Tidal Mudflats Before I Adventure

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Sinkman61

Re: Tidal Mudflats Before I Adventure

Postby Sinkman61 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:56 am

enerj29 wrote:
Sinkman61 wrote:I can see where that could become a liability, especially for the company that owns the property. In this day and age of everyone wanting to get rich quick by suing others, I definitely see why a company wouldn’t want us out on their property sinking in their mud pits. They’ve certainly got the right to keep us out. And more and more of these places are installing cameras, although I doubt that they’re watching the mud pits, at least, not until someone has obviously been out sinking in one, as the slide and walking marks as well as all the spots where we go playing aren’t going to suddenly disappear before the next work day arrives unless there’s a major downpour between our playing in their mud and their noticing the be shoveled mess we created in what was a smooth, flat surface. IF ONLY THEY HAD TIDES...

Tides may add an element of danger, but they also renew the surface by erasing the evidence of our presence the day before.

So I guess my question becomes, are there tidal areas to sink which don’t get covered by the water, or maybe only a cm or 2? Would that be enough to keep the mud a good consistency? I’d love to try sinking in tidal mud, but safely of course. And what do you mean about being by the sun? Is it just that it will get super hot for the hours that you’re in the mud?

Sorry it took so long to notice your question at the end there...the answer is YES...MOST DEFINITELY. There are some seriously deep mud areas that aren’t covered up except on exceptionally high tides. Those areas tend to have much thicker mud as well. Additionally, they’re generally covered with various plants, making good sinking spots harder to find. You really gotta search for a bit softer mud that’ll allow you to naturally sink into. Keep in mind, if the area requires you to work the mud with your feet before you can really sink down into it, you’re probably only going to sink down about waist deep at best. So search around and don’t assume that all the mud will be that dense, because more likely than not, there’s going to be softer areas as well. They’re typically found in areas where the vegetation thins out a bit. There’s an area south of my house that’s perfect for sinking during high tide. Almost...unfortunately, there’s also a draw bridge within view as well as plenty of traffic going over the bridge. It’s a better night spot than day spot. At night it’s very secluded from the road in a direction where cars won’t see you. You can sink there in the day as well, because the plant material will provide decent cover for you as long as you sink down to your waist quickly. The deepest I’ve sank there was to the top of my shoulders. I would’ve gone deeper, as this mud is completely unaffected by your buoyancy point (as most tidal mud happens to be). But getting back out is tougher as you don’t want to be seen by the traffic. Last time I had to dig myself completely out.

Return to “General Discussion”