Quicksand VR video game?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
The Great Red Spot

Quicksand VR video game?

Postby The Great Red Spot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:57 am

So, I have been watching videos of VR simulator games on Spammal's Youtube channel recently, and I have been wondering, what a Quicksand simulator game should be like if one is ever made. :geek:

klib21

Re: Quicksand VR video game?

Postby klib21 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:02 am

It would be simple enough (for a game developer) to create an environment for a character to explore and sink in, and create a VR experience. The issue, though, is the disconnect with your limbs and other sensations. It may look and sound like you're sinking in quicksand, but how do you restrain your limbs? I suppose self-bondage would be the answer.

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:00 pm

I have actually given this some consideration a while ago. Of course you wouldn't *feel* the quicksand, but a well-made VR quicksand experience still sounds quite interesting even without physical restraints. I use the term "experience" here, because that's what they usually call the sort of VR thing that lacks any sort of gameplay element. An actual VR game would be much more complex and offer some sort of challenge such as rescuing yourself or whoever is sinking into the quicksand.

It's definitely something I would like to try and play, but I doubt there's much of a market for QS VR games. ;) But hey, maybe someone will give it a shot anyway, so feel free to throw around some ideas for what should go into this kind of VR game/experience.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Aiko wrote:I have actually given this some consideration a while ago. Of course you wouldn't *feel* the quicksand, but a well-made VR quicksand experience still sounds quite interesting even without physical restraints. I use the term "experience" here, because that's what they usually call the sort of VR thing that lacks any sort of gameplay element. An actual VR game would be much more complex and offer some sort of challenge such as rescuing yourself or whoever is sinking into the quicksand.

It's definitely something I would like to try and play, but I doubt there's much of a market for QS VR games. ;) But hey, maybe someone will give it a shot anyway, so feel free to throw around some ideas for what should go into this kind of VR game/experience.

I know that scientists and engineers have experimented with devices that would provide some degree of tactile feedback to a human user, although I don't know how much progress has been made. For example, consider a device worn as a glove that would control, say a scalpel moving across a patient's flesh and that would provide the wearer (surgeon) feedback on how much pressure is being applied. Such a device might allow a surgeon in a secure location to do emergency surgery on a patient in a battle zone.
If feedback can be provided for pressure it ought to be a relatively small step to add other forms of feedback, such as heat and cold (heat, cold, and pressure are all detected by different sensory organs within the skin, and interpreted in specific locations in the brain).
I suspect that there probably WOULD be a market for some sort of whole-body suit, perhaps as a device for adult-oriented virtual reality games behaviors.
Note that I used itlic type because there appear to be no struck-through characters.
For the foreseeable future, however, it would probably cheaper to just build a mudpit.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Fred588 wrote:
Aiko wrote:I have actually given this some consideration a while ago. Of course you wouldn't *feel* the quicksand, but a well-made VR quicksand experience still sounds quite interesting even without physical restraints. I use the term "experience" here, because that's what they usually call the sort of VR thing that lacks any sort of gameplay element. An actual VR game would be much more complex and offer some sort of challenge such as rescuing yourself or whoever is sinking into the quicksand.

I know that scientists and engineers have experimented with devices that would provide some degree of tactile feedback to a human user, although I don't know how much progress has been made. For example, consider a device worn as a glove that would control, say a scalpel moving across a patient's flesh and that would provide the wearer (surgeon) feedback on how much pressure is being applied. Such a device might allow a surgeon in a secure location to do emergency surgery on a patient in a battle zone.
If feedback can be provided for pressure it ought to be a relatively small step to add other forms of feedback, such as heat and cold (heat, cold, and pressure are all detected by different sensory organs within the skin, and interpreted in specific locations in the brain).
I suspect that there probably WOULD be a market for some sort of whole-body suit, perhaps as a device for adult-oriented virtual reality games behaviors.
Note that I used itlic type because there appear to be no struck-through characters.
For the foreseeable future, however, it would probably cheaper to just build a mudpit.

Well, there is the Teslasuit (https://teslasuit.io/), or there will be someday, maybe. Not sure after their Kickstarter got cancelled. Anyway, when I said you would not feel it, I was referring to VR as it is available today.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

Gizzmo1996

Postby Gizzmo1996 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 pm

it's not VR but the new game red dead redemptipn. I have made a petition for the online on that game and requested they put quicksand around different locations of the map could you sign the petition and share it about please

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/qui ... ead-online

Mightymeat

Postby Mightymeat » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:03 pm

It's not perfect yet, but I have started work on a tar pit in VR on the social game Neos.

There's no haptic feedback as most people wouldn't have the equipment for it. It's also fairly simplistic.

quicksand3D

Postby quicksand3D » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:29 pm

If the game developer could rig an interface with this type of air compression suit ($430. )to VR simulate the sensation of the sinking QS grip then perhaps it could become a reality
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:39 pm

quicksand3D wrote:If the game developer could rig an interface with this type of air compression suit ($430. )to VR simulate the sensation of the sinking QS grip then perhaps it could become a reality

I know next to nothing about VR games but I will suggest a different approach. Rather than a compression suit, if one had a suit or other device that could simply simulate a degree of resistance to movement, the none could perhaps get the effects of pressure, temperature, and even wetness all at once by wearing the device in a small swimming pool (allowances being made for safety - water and electrical). Then add some goggles to create the desired visual effects.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:51 pm

Hate to say it but once you've had the real thing I don't think anything below the level of a Holodeck or plugging yourself into the Matrix would feel "real" enough.
The other thing I think would be missing is smell. It's not something we often think about but the way the smell of wet earth grows stronger and stronger as you're drawn deeper into it is a part of the experience as well. Also taste if you get deep enough. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Return to “General Discussion”