Not deep enough (how do I get past the buoyancy point?)

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Raptor90

Re: Not deep enough (how do I get past the buoyancy point?)

Postby Raptor90 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 pm

I can sink/submerge easier in peat bogs not because of the type of mud, but more so because of friction and the fact it has a lot of water. As for thicker mud while its density/suction can 'hold you in' its still difficult to get down deep because of how heavy it is further below from the weight on top. I still have a difficult time forcing myself down so I typically give up and sorta sit with my legs outwards to simulate a vertical depth and can tilt back a bit and go under if I really wanted to.

Neepnoop

Postby Neepnoop » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:50 pm

CreamyClayK wrote:Hi everyone. today I had my first real sinking experience. because mud sadly seems very hard to find in the northeast Ohio area I've never been deeper than my knees but today I found some mud that I couldn't even feel the bottom of. the issue is, I wasn't even up to my chest in it. I've been on these forums for a while and I've read pretty much all the advice about how to sink past the buoyancy point, but I somehow couldn't manage it. I sank up to my waist fine, but as soon as the mud went over my butt it was really hard to get any further. I got deep enough that the mud was a couple inches below my breasts, but I couldn't get any deeper. I tried pulling myself down but all that did was tire me out. I tried twisting my body, moving my legs frantically, and even jumping in to the mud from a little ledge about 4 feet above it, but nothing worked.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong or what I could be doing better. I don't know if any of you have ever had something like this happen but it felt like my butt was keeping me afloat somehow? maybe that's just where the buoyancy point is. The mud was a mixture of fine sandy dirt and clay, so I think the clay part made it harder to sink? Either way I would really appreciate advice soon, because the spot was right along the lake and if it rains at all then it could get eroded away before I can go back (and hopefully go deeper :) :) )

And ya ain’t even gonna share the location? For shame

zxy070401

Postby zxy070401 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:15 am

The ONLY way to go deeper is to increase your "average density". There is no other way besides this. You can try bringing some sandbags or lead blocks, but never bring too much. 10~15kg is enough. If you bring more than 20kg, then you will never escape by your self. I have already calculated it, each kg can raise your buoyancy point by 1.6cm (about 175cm height, 55kg weight).I hope my advice can help you. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”