Another idea for finding sinking locations.

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Sinkman61

Re: Another idea for finding sinking locations.

Postby Sinkman61 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Over the past few days I’ve finally been able to go exploring on my jet ski. Obviously I’m out searching for mud. But not just any mud, as around here even a blind man can find mud. I’ve been looking for just the right consistency. It’s got to be viscous, extremely sticky, and silky smooth to the touch. There simply can’t be any limbs, clumps, or other impediments that could negatively affect the perfect sink. It’s also got to be deep, really really deep, so that when I sink completely vertical and do a full submergence, there’s nothing but more mud under my feet. Lastly, it’s got to be of the right thickness. Ideally, that would mean sinking down to my knees on the first step in, followed by slightly deeper steps immediately afterwards. But they should still be the same thickness even though the next steps involve sinking deeper. That’s because unlike that first step, those following steps require the removal of my other leg in order to proceed any further. The mud can’t be so soft that it’s like thick water, as such mud doesn’t create enough suction to allow you to naturally sink below your typical buoyancy point without working to pull yourself deeper. That means it’s thickness has to be enough to hold you down as you try to escape without being so thick that it’s crushing your legs down in the deepest parts (this can actually cause nerve and muscle damage if in for any real length of time). I want mud that is such I can sink down without any pulling until mud is entering my ears and I’m nearly under. It’s mud that doesn’t allow me to just float back up because it’s suction is a stronger force than that of my body’s buoyancy.

After about three hours of numerous stops along the Intercoastal, I hit jackpot. It’s about an acre of what I would call PERFECT mud. So yesterday I went straight to the spot (about 10 minutes from the boat launch) where I thoroughly exploded the area surrounding this incredible mud bank. And while other boaters can easily see you sinking, they can only do so at a considerable distance, so privacy is still really good. This is a spot where I can literally drop the anchor and then do a giant jump right off the side into the mud. I ended up sinking three different times yesterday, with 2 being full submergence sinks. It’s a terrific spot if there ever was one. And one where the oyster shells aren’t an issue. Now I’m just looking for a mud buddy that really wants to join in on some awesome sinking fun!!!

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:08 am

Sinkman61 wrote:Over the past few days I’ve finally been able to go exploring on my jet ski. Obviously I’m out searching for mud. But not just any mud, as around here even a blind man can find mud. I’ve been looking for just the right consistency. It’s got to be viscous, extremely sticky, and silky smooth to the touch. There simply can’t be any limbs, clumps, or other impediments that could negatively affect the perfect sink. It’s also got to be deep, really really deep, so that when I sink completely vertical and do a full submergence, there’s nothing but more mud under my feet. Lastly, it’s got to be of the right thickness. Ideally, that would mean sinking down to my knees on the first step in, followed by slightly deeper steps immediately afterwards. But they should still be the same thickness even though the next steps involve sinking deeper. That’s because unlike that first step, those following steps require the removal of my other leg in order to proceed any further. The mud can’t be so soft that it’s like thick water, as such mud doesn’t create enough suction to allow you to naturally sink below your typical buoyancy point without working to pull yourself deeper. That means it’s thickness has to be enough to hold you down as you try to escape without being so thick that it’s crushing your legs down in the deepest parts (this can actually cause nerve and muscle damage if in for any real length of time). I want mud that is such I can sink down without any pulling until mud is entering my ears and I’m nearly under. It’s mud that doesn’t allow me to just float back up because it’s suction is a stronger force than that of my body’s buoyancy.

After about three hours of numerous stops along the Intercoastal, I hit jackpot. It’s about an acre of what I would call PERFECT mud. So yesterday I went straight to the spot (about 10 minutes from the boat launch) where I thoroughly exploded the area surrounding this incredible mud bank. And while other boaters can easily see you sinking, they can only do so at a considerable distance, so privacy is still really good. This is a spot where I can literally drop the anchor and then do a giant jump right off the side into the mud. I ended up sinking three different times yesterday, with 2 being full submergence sinks. It’s a terrific spot if there ever was one. And one where the oyster shells aren’t an issue. Now I’m just looking for a mud buddy that really wants to join in on some awesome sinking fun!!!

any chance you caught your struggles on video for us ? :)

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:25 pm

I may in the future. My last sinking adventure was in the same general vicinity, but further up the tidal creek as that mud bank was covered by water. I don’t care much for sinking in mud that’s covered with water, even if it’s just a few inches. Even though it was low tide, the wind was blowing across the water hard enough to keep that particular mud bank completely covered with water. So I’ll go back at a later date.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:55 am

So gamwam, when are YOU going to venture out and explore the muddy tidal estuary in NE Florida for yourself? There’s not very many such locations left here because of way too much construction going on. There’s another developer that’s trying to put another neighborhood in along a section of the tidal estuary that somehow got overlooked when the state was trying to acquire the land so they could protect it. Unfortunately with the Trump administration, all they give a damn about is making money. They couldn’t possibly care any less about protecting our planet so it remains viable as the only known place that’s capable of supporting life in the known universe. And while I have absolutely no doubt that there’s intelligent life elsewhere (saying that there’s intelligent life here on Earth is questionable at best) in our universe, destroying our world for the almighty dollar is just stupid beyond belief.

So those that do visit our estuary for sinking fun, please take back with you anything you bring in, as we don’t want soda cans, plastic bags, or other trash littering our natural habitats. For doing that, I thank you in advance.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Sinkman61 wrote:So gamwam, when are YOU going to venture out and explore the muddy tidal estuary in NE Florida for yourself? There’s not very many such locations left here because of way too much construction going on. There’s another developer that’s trying to put another neighborhood in along a section of the tidal estuary that somehow got overlooked when the state was trying to acquire the land so they could protect it. Unfortunately with the Trump administration, all they give a damn about is making money. They couldn’t possibly care any less about protecting our planet so it remains viable as the only known place that’s capable of supporting life in the known universe. And while I have absolutely no doubt that there’s intelligent life elsewhere (saying that there’s intelligent life here on Earth is questionable at best) in our universe, destroying our world for the almighty dollar is just stupid beyond belief.

So those that do visit our estuary for sinking fun, please take back with you anything you bring in, as we don’t want soda cans, plastic bags, or other trash littering our natural habitats. For doing that, I thank you in advance.

i would love to :) it would be a dream locations for me,. all i have acess to here in the uk is a ever shrinking peat bog which is hours from my home and an old quarry that is now closed and is slowly drying out and soon to become a new shopping centre - if i could afford a sinking holiday accross the ocean then florida would be the place to go as i am sure you would maybe be able to show me the best spots for a superdeep sink,. which is just how i like it :)

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:41 am

gamwam wrote:
Sinkman61 wrote:So gamwam, when are YOU going to venture out and explore the muddy tidal estuary in NE Florida for yourself? There’s not very many such locations left here because of way too much construction going on. There’s another developer that’s trying to put another neighborhood in along a section of the tidal estuary that somehow got overlooked when the state was trying to acquire the land so they could protect it. Unfortunately with the Trump administration, all they give a damn about is making money. They couldn’t possibly care any less about protecting our planet so it remains viable as the only known place that’s capable of supporting life in the known universe. And while I have absolutely no doubt that there’s intelligent life elsewhere (saying that there’s intelligent life here on Earth is questionable at best) in our universe, destroying our world for the almighty dollar is just stupid beyond belief.

i would love to :) it would be a dream locations for me,. all i have acess to here in the uk is a ever shrinking peat bog which is hours from my home and an old quarry that is now closed and is slowly drying out and soon to become a new shopping centre - if i could afford a sinking holiday accross the ocean then florida would be the place to go as i am sure you would maybe be able to show me the best spots for a superdeep sink,. which is just how i like it :)

Well, if you ever manage to get over here in the states, you’re more than welcome to stay at my home should you decide to go sinking here in NE Florida. Additionally, I live in the country’s oldest city as well, so there’s plenty of other things to see and do as well. And Orlando and it’s numerous theme parks are just 2 hours away. NASA is about 1.5 hours south of me. I’m about halfway between Daytona and Jacksonville. The beaches here are just a short walk, roughly three blocks to the east of my house.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Sinkman61 wrote:
gamwam wrote:

Well, if you ever manage to get over here in the states, you’re more than welcome to stay at my home should you decide to go sinking here in NE Florida. Additionally, I live in the country’s oldest city as well, so there’s plenty of other things to see and do as well. And Orlando and it’s numerous theme parks are just 2 hours away. NASA is about 1.5 hours south of me. I’m about halfway between Daytona and Jacksonville. The beaches here are just a short walk, roughly three blocks to the east of my house.

a very kind offer,. i try to visit Florida twice a year - so i may take you up on that at some point :)

Lintime Sinker

Postby Lintime Sinker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi Sinkman,
And I'm from France and the spots are more and more hard to find... And the weather is quite cold...
I would like also visit Florida later, but with this covid19, all is perturbed. What are the better dates to come ?

GordonM

Postby GordonM » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Sinkman61...I'm about 7 hours north of you in Myrtle Beach, SC. Many years ago, I briefly played around with mud and sinking. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I let that part slip away.

I'm 63 now and in reasonably good health. I had a heart valve repaired last year, and I'm starting to exercise more. I do get down into Florida occasionally on business. If it can work out, would you be willing to host a relative newbie for a day of mud play?

Return to “General Discussion”