Are you ever worried you can't escape?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Kipcicles2

Postby Kipcicles2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:37 am

I've been REALLY into home videos lately, and I've really grown to fall in love with really deep peat bog jumps, as well as a cheeky submergence or two! ;)

But a question that's popped up in my mind is:

As in, have you ever landed yourself in a mucky pit a little too far away from a board or stable ground? Have you ever sunk yourself to a depth that you've felt rather uncomfortable with, and uncertain whether you'll be able to make it out again?

I'm eager to hear some stories! :D
Just an uptuned nose at the surface (。◕‿◕。)

bogbud

Re: Are you ever worried you can't escape?

Postby bogbud » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:37 am

Kipcicles2 wrote:As in, have you ever landed yourself in a mucky pit a little too far away from a board or stable ground? Have you ever sunk yourself to a depth that you've felt rather uncomfortable with, and uncertain whether you'll be able to make it out again?

Yes and yes...

3s.jpg

Looks totally harmless, does it? Some patch of bare earth in the forest, isn't it?
In fact it's pure thick bog that allows a smooth, slow sink all the way down. While doing so all the plants around you are starting to shake and wobble as they are just a layer on top of the bog (including the trees). About 5 or 6 feet down the mud gets way more sticky and will firmly hold you place. Just plopping back up to the surface like in those videos you are talking about: No way!
When you don't have a branch of some tree in arms reach this will be serious trouble.

For your other thread: You should have no problems finding similar locations in the middle of the UK. Check the Maps from the UKOS and search for bogs that are located at or around little lakes.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:09 pm

bogbud wrote:
Kipcicles2 wrote:As in, have you ever landed yourself in a mucky pit a little too far away from a board or stable ground? Have you ever sunk yourself to a depth that you've felt rather uncomfortable with, and uncertain whether you'll be able to make it out again?

Yes and yes...

3s.jpg

Looks totally harmless, does it? Some patch of bare earth in the forest, isn't it?
In fact it's pure thick bog that allows a smooth, slow sink all the way down. While doing so all the plants around you are starting to shake and wobble as they are just a layer on top of the bog (including the trees). About 5 or 6 feet down the mud gets way more sticky and will firmly hold you place. Just plopping back up to the surface like in those videos you are talking about: No way!
When you don't have a branch of some tree in arms reach this will be serious trouble.

For your other thread: You should have no problems finding similar locations in the middle of the UK. Check the Maps from the UKOS and search for bogs that are located at or around little lakes.

god that looks good,.. one day your gonna have to show us a full submersion sink in that bogbud! ,. bringing joy to us who love male sinks with the bonus of some heavy gear to make escape even harder :)

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:24 am

That has happened to me only once.But after sinking a few times and prepare yourself,you eventually build confidence. You always hear that a person cant sink in quicksand over your head but the biggest concern is being chest deep and not being able to extricate yourself,you definately have to have a plan and not do anything spur of the moment,even if you are strong,pulling yourself out of thick mud isnt easy. I always go alone and check out the area and surroundings and bring a kit of essential items and clean up items too. My biggest worry was not being able to get out and worse getting caught :oops:

cbqdbq

Postby cbqdbq » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:47 am

that Bogbud post has what looks like a jpg image but it is not in blue and I can't see the image.

but in something like that, can anyone tell me what it feels like to be still, sunk deep. is gravity still pulling you or do you feel like you are floting like an astronaut? are you the same temprature, or are you slowly feeling cooler and cooler and even get to feeling cold? does it feel more and more comfortble or does it feel less and less comfortble as time goes by? if you stay still does the quicksand also get very still around you and smooth out? do you feel tempted to force it to swallow you even for a minute or does it seem unthinkable even for a few second?
cbqdbq
compeled by qs, demies by qs

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:59 pm

cbqdbq wrote:that Bogbud post has what looks like a jpg image but it is not in blue and I can't see the image.

but in something like that, can anyone tell me what it feels like to be still, sunk deep. is gravity still pulling you or do you feel like you are floting like an astronaut? are you the same temprature, or are you slowly feeling cooler and cooler and even get to feeling cold? does it feel more and more comfortble or does it feel less and less comfortble as time goes by? if you stay still does the quicksand also get very still around you and smooth out? do you feel tempted to force it to swallow you even for a minute or does it seem unthinkable even for a few second?

You can't see it because from time to time i remove my pics to make room for others.

You will not be pulled down deeper when you have reached a certain depth. The depth depends on the thickness (=density) of the mud relative to your own body and will be something around shoulder-/neck-deep. Of course you can sink (much!) deeper when you struggle, try pumping your legs or just use your arms to pull you down. The mud at my bog has various layers of different thickness, and that makes that place quite dangerous as getting back up to the surface needs careful and slow motions, or you will sink even deeper.
I'm feeling like i'm floating in that stuff, but not like an astronaut, as the mud is really pressing against my whole body. I'm also getting cooler but very slow as i'm wearing always multiple layers of waterproof gear and really tall waders. That bog is always cold below the surface, even in summer and i would never go to that place just wearing shorts or the like.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

gamwam

Postby gamwam » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:45 am

i have been feet first vertically so deep in a peat bog that i could barely break the surface with my arms upstretched above my head, im very much into total submersion and being able to stay below for a while and enjoy,. so i use a simple length of hose as a snorkel,. inhaling through the hose and exhaling through my nose so that i dont rebreathe the air in the hose,. as bogbud has said the limiting factor is the bouyancy,.so ive only been able to reach these sort of depths in organic peat bog type mud which is pretty low density and even then it is very hard work sucking air through a hose at that depth due to the pressure of the mud on your chest, ive never been able to get more than 6 inches under in heavy sediment type mud and its not really sinking,. more yanking yourself under as its like trying to sink a buoy under the water, i just bob back up to the surface because the mud is denser than i am.

i built up slowly when it came to submersion and remember feeling a mixture of excitement and terror on those few occasions where i had started to pull myself up and realised i wasn't surfacing as fast as i would have liked and might be stuck below the surface,.. the only times ive been stuck is of my own making,. i used a few tricks like wearing heavy inflexible boots or even a backpack with weights in it for those moments when i wanted to feel truly stuck,. however i was never really in any danger as i always made sure it was easy for me to slip out of my pack or boots when i was ready to escape

i also really enjoy jumping feet first into a bog feet pointed down with arms by my side just to see how far down i will go, and ive also enjoyed many head first dives with an aim to vanish completely headfirst (although my feet have almost always still been above the surface) not recommended in a bog you don't know well or if your not a strong swimmer with plenty of deep sinking practice

those days are pretty much gone for me now as ive moved so far away from any viable sinking spot and spend my life surrounded by city and people,. one thing i do enjoy is being on communities like this and enjoying seeing other peoples adventures to remind me of how much fun you can have in a bog you know well :)

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:13 am

Headfirst-dives would be a guaranteed suicide at my place. You probably would get stuck with your head and arms unable to to something, even when half of your body would still be above surface.
But I'm with you regarding the moving-away-aspect. I'm only able to visit my old bog only a couple times a year now :(
I'm feeling home.

SabbieMobili

Postby SabbieMobili » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes, I definitely worry, but the worry is not so much that I can't escape, but that help is so far away if I can't. Cellular service is spotty-to-nonexistent where I go (even with my cell signal booster, still spotty), and I can't find anyone else crazy enough to go along on my days-long float trips. So I'm solo, way the heck out there, and substantial precautions must be taken.
Damn this slow quicksand! I have half a mind to struggle!

Return to “General Discussion”