Intercoastal Mudding in Jacksonville / St Augustine

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
mudinmiami

Intercoastal Mudding in Jacksonville / St Augustine

Postby mudinmiami » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Hey,

It’s my first time posting on this forum, but most definitely not my first time mudding. I’ve been thinking of driving up to the Guana Reserve this Sunday at some point during low tide to do some investigation and hopefully some sinking.

Has anyone been up there recently that can share experiences or tips hopefully? I’m a little interested and concerned about the reports of snakes, gators and shells. It’s my first time in tidal mud, usually I stick to quarries.

Hope someone can help so I can come back with my own pics from what seems to be a glorious mud haven.

Boggyhoo

Re: Intercoastal Mudding in Jacksonville / St Augustine

Postby Boggyhoo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm

I am new here also.

BH

Metablip

Re: Intercoastal Mudding in Jacksonville / St Augustine

Postby Metablip » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Can confirm, it is definitely a glorious mud haven.

My favorite spot in the area is right off one of the main hiking trails (which has led to one or two awkward encounters, but nothing too bad :lol: ), and at that location, you don't have to worry about shells. However, as you move further north where there is more privacy and acres of mud, the need for exploration goes up, and you'll definitely want to be wearing some protective footwear as you trek though this mud that does have shells throughout.

I've yet to run into snakes and gators, but they certainly are out there. Based on the reading I've done, the main thing to do is give them space, and slowly move around them, or slowly start backtracking (although if anyone with more knowledge about dealing with wildlife would like to correct me, please do!).

I've only gone sinking in this area a handful of times since 2018, and there are definitely people with additional information (If you search for Sinkman61's posts, a lot of his threads contain loads of useful advice in regards to hiking & sinking at the Guana River Reserve), but it is certainly the most consistent place I know for sinking in wonderful, thick, bottomless mud.

Return to “General Discussion”