What does sinking feel like (and additional question)

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
BottomBaby

Re: What does sinking feel like (and additional question)

Postby BottomBaby » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:49 am

beachbum wrote:Not a dumb question at all. If the Board is wide, it would not get sucked in usually. Would give you some leverage to get out. Most mud is really shallow. It would be hard to find something bottomless but that depends on where you are. Where I live most mud is usually knee to waist deep. I never worry about getting sucked under really. It is just if the mud is real thick. it might be difficult to get out especially if you are waist deep. I mostly do this on my own without any people videos unless I know the person real well since I am a private person as well. Mostly I enjoy this community and the posts but just have a few experiences to share.

I will keep that all for note! I live in the est zone so im feeling more confident i won't run into bottomless mud. I really want to look through the woods in my backyard (its huge) are the woods places for decent mud? Sorry last question 100 promise. You have been so helpful. I always wondered these things wayyy too long. Google doesn't help much because not many people ask such in-depth questions about mud/quicksand (since this kink is a lot less known and less common I'm assuming). I will most likely be doing these alone for these trips, since I don't know anyone or trust anyone to watch me and will most likely be looking for like knee-deep (it seems a lot of the people in MPV videos anyway just kind of lie back and make it look as if its bottomless, when they are most likely touching the floor when they go head in). For a beginner, I would prefer something where I touch the floor. I experimented in the tub with this stuff called Gelibaff and it felt amazing but the tub wasn't long enough so my experience was kind of cramped.

cj125

Postby cj125 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Hello and welcome! If you enjoyed the Gellibaff you’re going to love sinking! Best places to look in the est in my experience are where creeks meet larger bodies of water. Nine times out of ten there will be a collection of sediment around they meet and when water levels drop mid to late summer, you can get a good expanse of knee to waist deep mud that is large enough to kneel or lay down in for submersion. In rare circumstances, river mud can be deeper but even in river mud where I couldn’t touch bottom, it is way too thick to unintentionally go deeper than intended.

Situations like this is where that plank will come in handy though. I wouldn’t recommend a rope personally as it going to be fairly useless unless you can do weighted pull-ups with double your body weight. The plank and leverage it brings are going to come way more in handy and it has gotten me out of some really thick shoulder deep stuff that I was vertical in.

Also worth noting is that finding good stuff will more than likely require some hunting unless you strike gold in your backyard. You should be able to find plenty of knee to waist deep mud wherever you can find a body of water but if you ever find yourself wanting better spots, they’re gonna require a bit of hiking which can be really fun in and of itself! The mud map is a great tool and if you are able to make a drive to some of those places or places that look similar you may just find your white whale! That’s how I’ve found all of my bottomless spots. I know jump off joe puts a ton of effort using maps and exploring techniques to find the spots he uses in his videos as do many people and producers here that use natural locations.

Regardless get out there and have fun!

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:02 pm

It feels wonderful..but once you have built enough confidence and taken safety precautions,you will have a good time especially if your alone. I always sink alone so with a lot of help here,I have managed to find good sinking spots and did my homework having fun and being safe. How to test depth...hmmm sometimes you just have to go for it :lol: jk no in all seriousness you should carry a pole or hiking stick and try to push it in as far as you can without falling into the pit or tie a rope to a tree or find a plank to you can use to help extricate yourself..always bring a kit.As far as how it feels,it depends on the mud your going in,I love gluey forest mud or black swampy mud,with hopefully no wood pieces in,that could hurt your feet as it did for me. There are a lot of good tips on this site.

MoTU

Postby MoTU » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:30 pm

BottomBaby wrote:I will keep that all for note! I live in the est zone so im feeling more confident i won't run into bottomless mud. I really want to look through the woods in my backyard (its huge) are the woods places for decent mud? Sorry last question 100 promise. You have been so helpful. I always wondered these things wayyy too long. Google doesn't help much because not many people ask such in-depth questions about mud/quicksand (since this kink is a lot less known and less common I'm assuming). I will most likely be doing these alone for these trips, since I don't know anyone or trust anyone to watch me and will most likely be looking for like knee-deep (it seems a lot of the people in MPV videos anyway just kind of lie back and make it look as if its bottomless, when they are most likely touching the floor when they go head in). For a beginner, I would prefer something where I touch the floor. I experimented in the tub with this stuff called Gelibaff and it felt amazing but the tub wasn't long enough so my experience was kind of cramped.

There's not a guarantee of finding mud, let alone deep mud, in any location. But that's not to say you won't find it either - you're talking about exploring your backyard, so honestly the best thing you can do is probably go out and look yourself. You'll want to look for spots that have water saturation, like if there are any creeks you could find some good mud around the edges. Or if there's a lower-elevation spot where water pools together and makes the earth swampy. You could hit the jackpot, or you could find nothing. No real way to tell until you're out there.

Just treat it like a casual stroll through the woods, poking the ground with your stick if you find a spot that obviously looks muddy. If it's deep, just check the stick to see how deep and whether you feel like you need additional safety precautions before you step in, if you step in. One thing that lonesinker brings up is that, in the woods especially, any mud might have chips of wood or other foreign objects that can hurt your feet/legs. So you'll probably want to go out there with footwear that you're comfortable keeping on even if you step into mud. It's a bad idea for your first step into a mud pit to be barefoot, so it's good to be safe until you've felt around and make sure nothing's gonna poke or scrape at you.

All-in-all, it sounds like you're trying to plan every detail before you head out there - which isn't a bad thing! It's good that you want to be prepared. But also I don't think you'll find an answer online as to whether there's any mud at all in your backyard, so for now you're probably best off just going exploring. You don't have to sink immediately into any mud you find, and I think it's pretty unlikely that you'll be caught unawares and accidentally stumble into anything dangerous. Odds are you'll clearly spot any mud before you step into it, and unless your backyard is somehow a bog floating on a huge pool of mud I'd put the odds at slim-to-none that you'd step accidentally into something "bottomless".

BottomBaby

Postby BottomBaby » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:28 am

MoTU wrote:
BottomBaby wrote:I will keep that all for note! I live in the est zone so im feeling more confident i won't run into bottomless mud. I really want to look through the woods in my backyard (its huge) are the woods places for decent mud? Sorry last question 100 promise. You have been so helpful. I always wondered these things wayyy too long. Google doesn't help much because not many people ask such in-depth questions about mud/quicksand (since this kink is a lot less known and less common I'm assuming). I will most likely be doing these alone for these trips, since I don't know anyone or trust anyone to watch me and will most likely be looking for like knee-deep (it seems a lot of the people in MPV videos anyway just kind of lie back and make it look as if its bottomless, when they are most likely touching the floor when they go head in). For a beginner, I would prefer something where I touch the floor. I experimented in the tub with this stuff called Gelibaff and it felt amazing but the tub wasn't long enough so my experience was kind of cramped.

There's not a guarantee of finding mud, let alone deep mud, in any location. But that's not to say you won't find it either - you're talking about exploring your backyard, so honestly the best thing you can do is probably go out and look yourself. You'll want to look for spots that have water saturation, like if there are any creeks you could find some good mud around the edges. Or if there's a lower-elevation spot where water pools together and makes the earth swampy. You could hit the jackpot, or you could find nothing. No real way to tell until you're out there.

Just treat it like a casual stroll through the woods, poking the ground with your stick if you find a spot that obviously looks muddy. If it's deep, just check the stick to see how deep and whether you feel like you need additional safety precautions before you step in, if you step in. One thing that lonesinker brings up is that, in the woods especially, any mud might have chips of wood or other foreign objects that can hurt your feet/legs. So you'll probably want to go out there with footwear that you're comfortable keeping on even if you step into mud. It's a bad idea for your first step into a mud pit to be barefoot, so it's good to be safe until you've felt around and make sure nothing's gonna poke or scrape at you.

All-in-all, it sounds like you're trying to plan every detail before you head out there - which isn't a bad thing! It's good that you want to be prepared. But also I don't think you'll find an answer online as to whether there's any mud at all in your backyard, so for now you're probably best off just going exploring. You don't have to sink immediately into any mud you find, and I think it's pretty unlikely that you'll be caught unawares and accidentally stumble into anything dangerous. Odds are you'll clearly spot any mud before you step into it, and unless your backyard is somehow a bog floating on a huge pool of mud I'd put the odds at slim-to-none that you'd step accidentally into something "bottomless".

Wow, you've been extremely helpful, thank you. I never felt comfy to ask these questions, i'm really glad I found this website. Didn't get a chance to explore today but i plan on doing it this week. Believe it or not, I actually had a pool of mud in my backyard but it was right in front of the neighbors (pretty sure they saw me out the window) I barely got to try cause I was too nervous the first time(had boots on). I planned to go back and get screen dividers to hide, so I can experiment BUT the landscapers covered the whole thing with woodchips... I literally had my own tiny swamp in my yard, rip. I will try to look for something like that or that you described in the woods. I will def keep in mind the glass/sharp object thing you mentioned. I always been worried like living things live in the mud but thinking about it more rationally (like if its thick mud) that would be pretty impossible. Yeah, I literally don't know the safety risks of mud so I want to be prepared, especially since I never did it. I even struggled a bit with the bath thing I mentioned, I did a few packs and was thick, I was already having a bit of trouble breathing. Thank you so much for your input again, I really hope you have a great day

BottomBaby

Postby BottomBaby » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:18 am

MoTU wrote:

Wow, you've been extremely helpful, thank you. I never felt comfy to ask these questions, i'm really glad I found this website. Didn't get a chance to explore today but i plan on doing it this week. Believe it or not, I actually had a pool of mud in my backyard but it was right in front of the neighbors (pretty sure they saw me out the window) I barely got to try cause I was too nervous the first time(had boots on). I planned to go back and get screen dividers to hide, so I can experiment BUT the landscapers covered the whole thing with woodchips... I literally had my own tiny swamp in my yard, rip. I will try to look for something like that or that you described in the woods. I will def keep in mind the glass/sharp object thing you mentioned. I always been worried like living things live in the mud but thinking about it more rationally (like if its thick mud) that would be pretty impossible. Yeah, I literally don't know the safety risks of mud so I want to be prepared, especially since I never did it. I even struggled a bit with the bath thing I mentioned, I did a few packs and was thick, I was already having a bit of trouble breathing. Thank you so much for your input again, I really hope you have a great day

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:55 pm

BottomBaby wrote:
beachbum wrote:Not a dumb question at all. If the Board is wide, it would not get sucked in usually. Would give you some leverage to get out. Most mud is really shallow. It would be hard to find something bottomless but that depends on where you are. Where I live most mud is usually knee to waist deep. I never worry about getting sucked under really. It is just if the mud is real thick. it might be difficult to get out especially if you are waist deep. I mostly do this on my own without any people videos unless I know the person real well since I am a private person as well. Mostly I enjoy this community and the posts but just have a few experiences to share.

I will keep that all for note! I live in the est zone so im feeling more confident i won't run into bottomless mud. I really want to look through the woods in my backyard (its huge) are the woods places for decent mud? Sorry last question 100 promise. You have been so helpful. I always wondered these things wayyy too long. Google doesn't help much because not many people ask such in-depth questions about mud/quicksand (since this kink is a lot less known and less common I'm assuming). I will most likely be doing these alone for these trips, since I don't know anyone or trust anyone to watch me and will most likely be looking for like knee-deep (it seems a lot of the people in MPV videos anyway just kind of lie back and make it look as if its bottomless, when they are most likely touching the floor when they go head in). For a beginner, I would prefer something where I touch the floor. I experimented in the tub with this stuff called Gelibaff and it felt amazing but the tub wasn't long enough so my experience was kind of cramped.

No problem. You can ask me as many questions as you want. I live in the est time zone as well (NJ), and although there is no bottomless mud I found, I definitely know some areas waist to chest deep which is perfect for sinking/getting stuck but I know I'm safe not going under which is a very unlikely scenario. It depends what your woods are like as to whether you find mud. If it's in a low wet area like I am with a stream, I would say definitely but not in hilly or rocky areas. I would look for a stream and next to that is where you would find mud. There is a park where i live, it is tidal as being part of the bay. In low tide the mud is fantastic. Looks solid but will suck you right in. You night enjoy the knee deep, but if you get a little deeper, thigh to waist deep, it's a different prospective and really enjoyable especially if it's a little difficult to get out. Much better than the bathtub.

BottomBaby

Postby BottomBaby » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:34 pm

beachbum wrote:
BottomBaby wrote:

No problem. You can ask me as many questions as you want. I live in the est time zone as well (NJ), and although there is no bottomless mud I found, I definitely know some areas waist to chest deep which is perfect for sinking/getting stuck but I know I'm safe not going under which is a very unlikely scenario. It depends what your woods are like as to whether you find mud. If it's in a low wet area like I am with a stream, I would say definitely but not in hilly or rocky areas. I would look for a stream and next to that is where you would find mud. There is a park where i live, it is tidal as being part of the bay. In low tide the mud is fantastic. Looks solid but will suck you right in. You night enjoy the knee deep, but if you get a little deeper, thigh to waist deep, it's a different prospective and really enjoyable especially if it's a little difficult to get out. Much better than the bathtub.

Oh wow, I live in NJ as well. I live in the bergen county part of it. Have you heard of Berry's creek? I found it as a sink location here on google maps. It's the one place not obscenely far from me (like 28 mins). My only concern is on there, I saw areas for parking(meaning it will be hard to get privacy unless the mud is far out and away from that spot). I don't drive yet, so I plan to uber somewhere with mud(with water to clean myself up), just got to think of an excuse of where i'm going. I checked my woods today as everyone left the house, sadly no good mud(not hilly but had a bit of incline, not sure it that was just from all the sticks and twigs) There were small patches of dirt (with 100's of twigs) so even when that got wet, it wouldn't be good enough, looks too dangerous cause of all the sharpness. Yeah, while I was in the woods, I was looking for streams or any little bodies of water. My true desire is to go fully in someday (hopefully by the time i'm in my mid 20's) go fully under but that will be in mud that is a solid 4 feet (like a shallow pool). What is low tide exactly? is that close to the body of water?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:54 pm

BottomBaby wrote:
beachbum wrote:
BottomBaby wrote:

Oh wow, I live in NJ as well. I live in the bergen county part of it. Have you heard of Berry's creek? I found it as a sink location here on google maps. It's the one place not obscenely far from me (like 28 mins). My only concern is on there, I saw areas for parking(meaning it will be hard to get privacy unless the mud is far out and away from that spot). I don't drive yet, so I plan to uber somewhere with mud(with water to clean myself up), just got to think of an excuse of where i'm going. I checked my woods today as everyone left the house, sadly no good mud(not hilly but had a bit of incline, not sure it that was just from all the sticks and twigs) There were small patches of dirt (with 100's of twigs) so even when that got wet, it wouldn't be good enough, looks too dangerous cause of all the sharpness. Yeah, while I was in the woods, I was looking for streams or any little bodies of water. My true desire is to go fully in someday (hopefully by the time i'm in my mid 20's) go fully under but that will be in mud that is a solid 4 feet (like a shallow pool). What is low tide exactly? is that close to the body of water?

I lived in the Central/South Part of the State. Ocean County by the beach. So we have some bays here and some marshy woods. When the tide goes out in the bay, the water disappears by the shoreline. There is soft mud there and you can sink right in, but you have to be careful. One girl I know sank up to her chest and it was a little dangerous. It is better in the small streams in the woods by the bay. Some mudpits there are 3 to 4 feet deep. It is wet when the tides are in, but when out it is dry and you can sink right in. Safe since there is a bottom but also difficult to get out so lots of fun. If the tide came in it would just be a little wetter not submerged. You can get to it if you hike but off the trail.

Berry's creek, not sure. I heard of it by the Meadowlands, but don't go there if Lots of sewage and toxic stuff. Most places I know are South Jersey. Like the Pine Barrens. If you find some parks with a lake or stream you might be able to find mud there.

It sounds like you are excited to sink in mud. I remember just watching my ankles at first and it was really exciting to see them sink!

BottomBaby

Postby BottomBaby » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:51 pm

beachbum wrote:
BottomBaby wrote:
beachbum wrote:
BottomBaby wrote:

I lived in the Central/South Part of the State. Ocean County by the beach. So we have some bays here and some marshy woods. When the tide goes out in the bay, the water disappears by the shoreline. There is soft mud there and you can sink right in, but you have to be careful. One girl I know sank up to her chest and it was a little dangerous. It is better in the small streams in the woods by the bay. Some mudpits there are 3 to 4 feet deep. It is wet when the tides are in, but when out it is dry and you can sink right in. Safe since there is a bottom but also difficult to get out so lots of fun. If the tide came in it would just be a little wetter not submerged. You can get to it if you hike but off the trail.

Berry's creek, not sure. I heard of it by the Meadowlands, but don't go there if Lots of sewage and toxic stuff. Most places I know are South Jersey. Like the Pine Barrens. If you find some parks with a lake or stream you might be able to find mud there.

It sounds like you are excited to sink in mud. I remember just watching my ankles at first and it was really exciting to see them sink!

oh wow, yeah living by the ocean sounds beneficial for sure. So, with tides, when it's low tide, that's when the mud comes? Was the risk with the girl that she had trouble getting out? I'll keep my eye out for small streams, as it sounds more what i'm looking for right now. Thank you for the precaution, I want to avoid nasty first sink as much as possible, which is why I want to really educate. I guess being stuck in quartine for this long made me want to finally chase my "strange" dreams. Oh yeah, for sure! I remember when I dabbled for like 2 secs (before I got super paranoid) I got a huge rush.

Return to “General Discussion”