Where to find good mud

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
JohntaviousWilliams

Where to find good mud

Postby JohntaviousWilliams » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 am

So I have recently been trying to find some thick gooey mud along lake beds and lakes, and probably sand construction pits. Do you know what mud is perfect to go under in?

Boggyhoo

Re: Where to find good mud

Postby Boggyhoo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Good question that no one ask before.

BH

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Boggyhoo wrote:Good question that no one ask before.

BH

Why exactly are you a member of this board?
At least your avatar fits you 100% Congrats for that!
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Kipcicles2

Postby Kipcicles2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:50 pm

I swear this is the same question I literally put up earlier this week, except it's been re-phrased. I'm guessing this happens a lot. :roll:

Check mud maps for local sinking spots posted by sinkers, there's even one here on QSF for you: https://www.quicksandfans.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17493
Just an uptuned nose at the surface (。◕‿◕。)

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:42 am

Where I live, the lakes are not the best mud locations mainly because water covers the mud. Sinking in mud under water is underwhelming. Also lakes have lots of reeds and weeds. Bugs and frogs like that but it's definitely not my cup of tea. Algae and duckweed covered water is an immediate turn-off for me because I know that there is much better mud. I like sinking in silty clay. Patience and determination has always payed off for me.

Also, I prefer to stay off of private property. There can be dangerous machinery in quarries. For me, the fear of getting caught and having to explain what I am am doing there takes all of the pleasure out of it. That's just me.

So, what do I look for ... silty rivers/streams/creeks that fluctuate in depth. Great for access and cleanup too.

Example, Mississippi River. Heavy rains causes silt to flow into the river. The silt eventually drops out in areas where the stream widens or takes a turn (called a meander). When the water level goes down, the silt (mud flats) become exposed.
Daytime privacy can be difficult to find but not impossible.

On some streams you can monitor the water level online so that if it is far away and you want to avoid a wasted trip you can just monitor it and choose to go when you are likely to have success. You do need a baseline for each stream and that comes from studying it carefully. Too much detail to discuss here.

It helps to have a boat. A kayak, a fishing boat, a cabin cruiser. For me the kayak has been the best tool for the job. It's simple and quiet and doesn't need explanation.

You really need to get out there and hunt. You will learn very quickly (like I did) what does and does not work.

ImpracticalFetish

Postby ImpracticalFetish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 pm

My favorite is peatmud that got an higher mud ratio.
My current best sinking spot(risky of being spotted tho) i had to work out first though. It wasn't deep at first(or well it was too thick to sink deep in) but after repeatly jumping down in the same spot, removing reeds and working with my feet, it can swallow me whole if i take a hard plunge now.

The sinking spot(1x1 meter) is in a very small bog area(only 30x30 meters!) of a very small lake( 100x70 meters somthing) that was a old dam once that collapsed, the current water line is therefore around the bottom part of the previous lake after being drained off most of the water and therefore exposing the bottom mud on which later this small bog has settled upon on by the shallower side of the lake.

I have been looking for more promising mud conditions similar to my current one, so i got an idea where to find good peatmud spots.

:!: Water exits and entries to bogs or lakes.

:!: Old manmade dykes that was used to drain water from the bogs, leaving great pockets of mud/peat which also is loose due to water content that seasonaly see movment during rain and high water levels.

:!: Near different types of faulty/ruined dam constructions, both natural, manmade and beaver. Dams collect mud, silt and peat in their basin in great depths that will remain after the water is gone.

Good luck!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Kipcicles2 wrote:I swear this is the same question I literally put up earlier this week, except it's been re-phrased. I'm guessing this happens a lot. :roll:

Check mud maps for local sinking spots posted by sinkers, there's even one here on QSF for you: https://www.quicksandfans.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17493

More than you can imagine. You may find this hard to believe but a great many of them are the same person who loves to sock-puppet entire threads. This person also appear to have an OCD issue that requires asking over and over about footwear in the mud, genital contamination, ear plugs, anime, locations, and on and on.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:
More than you can imagine. You may find this hard to believe but a great many of them are the same person who loves to sock-puppet entire threads. This person also appear to have an OCD issue that requires asking over and over about footwear in the mud, genital contamination, ear plugs, anime, locations, and on and on.

Uhm what? I think i have answered some of them but i did not take notice as new folks are registering all the time and keep always asking the same basis questions.

I only remember that poor dude with the "numbers" as name. He's not the one?
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:09 am

Ok, so I went to one of my pretty good locations after the water level dropped at least a foot. Mud flats on both sides of the stream. Every step is into knee deep clay making tremendous sucking and farting sounds. I want to go deeper but it is just too much work. The bottom is too hard there. It would take hours to develop it to waist deep. I went to a spot were I had done that work last season and it was no longer sinking to even knee deep.

So, even if you find a good spot, it is likely to change over time.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:32 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:More than you can imagine. You may find this hard to believe but a great many of them are the same person who loves to sock-puppet entire threads. This person also appear to have an OCD issue that requires asking over and over about footwear in the mud, genital contamination, ear plugs, anime, locations, and on and on.

Yup. Way to many recurrences lately of "Hi, I'm new and I have this <insert description of amazing sinking spot here>." :roll:
Seriously do some people really have NOTHING better to do with their lives? It's honestly just sad. Like some day you're gonna die and your tombstone will read "He was a moderately good internet troll." :lol:
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Return to “General Discussion”