Guana Reserve, Saint Augustine

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Sinkman61

Guana Reserve, Saint Augustine

Postby Sinkman61 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:58 pm

If there’s anyone interested in going sinking in the Guana Reserve and needs a guide or just wants company, I live about 15 miles south of that location in Saint Augustine, Florida. If you’re not familiar with the area, it’s got some of the very best tidal mud that you’ll ever experience. Additionally, if you’re thinking about going for some sinking fun but the distance is such that you may need to stay overnight, I have a spare bedroom/bath that’s free of any charges. I can be reached at (904) 471-2629. Ask for Scottie and make sure to leave a message. I screen calls going to that number, and just block pranksters. I’m usually free nearly anytime of the week, so it doesn’t necessarily have to be on a weekend. But it does have to be during days that have a low tide during daylight hours, as this area is a Tidal Estuary. And as such, should you choose to go there on your own, PLEASE, leave only your footprints behind for the incoming tide to erase. Take everything else you brought back out with you.

enerj29

Re: Guana Reserve, Saint Augustine

Postby enerj29 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Thanks for this post. I was thinking about maybe taking a trip to Florida towards the end of the year if possible and would love to experience some tidal mud and would be willing to take you up on your offer. I actually visited at Augustine a few yrs back and thought it was nice but didn’t get to check out the mud. How is the temperature and the mud late me in the year, say Nov-Dec?

indiana89

Postby indiana89 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 pm

enerj29 wrote:Thanks for this post. I was thinking about maybe taking a trip to Florida towards the end of the year if possible and would love to experience some tidal mud and would be willing to take you up on your offer. I actually visited at Augustine a few yrs back and thought it was nice but didn’t get to check out the mud. How is the temperature and the mud late me in the year, say Nov-Dec?

It can definitely get pretty cold in November/December down here, but this past year honestly was not that bad compared to previous years. I was able to go out well into November with no issues. The weather has been beautiful lately, so a drive down to Guana is in the cards for the coming weeks.

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:17 pm

indiana89 wrote:
enerj29 wrote:Thanks for this post. I was thinking about maybe taking a trip to Florida towards the end of the year if possible and would love to experience some tidal mud and would be willing to take you up on your offer. I actually visited at Augustine a few yrs back and thought it was nice but didn’t get to check out the mud. How is the temperature and the mud late me in the year, say Nov-Dec?

It can definitely get pretty cold in November/December down here, but this past year honestly was not that bad compared to previous years. I was able to go out well into November with no issues. The weather has been beautiful lately, so a drive down to Guana is in the cards for the coming weeks.

Cool! So I probably won’t be able to plan for summer, but in your opinion, what’s a good time to visit in the fall? Can I do Nov-Dec or should I shoot for Oct?

indiana89

Postby indiana89 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:49 pm

enerj29 wrote:
indiana89 wrote:

Cool! So I probably won’t be able to plan for summer, but in your opinion, what’s a good time to visit in the fall? Can I do Nov-Dec or should I shoot for Oct?

November-December will be fine. You'll have 80 degree days and you'll have 60 degree days. But keep up with your weather reports and you won't have any issues.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:04 pm

October is an ideal time to go sinking here in NE Florida. The weather is usually ideal, and the water is still warm enough for your cleanups. December can be a bit chilly, but it really varies and is nearly impossible to predict. Saint Augustine sits right at the southern boundary that separates the cold north from the tropical southern part of the country, so one day can be 45-55 degrees and the very next can be in the mid 70’s to low 80’s. We really get some ridiculous temperature swings here. This year we had the nicest Spring that I can remember, with nights down into the 50’s and low 60’s right into June. Highly unusual, but a welcomed break. Currently we’re in the worst time of the year. Upper 80’s to low 90’s, which, when compared to further up north into the middle of the country is actually rather nice...until you add in the 100% humidity every day. That makes those temperatures miserable. Sweat doesn’t evaporate off your body, so it’s really easy to push yourself to the point of heat stroke. Additionally, the water in the tidal creeks where the best mud’s located will become miserably HOT, so you can’t use that as a means of cooling off. And cleanup can be a real bitch...the water will easily exceed 100+ plus until the tide comes rushing back in, bringing cooler water from the Intercoastal Waterway back into the tidal creeks. The water gets so hot during low tide because it’s murky enough to absorb the sun’s rays, but shallow and mostly stagnant during slack tide. So it just keeps getting hotter and hotter until the tide finally changes. Of course, that’s when you need to end your sinking anyhow. The mud itself is amazingly refreshing and will be nice and cool beneath the surface. It feels wonderful on a really hot day. But by August the mud’s no longer cool. I can’t remember it ever getting uncomfortably hot though. And when the temperatures drop in the fall, that warm mud feels terrific.

The area I like best is extremely private. I doubt there’s many people that have ever been back there. But to get to it requires a bit of hiking...first from the parking lot where it’s about 1.5 miles in, and then a cut through the woods that helps in isolating the area. It’s pretty much bottomless. The texture of the mud itself is silky smooth...it’s pure tidal mud. But boots are required to get past the oyster shells that line the banks. Once you’re out in the mud, they’re generally no longer an issue. I highly recommend hightop neoprene diving booties that secure with laces. That’s to prevent them from getting sucked off your feet. Otherwise you’ll be in deep trouble when you try getting back ashore. Your feet will become bloody stumps by time you get past the oyster shells. So make sure your booties have good soles of them as well. Work boots will work as well, but they can make your escape a bit harder, as they create more suction. I would actually prefer work boots as I enjoy the struggle of the escape, but you need to be in good physical condition for that. Forget the waders of any type, including knee high rubber boots. They create too much suction. This is tidal mud after all. Super sticky, supercharged suction...and tides. When you’re down to your armpits or more (more is easily accomplished here), you don’t want to be stuck when the tide rushes in. And it comes in fast. It’s that drowning thing. Not something worth taking a chance with. Escaping in time is not an option. So if you’re going sinking with me, you won’t be wearing boots that’ll create excessive amounts of suction. You won’t be able to dig yourself out from this area, as the mud will simply cave and flow right back in to replace anything you dug out. I usually sink out from the bank as far as I can take steps to get out to. Each step out typically has you sinking down to about mid thigh. The further out you go, the more you’ll initially sink. I typically sink down vertically until I’m nearly submerged. Not only does the suction make escape difficult, but there’s nothing around to shift your weight onto so you can pull yourself back up either (I don’t take a board).

Indiana86, I’m surprised that we’ve never hooked up or have come across one another during a sinking outing. I haven’t done much sinking this year. We had a wonderfully refreshing day before the tropical storm was a due to hit. I drove up to Guyana with the intent of taking full advantage of the weather to get a couple of sinks in, but the Estuary was CLOSED!!! I don’t know why they closed it other than they had a ridiculous amount of being over cautious. I considered just parking in the dirt lot just to the south of the entrance and riding my bike in, but decided against that, and went sinking in another area south of Saint Augustine instead. Unfortunately, that area isn’t nearly as good as Guana. Next time I’ll just go by jet ski (it needs to be serviced right now) instead. I know of other areas that are every bit as good as Guana Estuary, but they require a boat to access.

mudinmiami

Postby mudinmiami » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:11 am

Has anyone been here recently? I’ve been twice and it was awesome. Moved to NY unfortunately, but might have a chance to go since I have a trip to St Aug in November. Curious to see how it’s kept up with the storms.

Subdude57

Postby Subdude57 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:37 am

Sinkman - I live in Macclenny not to far from st Augustine. I lived in St. Aug for a long time and met my wife there. I’d be interested in coming down and getting the guided tour if you are still available. My usual sinking location is the back of the Eagle creek neighborhood just north of St Augustine. It’s secluded and no one has ever bothered me there. I haven’t been to Giana Reserve so I’m very interested in going there.

Please let me know if and when you’d be able to go. We can meet either at the location or somewhere else if you’d like.
I look forward to hearing from you. BTW, I’m 57 fit and very familiar with this thing...sinkology. Ha!
Sincerely,
Wes

Subdude57

Postby Subdude57 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:14 am

Sinkman - I live in Macclenny not to far from st Augustine. I lived in St. Aug for a long time and met my wife there. I’d be interested in coming down and getting the guided tour if you are still available. My usual sinking location is the back of the Eagle creek neighborhood just north of St Augustine. It’s secluded and no one has ever bothered me there. I haven’t been to Guana Reserve so I’m very interested in going.

Please let me know if and when you’d be able to go. We can meet either at the location or somewhere else if you’d like.
I look forward to hearing from you. BTW, I’m 57 fit and very familiar with this thing...sinkology. Ha!
Sincerely,
Wes

Return to “General Discussion”