud is much denser and there for means you can not "take" as much pressure on the chest as with organic mud (unless you dont use a hose,. or can use a scuba kit, or can hold your breath for a long time) also these sediment type muds have an annoying tendency to cause you to "bob" back up again as they're more dense than the human body so tend to push you back up naturally which can be annoying.

ive also experimented with head first sinking using a hose, again only really possible in organic type muds and limited to the amount of pressure accross the chest for breathing but fun to try

never wear big boots if your sinking under,.. u will need to be able to get back up quickly if holding your breath and big boots will slow you down

Sedge

Postby Sedge » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:30 am

Vertical submersion where reaching up I might break the mud surface with my fingertips. That puts the top of my head about one foot under the surface. Submersion takes effort to fight buoyancy if I try to sink deeper than my ears. The mud pit is next to a rooty bank and the remains of a stump which I use as handles to push down against and pull up with.

DJlurker

Postby DJlurker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:40 am

My usual muddy spot is only crotch-deep at best, but I have managed to sit down up to my chest in it. I've even managed to fully immerse myself, but it wasn't easy...

Return to “General Discussion”