Sinking Island

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
triclopse

Re: Sinking Island

Postby triclopse » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:58 pm

@DJlurker In Python 3, raw_input got renamed to input, so you'll have to change the bottom part of the script to this:

Code: Select all

# main loop begins

Safeword = 0
Player=character(input("What is your name? "),1)
Island=Island()
Func_Distribute()
print("")
print("")
Func_Look(Player.pos)
print(Player.name+" appears in a puff of smoke")
print("")

while (Safeword == 0):
    Func_Parse_Command(input("==> "))
    Func_Run_Scripts()

I haven't upgraded to python 3 yet so can't gaurantee there won't be other problems with it, but that should at least solve the issue you're getting at the moment.

@One Stuck Fox Thanks, I want to at least try to make it multiplayer because of how much fun the original Sinking Island was. For a single player game, maybe something based in RenPy would be better?

DJlurker

Postby DJlurker » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:33 am

The module runs now, but when I try to enter a pit, I keep getting 'item not found'...

One Stuck Fox

Postby One Stuck Fox » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:22 pm

triclopse wrote:@One Stuck Fox Thanks, I want to at least try to make it multiplayer because of how much fun the original Sinking Island was. For a single player game, maybe something based in RenPy would be better?

I haven't used RenPy myself, but I've heard it's pretty decent for visual novels, so it might work out well if you're also interested in adding artwork to the game.

For something multiplayer (thinking from a user perspective here), I'd suggest anything that can run in the browser, simply because it'll be easier for people to pick up and play (rather than having to jump through the hoops of installing python and whatnot). So maybe Javascript or Typescript (although those aren't the only options these days) would be a better choice.

I've never played the original Sinking Island but I'll see if I can try it out. I might need to organise someone else to pop on with me to see how the multiplayer works though.

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:12 pm

@DJlurker: That shouldn't even be possible. I'll test it out here in Python 3. It should still work if you can run it in Python 2.

@One Stuck Fox: I'm aiming to get it working entirely on a webpage, although it's taking a bit of learning to get to that part. Unfortunately the original Sinking Island is gone now. It was part of the Deepsinking forum and acted like a chatroom for the place. There was even a 2-way link up at some point to another island in second life, so people on each side could talk with each other.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:32 pm

I cannot say I understand it but here is a link to a page that discusses how to use Python in a web page.
https://realpython.com/python-web-applications/
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

One Stuck Fox

Postby One Stuck Fox » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:48 pm

@DJlurker: It sounds like you might be typing "enter pit" instead of "sink". Try the latter.

@Fred588: I took a look through the tutorial you linked and judging from it's contents, it's quite old. It also details how to run python server-side, which for an interactive game might not be enough. Unfortunately, there's no good ways to run python client-side (that is, inside the web browser) yet.

@triclopse: Damn, that's unfortunate, I would have liked to try the original out. Does that mean you've been recreating it from memory? Also see my note above regarding python and the web. If you're still interested in using python for server-side web stuff, I'd recommend flask, which is widely regarded as very beginner-friendly.

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Ahhh, it never even occured to me but it seems so obvious now. Using enter pit would cause exactly the error described, I'll add a hidden object in the next version to fix that. It's a bit late in the thread for me to say this but if anyone wants to know all the commands, look for Func_Parse_Command and the code block just below it lists them all.

I think you would have loved the original Sinking Island. I did a few walkarounds before it shut down completely, and recorded all the room descriptions just in case they would be useful in bringing the place back. That's why I was hesitant to post the script, the layout and text is almost all from Jiminy Thicket, but when I tried to email him it just bounced back.

Thanks for the recommendation on flask, I'll take a look.

SinkerCutie

Postby SinkerCutie » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 am

I have a little idea. If you are a female, if they are big enough, your boobs should help you float in quicksand for longer.

Return to “General Discussion”