something i have been wondering..

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
muddypup

something i have been wondering..

Postby muddypup » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello everyone, so as the quicksand season fast approaches, one big thought has been going through my head. I have seen and passed many many excellent looking spots over my years and have never tried them out because i have never found a good spot to clean up/wash off either right beside the area that i want to sink in or close to it. So i'm just wondering how others have solved this problem, or have any tips cause i really want to get out and expand my horizon in sinking locations.

gamwam

Re: something i have been wondering..

Postby gamwam » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:57 pm

thats easy,...just take a big bottle of water.... 3ltr usually does me

rememebr you only need to clean off your head and hands,.. you can let the rest of the mud dry on your body,.. and either brush it off,.. or just put clothes on overthe top of it,.... as long as the bits that people can see are clean,.. whos gonna know your body is covered n crusty mud under your clothes?

this also works for "costume mudders" as all thats needed is a change of clothes

gaz

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:18 am

Due to some renovations via bulldozer the cleanup spot at my quarry wasn't accessible last year. I took to just using my hands for squeegees and wiping off what I could, then laying several towls over my car seat to keep everything from getting too dirty on the drive home. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:13 am

There have been times when I've gotten an inexpensive motel room with a door that opens outside. Just throw some towels over the car seats and remain crusty until your party hits the shower. If you have a friend the local coin-op car wash works pretty well too. Failing all that you can always take Boggyman's idea of filling old Coke bottles and taking them with you. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:45 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:Failing all that you can always take Boggyman's idea of filling old Coke bottles and taking them with you. 8-)

Actually, I use plastic drink bottles to carry Kool-Aid to keep me hydrated during my outings. I always make certain I have a source of water nearby to clean up with, and it can even be a small puddle. However, I agree that bringing along containers of water can allow for sinks in places that don't have it handy. 8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Fitzwill

Postby Fitzwill » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Several of my spots don't exactly have great cleanup locations either... here's what I do:

First, bring a towel, or I have used my clean shirt in a pinch. I will wear plain white under shirts you can buy in bulk and they are pretty cheap. You can just chuck it afterwards if you want.

Wipe off most of what you can (if there is a little bit of water around use it) Wash from the top down (i remember once washing off my legs and then realizing that my whole upper body was still covered, obviously that didn't work well because it would all just drip back down my legs) While you are wet use either a clean shirt or a towel to wipe off still more. After that, I sit in the sun and let the little that's left dry on me (dry stuff doesn't stain the interior of your car).

Towels work ok for the car, but I found at any auto parts store you can buy seat covers. The one I bought works fantastically. it's the heavy duty woven nylon one, because it's machine-washable (that last part is very important).

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Over the years, I've tried out a number of ways, and found simple is best.

I assemble a "swamp kit" as it were, comntaining four 2-liter bottles of water for rinsing afterwards, a collection of old towels and cloths, and a change of clothing. All placed inside a handy backpack. That does the trick.

Ideally, being close to a water supply is best, such as a shallow stream or pond, but where my spot is, that isn't workable. Thick brambles and such surround my sinking spot on three sides, which adds to the security, but keeps me away from the water which is nearby.

That;s just my two cents. :)

muddypup

Postby muddypup » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:15 pm

awesome suggestions guys and gals ^.^ i have always been so worried about the cleanup afterwards that i havent gone out and explored alot more than i could have. i will definitely be using some of these ideas this year :)

rgadt

Postby rgadt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 am

You can buy a collapsible water bottle/bladder at a camping type store, that will hold a couple or three gallons which should provide plenty of water if you have a source near your sinking spot. That saves having to haul it the entire distance sometimes, anyway.
rgadt

Return to “General Discussion”