Flesh eating bacteria?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
theartofmud

Flesh eating bacteria?

Postby theartofmud » Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 am

Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first post.

It's a question I don't see talked about here a lot and I've come out of lurk mode to ask.
I've been looking at articles in Maryland about people getting sick or dying from flesh eating bacteria. People mainly get it from eating raw shellfish or
seafood straight out of the water. However you can also get it by cutting yourself on something while swimming in warm, brackish parts of the Chesapeake bay, especially in marshy areas. its probably much worse in the more southern parts of the states, so I was wondering if it effects people who go sinking in tidal areas.

do sinkers in hot climates have to worry or deal with this kind of thing? if they do, what steps do you have to take to prevent infection?

-theartofmud

Solrex

Re: Flesh eating bacteria?

Postby Solrex » Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 am

I have no idea what I am talking about, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if it's a cut that lets the bacteria in, then I would sink clothed. However, make sure the clothing does not lower your bouyancy point to something that would cause you to submerge. Bring rope if you are unsure.

Cover your orfices. This includes your nose, mouth, ears, and butthole. Do not do anything that would cause the mud to enter the inside of your body. If you want to be overly cautious, I would wear a full body suit, maybe even hazmat, although that might be over doing it.

If it's tidal mud, make sure you get out before the tide comes back in. Give yourself plenty of time to get out.

Want my best advice? Don't sink somewhere where the bacteria in the mud can kill you when you can survive the sink. Butbif this is the only place, make sure to cover up your orfices and your skin. One cut can make an artificial orfice for the bacteria to enter through.

Maybe just make an artificial pit in your backyard instead if you really want to be safe. It will cost a little, that's for sure.

But again, this is me just speaking out of my butt. I have no idea how to deal with this situation. If it were me, I'd find different mud, I don't want to risk death over my kink.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 am

Short of a hazmat suit, there isn't any clothing that will protect you if you have an open wound.

Rule of thumb, don't play in natural locations if your skin is compromised - including fresh tattoos btw.

Otherwise, get used to the smell and enjoy the boner! :mrgreen:
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

theartofmud

Postby theartofmud » Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 pm

dlodoski wrote:Short of a hazmat suit, there isn't any clothing that will protect you if you have an open wound.

Rule of thumb, don't play in natural locations if your skin is compromised - including fresh tattoos btw.

Otherwise, get used to the smell and enjoy the boner! :mrgreen:

I was thinking more of what happens if you get cut by a shell or debris in the mud. I've heard aqua socks and diving shoes are good for protecting your feet, thanks for the advice though. :)

theartofmud

Postby theartofmud » Tue May 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Solrex wrote:I have no idea what I am talking about, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if it's a cut that lets the bacteria in, then I would sink clothed. However, make sure the clothing does not lower your bouyancy point to something that would cause you to submerge. Bring rope if you are unsure.

Cover your orfices. This includes your nose, mouth, ears, and butthole. Do not do anything that would cause the mud to enter the inside of your body. If you want to be overly cautious, I would wear a full body suit, maybe even hazmat, although that might be over doing it.

If it's tidal mud, make sure you get out before the tide comes back in. Give yourself plenty of time to get out.

Want my best advice? Don't sink somewhere where the bacteria in the mud can kill you when you can survive the sink. Butbif this is the only place, make sure to cover up your orfices and your skin. One cut can make an artificial orfice for the bacteria to enter through.

Maybe just make an artificial pit in your backyard instead if you really want to be safe. It will cost a little, that's for sure.

But again, this is me just speaking out of my butt. I have no idea how to deal with this situation. If it were me, I'd find different mud, I don't want to risk death over my kink.

I'll probably be moving up north to Boston next year when I go off to college, so luckily I wont have to worry about this for long. Next time I should combine these 2 replies instead of cluttering the thread with multiple of them?

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Fri May 25, 2018 12:39 pm

theartofmud wrote:
dlodoski wrote:Short of a hazmat suit, there isn't any clothing that will protect you if you have an open wound. Rule of thumb, don't play in natural locations if your skin is compromised - including fresh tattoos btw. Otherwise, get used to the smell and enjoy the boner! :mrgreen:

I was thinking more of what happens if you get cut by a shell or debris in the mud. I've heard aqua socks and diving shoes are good for protecting your feet, thanks for the advice though. :)

I do apologize for overlooking this part of your question.

From my experience, aqua socks are good, but 'beach shoes' are better. You can still get scraped along the legs, but the the shoes mitigate a lot of the risk of serious cuts to the feet.

Once you know that an area is free from hazard, you could consider removing the footwear. Having said all this, do not wear anything with a sole. Make sure the footwear is form fitting.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 am

dlodoski wrote:
From my experience, aqua socks are good, but 'beach shoes' are better. You can still get scraped along the legs, but the the shoes mitigate a lot of the risk of serious cuts to the feet.

Once you know that an area is free from hazard, you could consider removing the footwear. Having said all this, do not wear anything with a sole. Make sure the footwear is form fitting.

Dave, are you talking about not getting stuck?
This adds a lot to the thrill while sinking and is a fetish of its own for a reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51npvmOg8-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Rqj8D-59w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jx955MDpso

I have encountered such situations countless times. Also in much deeper mud, including tidal areas, and never lost a boot.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sat May 26, 2018 2:41 pm

bogbud wrote:
dlodoski wrote:

Dave, are you talking about not getting stuck?

Yes

I do appreciate the sense of satisfaction and swagger that experienced sinkers have. But with no way of knowing just who has such experience, it's best to be candidly cautious when doling out advice.

NobodyGotTime4Dat

Postby NobodyGotTime4Dat » Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Solrex wrote:Cover your orfices. This includes your nose, mouth, ears, and butthole. Do not do anything that would cause the mud to enter the inside of your body.

Wait...so then...if this is what you're supposed to do before entering a mud pit then what about those MPV models that, you know, touched themselves there in those peat/clay pits??

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 pm

Did some reading and It seems like the one thing you need to pick up a case of Necrotizing fasciitis is really bad luck. Basically it's caused by very common bacteria acting in a very uncommon way.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Return to “General Discussion”