Sinking - first person perspective

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
PM2K
Always Remembered

Sinking - first person perspective

Postby PM2K » Sun May 02, 2010 5:57 pm

This is really a question I'd like to throw out to all of the qs prodiucers and camera guys out there... have you ever had the urge to revisit the idea of the first person perspective of someone going under? I would think with the success of the sand pit, it would be even more doable now... with the right gear to prtect the camera, that is.

What got me thinking about this was the male quicksand scene from Stanley, which at the end showed the muck slowly covering over the lens as you hear the victim's last gurgling pleadings. It really worked for me, but I suspect technically would be tricky...

Any thoughts? :)

Aiko

Re: Sinking - first person perspective

Postby Aiko » Sun May 02, 2010 7:02 pm

A scene from the Blair Witch Quicksand Project:

F1: "Drop the damn camera and help me!"
F2: "But I have to document this."
F1: "Come on, dammit! I really need a hand here. I'm sinking!"
F2: "Alright, alright... Just... hmm. Uh-oh."
F1: "What?"
F2: "I think I'm a little bit stuck here."

I like the idea. :D
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

XaNtHuS

Postby XaNtHuS » Sun May 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Ah now I remember bringing this up years ago back on the old forum when it was 'cool' >.>

I brought up the idea of using even a simple cheaper camcorder or something with those waterproof square box-like containers that surround everything but the cameras lense. Which would be easily cleaned of course >.> Or covered in a nice tight seal of wrap >.> iono.

HI PMK! lol

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:40 pm

This is an interesting idea to me, although I think I'd be inclined to try it in standard definition since HD cameras are still on the expensive side.

PM2K wrote:This is really a question I'd like to throw out to all of the qs prodiucers and camera guys out there... have you ever had the urge to revisit the idea of the first person perspective of someone going under? I would think with the success of the sand pit, it would be even more doable now... with the right gear to prtect the camera, that is.

What got me thinking about this was the male quicksand scene from Stanley, which at the end showed the muck slowly covering over the lens as you hear the victim's last gurgling pleadings. It really worked for me, but I suspect technically would be tricky...

Any thoughts? :)
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Robert
Producer

Postby Robert » Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 am

We have had this idea in our heads for a few years. Trying to get a waterproof case that does not distort or reflect glare has been the hang up. Donations or ideas would be accepted.

Robert

quicksand vincent

Postby quicksand vincent » Mon May 10, 2010 1:31 am

yeah i remember that scene from the movie stanley .i think they should have used a female actor in that swamp scene .

mud_boi

Postby mud_boi » Mon May 10, 2010 5:43 am

PM2K wrote:What got me thinking about this was the male quicksand scene from Stanley, which at the end showed the muck slowly covering over the lens as you hear the victim's last gurgling pleadings.

Which quicksand scene are you talking about? Where is that at?

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon May 10, 2010 7:14 am

mud_boi wrote:
PM2K wrote:What got me thinking about this was the male quicksand scene from Stanley, which at the end showed the muck slowly covering over the lens as you hear the victim's last gurgling pleadings.

Which quicksand scene are you talking about? Where is that at?

It's from a 1972 horror film named "Stanley," about a crazed Vietnam veteran who lives in the swamps and has a pet snake named, oddly enough, Stanley. Sort of a reptillian verson of Willard... Anyway, in one scene, two poachers blunder into quicksand, and the veteran plus his snake watch them go under... a pretty cool scene.

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 am

Robert wrote:We have had this idea in our heads for a few years. Trying to get a waterproof case that does not distort or reflect glare has been the hang up. Donations or ideas would be accepted.

Sony makes a waterproof enclosure for their handycam line called the Sportspack.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665061590

Depending on the model you pick, they are as cheap as $120 at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... Search=yes

While not the level of a professional enclosure, they are miles beyond the "waterproof ziploc" concept. I've taken one of these frolicking in Hawaii surf several times, and never been let down. You do have to be pretty serious about de-humidification to prevent fogging, but I've found that loading the camera and dissicant packs a couple of days before shooting does the trick.

Plus, if you happen to be shooting with Sony cams, you actually have complete control of every function, including menu access, from the outside controls.

Glare is controlled by a pretty simple threaded "black donut." Never had any issues with distortion.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to “General Discussion”