Today was my first real sinking experience!!

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Andybarned

Today was my first real sinking experience!!

Postby Andybarned » Sun May 10, 2020 8:06 pm

Right long story short to get to today ~ I’ve never been able to explore my fetish for sinking - ex wasn’t into it. So after our 10 year marriage ended I started to explore some of my kinks.

In the past few weeks I’ve been walking lots on the beach and came across some wet marl at the base of the cliffs ~ I live on the east coast of England and these suffolk coastlines are constantly being eroded.

The wet marl was interesting, no more than ankle deep BUT wobbled just like the mud does is so many scenes I’ve watched.

So last night I started browsing google earth in my local area and I found a quarry. Oh my. And it was on my drive home route after dropping my son back to his mums. Eeek.

So on my way back tonight I found it and parked up.

Nipped under the barrier, down the slope and on my right were the signs “danger quicksand keep out” ~ never has a sign been more welcoming to me!!

I walked to the nearest silt pit and it was pretty full of water, the next one was too, the third was dried up but I went to look around.

There were cracks all over the surface and I could see a shift in tone on the mud at the far end. I walked over to it and it was soft, a little springy but a good match around it did little to change what was underfoot. Undeterred I climbed out of that pit and fired up google earth.. there was a 4th pit in the far corner.

Under more barbed wire and I was alongside a pit 1/4 water - the rest sand. There was a cut away on the far side so I scrambled around the edge of the pit to the far side and sat on the cut away and placed my foot on the sand.

Solid.

I shuffled around, watching the surface but it didn’t respond so I walked slowly around the bump and to a small incline in the corner. As soon as my foot rested on it the soft grainy sand gave way and my foot was instantly an inch lower than before. Cautiously I placed my other foot along side and the surface wobbled ever so slightly. I shifted from one foot to the next and quickly the sand turned into runny clay and I was slipping deeper into it.

Just like in the stories I read I went to pull up my left foot and felt my right foot going deeper ~ switch legs and now my left is being consumed by the hungry clay. In front of me was a good 3’ of clay begging me to step into and feel it’s embrace but right now this was to be enjoyed.

Finally I found something firm beneath my feet and my sinking stopped. Taking a moment to straighten my thoughts I could now see both of my legs, surrounded by quivering brown clay and just more clay ahead.

I wanted to take a step further.

A step deeper.

A step way more dangerous but I couldn’t. I was there alone and this being my first time made it extremely nerve wracking for me as I didn’t know if I would be able to get out. Right now I had a surface behind me. Out there would be just more clay.

So I worked my feet out, shoes and jeans now ruined, and walked around the shore line of this sand mass. Some little wobbles here and there but I kept going.

At the other end we’re two pipes that fed the pit with water, below them the sand was smooth and dark. I pressed my foot against it. What I saw was captivating. The ground was solid enough for me to stand full weight on but the whole area bounded and wobbled.

I gave a small and a crack appeared at the far edge and the wobbling increased. I stepped back, again half scared half aware I have no rescue plan - cleaning up the mess I had already made was going to be tough... “another day” I thought to myself, “I’ll try you another day“.

So I scrambled up the side, legs caked in clay, shoes now orange where once they were black and I left.

I will return again soon.. maybe who knows, somebody in suffolk may just want to come play too!!

I’ve attached a google images shot of the pit, I can’t believe it’s so close to me!

Thanks for reading and if anybody has any advice or wants to chat about it I’d be happy to natter!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bogbud

Re: Today was my first real sinking experience!!

Postby bogbud » Sun May 10, 2020 9:07 pm

Once you get addicted to it you are going to want more and more.
I guess that most of us real sinkers sank knee-deep already as kids, so you are well behind :lol:

Starting to sink at a quarry (and even an active one) could be a bad idea. There's the risk of detection and do you know what to do when you get stuck in deep?
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Andybarned

Postby Andybarned » Sun May 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Hey Bogbud!

Yeah, I’m already wanting to go back and it’s only been a few hours :D

Yeah, they’re closed up at the moment due to Covid rules but close sat midday through Monday so detection would be slim if I want in that window I hope - there is a massive estuary near me at Blythburgh which I would LOVE to try too..

Exploring is new to me too ~ but I’m excited and keeping my eyes open and I’ve read up what to do if you get stuck *but* feel that’s why my idea world would have a sinking buddy!!

Thanks for the encouragement :D

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sun May 10, 2020 9:35 pm

I didn't want to ruin it for you but you should also consider you are always leaving signs of your presence behind. There could be a hole in the fence or suspiciously new tracks in the mud. Also consider there could be cameras.

Ah yes, the urge to go back is possibly a sign that you did not went deep enough. When I've gone all the way down in my bog and/or have been seriously deep stuck with my boots I'm tired, exhausted but also deeply satisfied for some time. 8-)
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Andybarned

Postby Andybarned » Sun May 10, 2020 11:01 pm

Nope you’re not sucking the fun out - all very reasonable precautions!!!

At the moment waist deep is my goal :D

Thanks for the support and heads up for considerations!!

Now... let me find some natural quicksand... where’s my ordinary survey map :lol:

maria

Postby maria » Mon May 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Get yourself a stick 6'long and use it to explore. If the stick glides easily into the mud 4' then tread softly :o

Make sure the stick is strong enough to support your weight, as it is an essential tool!

Like Bogbud says, once you sink past your knees, you'll be addicted :D

Have fun and maybe post a pic of the quarry mud surface for further analysis!

Andybarned

Postby Andybarned » Mon May 11, 2020 11:04 pm

Thank you all!!

Sounds like a trip back is needed... hmmm I wonder just how soon I can fit it in!!

Eeeek ~ so exciting!

cududes

Postby cududes » Mon May 11, 2020 11:47 pm

I leave an old fishing pole in my truck. I was just out looking for a fishing spot when I fell in.

BTW, is there a place nearby I can wash off in?

Its a great excuse.

Enjoy

[xdude]

Postby [xdude] » Tue May 12, 2020 10:39 am

Welcome to the club Andy!

Sounds a lot like my first experience. Took my legs a couple minutes to stop shaking.

Good luck in your future adventures and I hope to see more of you.
“I need someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I’ve only done this a few times.”

sandymandy

Postby sandymandy » Thu May 14, 2020 7:41 pm

Wow! That looks amazing! Whereabouts are you in Suffolk?
I live in that area but it is kind of spread out! x

Return to “General Discussion”