Mud Map Reborn - Community Sinking Location Map!

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Aussie_Bob

Mud Map Reborn - Community Sinking Location Map!

Postby Aussie_Bob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Hey everyone. Due to the repeated vandalism of the old Sinking Map (Originally created by DaBestNoobEver) I have gone through and created a whole new map, and have restored my backup of the old map. (My backup is from October 2016 - If anyone has a newer backup that isn't corrupted, please PM Me)
Locked Map wrote:View the Locked Map:
(Primary Link): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wow49 ... sp=sharing
Or:
(Secondary Link if the first one is stuck in error 400): https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... njpkGg9HLj
(Information on editing this map below)

This new map works differently to the old one.

Firstly, It's not One map, but Two. One can be changed by anyone (Editable), the other can only be changed by me (Locked).
How this will work:
1. You can edit the editable map, make changes, add spots, etc. (To avoid being locked out of this map, as which happened to the old one, I have ticked "Prevent editors from changing access")
2. Once Per Month I will copy all of the edits to the Locked Map. (Anyone can view the locked map, only I can change it)

If the spots get deleted from the editable map by someone, I can always restore all the data from the "Locked" map, So at maximum, we would only ever lose one week of edits if someone vandalised the map. (Instead of the entire year we have lost in the old map)

The editable map can be edited by anyone. (It does say "No sign in required" but you may still need a Google Account) - The only other option is to set it to "Request Access" which means I would have to approve all accounts wanting access, (Which means I would have to see the email address of whatever account you use, - I WILL NOT DO THIS UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.) - I like my Privacy, I'm fairly sure most of you do too.

Editing Instructions wrote:Editing Instructions:
  1. Load the Editable Map:
    (Primary Link): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z9OWK ... sp=sharing
    Or:
    (Secondary Link if the first one is stuck in error 400): https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... Dczu0dMhLj

2. Make sure the "New Community Places" layer is selected (A Blue Bar appears in the left of the layer if it is selected - See Images:)
    selected.png

If the Layer is not selected, Click Here to select the layer: (See Image:)
    select.png

The Layer will now be selected.
  3. Now you can add your place to the layer, Click the "Add Marker" button (See Image:)
    addmarker.png

4. Zoom right in on the place you wish to add, and click ton add the marker, then add a descriptive name, and give the place a rating out of ten, talk about anything else you want in the box, such as privacy, access, information etc. and Click Save (You can even add a photo of the location, although this is entirely optional.)
    fill-in-boxes.png

5. Select the paint bucket button and set the appropriate colour of the pin. (Colour definitions listed in the maps description)
    selectcolour.png

And you're done, the changes have been automatically saved!

(I might place in some custom map icons at a later date instead of the colour system if I have time) - If you want to suggest an icon to use for various reasons, please do!

Also, I have noticed there are some pins that are doubles, please, feel free to delete any duplicates or wrongly placed pins.

Either way, Get in there, have fun, and be safe out there!

(Note for myself: The Google account I have saved the maps under is "JimHensonIsNotaMuppet")
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aussie_Bob on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

Aussie_Bob

Re: Mud Map Reborn - Community Sinking Location Map!

Postby Aussie_Bob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:22 pm

I have added a new layer called "PLEASE FIX THESE PINS" - and I have removed these pins from the Protected map, as they are misplaced, Most of which being placed in the middle of the ocean.

Edit these and correct their locations as you wish.

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:32 pm

I have just finished adding a bunch of seasonal places around Tocumwal Australia, as well as some "Needs some investigation" places in the same area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drnooom

Postby drnooom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:47 am

Thank you Aussie_Bob

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:11 am

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there any sort of color coding going on with the map?

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:24 am

enerj29 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there any sort of colour coding going on with the map?

Good question.

I attempted to keep the colours the same as they were on the original map, (But I completely forgot about what "red" stands for so currently it's "Privacy issues, unless someone else can remember what Red was?)

Either way, there's two different colour sets, depending on which map you're looking at.

The Public locked map has it's Icon colours listed at the top left of page.
mapicons.png

The Editable Map also has it's icon colours listed in the top left (You may need to click "more" to see it)
It's the same colour set as the public map, however there is one extra icon type.
iconmore.png

iconmore2.png

I hope this answers your question :-)

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 am

It does indeed! I moved and updated the markers I put in. Thanks again for doing all the grunt work.

The color coding can be helpful. I like the idea that I can easily know which places may have an issue such as privacy or what hasn’t been explored too thoroughly yet.

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Protected Map Updated with 10 new pins.

Please continue to add new places to the now blank "New Community Places" layer.

Everything in the Editor Map that was in this layer has been moved to a new layer called "Places 2017-12-06 and Older"

I will continue to move new places into their own layers during weekly updates.

update1.png

Aussie_Bob

Postby Aussie_Bob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:23 am

Protected Map Updated with 3 new pins.

Please continue to add new places to the now blank "New Community Places" layer.

Everything in the Editor Map that was in this layer has been moved to a new layer called "Places 2017-12-15 and Older"

I will continue to move new places into their own layers during weekly updates.

Image Displays 3 new pins.
protupdat.png

/sign, never enough Australian places. :-(

farwing

Postby farwing » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:11 am

I went through and re-added most of mine, and fixed up other ones I remember or can tell are off their mark.

Return to “General Discussion”