Childhood Games

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
quickman

Re: Childhood Games

Postby quickman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 am

Very close by in this new section of town I moved to was an area that was still undeveloped and had a creek running thru it. The kids I made friends with often would go there and wander around. They told me the creek had quicksand in places. Although scarred I had to check it out for myself. I found one place where the silt deposit on the edge was so loose that it gave no resistance to my boot. I remember standing with one foot firmly on the solid bank and probing the silt with the toe of my other. I didn't dare put any more of it in than that. I was afraid if I did, I might lose my balance and get sucked in (as a kid you thought quicksand could do that). Looking back, I wished that I did step into it, with both feet. Now I'll never know if it was just a few inches, a foot, or more .

steve70

Re: Childhood Games

Postby steve70 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Don't know if it was actually a game but when I was a kid, I had an old aunt who lived by the coast and there were allegedly quicksands on the shore near her house. When my parents went to visit her I was the only child in a group of adults, and so when I was old enough to go out alone I would head down to the shore hoping to find some quicksand, just to see what it was like and whether I could sink. Never found anything serious, but had a good time doing so.

Return to “General Discussion”