Contributor Rewards? Kudos?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
spunkee311

Re: Contributor Rewards? Kudos?

Postby spunkee311 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:53 am

Wow I've never seen such hostility towards Kudos. In my opinion, I think Kudos is a very good thing and I'll tell you why. Aside from writing comments, it sort of a way to get the community involved. Youtube implements it perfectly and Myspace. And I agree with Wacky. When somebody takes the time to post something, I like to show a little pinch of gratitude by giving them a thumbs up or a kudos.
I also think a kudos system is a way of politely judging somebodies post or art or clip or whatever have you. When somebody post something that is really good or extraodinary, the Kudos go through the roof, which shows the uniqueness of the post. Now when something is just regular or sub par, then you might just give a few or one kudos. Depending on how good or crappy it is. So I think its a really polite way of saying Hey thats good or hey thats average, or that just sucks depending on much kudos they receive.
I've seen the majority of the other forum be pretty positive with their comments on some artwork thats been sub-par. Cause of course we don't want to hurt their feelings, but since they asked to be judge then the Kudos was a nice way of doing it. Now without the Kudos, I just feel that either no comments are gonna be posted when somebody post something or we will just say wow thats nice and be straight dishonest about it.
Me personally, I like the way youtube does it. You can rate 1 through 5 stars depending on how you feel and you can give thumbs up or down on the comments. And I thought Deepsinking had a pretty good system to with allotting 5 kudos a day.
And as far as the competition aspect of it, I don't think a little competition hurt nobody. It inspires us to find the next best thing or create the next best art.
Other than that, I just think a lot of people have been hurt by either the straight up honesty or the extremely rude comments that the internet can bring. It does hurt if you take it to heart but that's how the internet world is. It won't change. Its a double-edge sword. But at least you'll get a straight up answer.

UberGaijin

Postby UberGaijin » Thu May 07, 2009 12:04 pm

spunkee311 wrote:Wow I've never seen such hostility towards Kudos.

Warning: just woke up. Beware of spelling and english errors...

I don't think there is much hostility towards Kudos. This is the second post that openly states that there is some massive bottled up tension about Kudos. Looking through the posts, I see people who liked em for various reasons and people who didn't for various reasons. I haven't seen much in the way of hostility in either situation.

Maybe some people read too much into one of my statements where I used the word "big" before the words "problem" and "issue". In that case, big means "eh, it was the primary issue for, but on an absolute "bigness" scale, it was pretty puny...smaller than what I am going to have for breakfast the day after tomorrow." It did not mean "OMFGWTF!!!1!! Kudos fuckkin suck and deserve to die! That goes for the crappy candy bar, too! PEANUT BUTTER CUPS ROCK!!!!!"

"This is not the hostility you are looking for. Move along." /Jedi :)

wackypackcolonel

Postby wackypackcolonel » Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 pm

UberGaijin wrote:
wackypackcolonel wrote:I'm sick of cynics go form your own cynical qs group and let the rest of us have a little fun. This site is suppose to be a distraction from the everyday and to be celebrated by all of us who enjoy it if you can't grasp that concept spare us the negativity and just go away.

Just out of curiosity, is this a general statement or were you referring to someone specific or some specific event?

I'm not a jerk and refuse to throw anyone under the bus. My statement was about kudos and the ridiculous sentiment that they're flawed, need to be retooled, or banned and the cynicism behind that scope of thinking. It was not a statement to add fuel to the fire quite the opposite in fact. Kudos are given to stuff people like, it's that simple, where's the harm in that? I want to celebrate quicksand and all its diversity and want others to be able to do the same without insecure people raining their negativity on the rest of us.

UberGaijin

Postby UberGaijin » Thu May 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Billie Bonce wrote:
Nessie wrote:If the system was revamped to have unlimited kudos but only one kudo allowed per post, then I'd know that at least 33 more people liked it than than it looked like without kudos.

Nessie
Yes, that could be a better thing.

I kinda like that idea, too.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu May 07, 2009 2:46 pm

I don't think anyone's said kudos are bad. They've mostly said that the system could be improved.

Good Kudos, themselves:

Mostly good. Not bad. Meaningless, well yeah, sometimes they can be.

The main drawback of kudos is that they are a new "bell or whistle" to be added to the site, will require administration and maintenance, and will make things more complex. Questions: What could be improved on the old kudo system and are kudos worth the effort of adding and maintaining them?

Negative Kudos (they never existed at Deep Sinking, but have only been suggested occasionally):

I can't see any benefits...only bad...hey, if you really don't like something, at least have the guts to type it out yourself.

Ratings System:

I find the idea inappropriate as applied to personal photos and clips by the likes of us who are sharing our spots and showing ourselves in them instead of "performing" and looking for "constructive criticism" and "ways to improve".

The idea of ratings seems ridiculous at Home Movies, for instance.

Kudos, though, are not ridiculous there.

Or perhaps a first-time poster will get a random jerk who just joined and feels like hitting the bad rating...just 'cause a jerk is what he is...and our newbie been spending days wondering if he should post it!

And, yes, it's another "bell or whistle" to be implemented and maintained. On YouTube, you can disable the feature and if you could do so here, the idea might suddenly be more good than it is bad. Some people like "constructive criticism" and are "trying to improve" and do want this feedback.

But that makes setup more complex. Who wants to set up and maintain it?

Keeping things simple has its advantages too.

Nessie
Last edited by Nessie on Fri May 08, 2009 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:30 pm

UberGaijin wrote:
spunkee311 wrote:Wow I've never seen such hostility towards Kudos.

Warning: just woke up. Beware of spelling and english errors...

I don't think there is much hostility towards Kudos. This is the second post that openly states that there is some massive bottled up tension about Kudos. Looking through the posts, I see people who liked em for various reasons and people who didn't for various reasons. I haven't seen much in the way of hostility in either situation.

Maybe some people read too much into one of my statements where I used the word "big" before the words "problem" and "issue". In that case, big means "eh, it was the primary issue for, but on an absolute "bigness" scale, it was pretty puny...smaller than what I am going to have for breakfast the day after tomorrow." It did not mean "OMFGWTF!!!1!! Kudos fuckkin suck and deserve to die! That goes for the crappy candy bar, too! PEANUT BUTTER CUPS ROCK!!!!!"

"This is not the hostility you are looking for. Move along." /Jedi :)

Eh i feel different. I've seen things through my searching not only on here where I can understand why people aren't really "for" the kudos/reward system. Its understandable why people get that way. We are all pretty positive people from the most part. So we don't want to be rude. And we don't like to see such negative comments or rewards like I've see on Youtube or other forums. But its just how the internet is. Straight up honest with a little more lol. It just stilled caught me off-guard.

Jedi Mind tricks don't work on me.

j/k

UberGaijin

Postby UberGaijin » Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 pm

spunkee311 wrote:And we don't like to see such negative comments or rewards like I've see on Youtube or other forums.

I hope comments here never become akin to some of those on YouTube...damn, talk about an intelligence sink (YouTube quotes, that is).

Jedi Mind tricks don't work on me.

Jedi Mind tricks don't work on you...

...wait what?

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Tue May 19, 2009 9:51 pm

I liked the kudos system.

And as it happens, the revamped UMD forum has a rating system for sites, posts and individual images (and probably two or thee things I haven't even discovered yet!).

I'm not sure we'll ever have something like that here. But maybe phpBB will add that type of feature in a future release. We'll see. :)

Dave
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

nointelhere

Postby nointelhere » Thu May 21, 2009 2:47 am

Perhaps the Kudos program just needs a adjustment. How about every registered member being given 50 Kudos (and only 50) to award as they see fit, with a maximum award to any 1 contributor from another member limited to 3 kudos per contribution. Members who exhaust their supply must earn them back by contributing.
Kudos received by a contributor can be banked and used to award another contributor. Thus the number of kudos in circulation is limited and this should maintain their goodwill value.
An incentive to contribute on a regular basis would be a small but meaningful prize awarded to to contributor that has been awarded the most kudos within a defined period of time.
Producers like Dave and Fred (Yes Duncan, that includes you) would be excluded from the program for obvious reasons.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu May 21, 2009 4:23 am

nointelhere wrote:Producers like Dave and Fred (Yes Duncan, that includes you) would be excluded from the program for obvious reasons.

That's okay. I'm putting my energy into finding a busload of cheerleaders headed into the Great Dismal Swamp. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion”