Contributor Rewards? Kudos?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Kookus

Re: Contributor Rewards? Kudos?

Postby Kookus » Thu May 21, 2009 4:45 am

I know I'm late to the party, but I never really liked the system. I think my biggest gripe was a lack of flexibility. No matter how careful I was with my distribution, I always felt like I was being stingy toward contributors who really deserved praise for their work. Often, I'd see a really great piece and plop down five Kudos, only to hit the next forum and see something equally great.

I always thought a post rating system would be more appropriate. The fact that it's worlds easier to implement has nothing to do with it.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

General Woundwort

Re: Contributor Rewards? Kudos?

Postby General Woundwort » Fri May 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Kookus wrote:I know I'm late to the party, but I never really liked the system. I think my biggest gripe was a lack of flexibility. No matter how careful I was with my distribution, I always felt like I was being stingy toward contributors who really deserved praise for their work. Often, I'd see a really great piece and plop down five Kudos, only to hit the next forum and see something equally great. ..

I agree with this observation. I had the very same misgivings about "kudos" in that the limited number in a 24 hour period made me less likely to give 5 for example (though it was often certainly deserved), and although it was no fault of the designers of the system I still could not help but see 1 kudo as 1 star, and 5 as, well, 5. A rating system might solve these problems; however, kudos - even considering the flaws - can be an effective positive reinforcement, whereas receiving a one star rating for a post will be more of a negative (far more so) than receiving 1 kudo.

Return to “General Discussion”