Total Frustration

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Mynock

Re: Total Frustration

Postby Mynock » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:45 pm

It looks like you were hunting in a spot where they dump the already settled material, you need to find the settling pond itself, that's where the looser bottomless stuff is.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:34 am

klib21 wrote:Thanks everyone for the reply. I'll of course keep looking, I haven't given up total hope. However, I think I may just find an area where I can dig my own pit. Somewhere private and near water. Has anyone done anything similar?

mud_dreamer wrote:One thing that I have started to do is to look online for geologic surveys for clay in the states/counties of interest. They typically name the town or county and the type and amount of clay. Sometimes there will even be names of the clay pits and the type of clay. Some clay mining businesses list their clay pits too. I then look for state land nearby. I am prospecting one location which is a river near a several active and historic clay pits. At the moment the water level is too high to go exploring. I have been close only to find knee/hip deep clay but very private. I can monitor the water level online and since this location is 3 hours away I can avoid a wasted trip. I plan to kayak to the location when the water level is what I have determined to be worth a visit.

Interesting, I didn't know this was a thing. I've been to a couple sites, but couldn't find any info like that. Mind giving an example?

Here are two ... Georgia (kaolin), and Wyoming (bentonite). Search for "Georgia kaolin mining" or "Wyoming bentonite mining" . If you provide your state I might be able to help you better.

klib21

Postby klib21 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 am

mud_dreamer wrote:Here are two ... Georgia (kaolin), and Wyoming (bentonite). Search for "Georgia kaolin mining" or "Wyoming bentonite mining" . If you provide your state I might be able to help you better.

I've googled those terms... but I still don't know what I'm looking for I suppose...
How would I find useful info about Indiana?

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Indiana huh? Took a quick look and immediately spotted a promising quarry just west of Bloomington. You're looking for quarries that have a particular kind of washing operation that uses settling ponds.

Incidentally, the screen captures of the quarry you provided do actually provide a visual clue that the location might be a little sandy. Study the texture closely and you'll see that the drier areas do indeed look somewhat sandy. However, this is one of those places that requires checking in person to be sure as every once in a while a place like this will have a small area to the side of the water stream where the clay settles out and produces a marvelous deep clay mud area.

I am rather good at finding mudpits from aerial views, but even when I find a high probability location, my odds are still only about 10% that there will be good mud there. I you have specific places you're curious about, I'd be happy to give a second opinion on whether it warrants actually checking out in person.

Mudbogz

Postby Mudbogz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:31 am

You know... they say when handed lemons, make lemonade.

In this case... if the area just LOOKS good, a lot of us manipulators could use the background shots... Might not be the sinky spot you're looking for but it's not a total loss that way...

Just an idea.

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 pm

I'm in south-western PA - if anyone happens to notice a quarry or anything in this area, please share!

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:58 pm

mudxdresser wrote:Indiana huh? Took a quick look and immediately spotted a promising quarry just west of Bloomington. You're looking for quarries that have a particular kind of washing operation that uses settling ponds.

Incidentally, the screen captures of the quarry you provided do actually provide a visual clue that the location might be a little sandy. Study the texture closely and you'll see that the drier areas do indeed look somewhat sandy. However, this is one of those places that requires checking in person to be sure as every once in a while a place like this will have a small area to the side of the water stream where the clay settles out and produces a marvelous deep clay mud area.

I am rather good at finding mudpits from aerial views, but even when I find a high probability location, my odds are still only about 10% that there will be good mud there. I you have specific places you're curious about, I'd be happy to give a second opinion on whether it warrants actually checking out in person.

I'm good at finding red clay and swamps but horrible at finding light colored mud like bentonite. I would like some help finding something in Georgia.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:28 pm

Slugjaba1922 wrote:
mudxdresser wrote:Indiana huh? Took a quick look and immediately spotted a promising quarry just west of Bloomington. You're looking for quarries that have a particular kind of washing operation that uses settling ponds.

I'm good at finding red clay and swamps but horrible at finding light colored mud like bentonite. I would like some help finding something in Georgia.

Best place to find Bentonite is a hardware store that caters to cattle ranchers.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:17 pm

Fred588 wrote:Best place to find Bentonite is a hardware store that caters to cattle ranchers.

Yeah the local Co-Op has it by the pallet. And they deliver.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:07 am

On the subject of "total frustration," I recall years back finding a secluded muddy spot along a creek deep in the woods, but only a short walk from home. It was oval-ish shaped, about 20x15-ish feet in size, and I was so excited to find it, only problem was, it wasn't much more than ankle deep. It was an absolutely perfect spot in all regards, except depth :cry: Still, I went down there dozens of times. Sometimes it was covered in water, sometimes not, and sometimes it was totally dried out. I even tried to dig it out a little a few times, but barely two feet down I always hit a layer of gravel. That was total frustration for me.
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Return to “General Discussion”