Good mud spots in the midwest and south?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Komrade_Karl

Good mud spots in the midwest and south?

Postby Komrade_Karl » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:54 am

Hello there. I’m from Wisconsin and I enjoy mud. Not just any though. I like stuff that’s thick, deep, and sticky. Clay I’ve found is the best substance for this. There’s a dried up lake near me perfect for this, but it’s winter and it’s way too cold for this!

I’m curious if anyone in my region or anywhere in the United States knows of areas with deep clay. I’m 5’ 3” so it’s both easy and difficult for me to sink >.>

mudxdresser

Re: Good mud spots in the midwest and south?

Postby mudxdresser » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:36 pm

You're requested search area is to wide to address readily, but, I know where a lot of mudpits are. Message me if you want to go into more detail...

Muddyboy72

Postby Muddyboy72 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:05 am

I’ve found a few spots around the lake Winnebago area here. Mostly use a kayak to get to them.

Bird320

Postby Bird320 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:46 am

Ohh another WI person! Hi! Would love to know where that dried up lake you mention is.

I haven't had much time in the past couple of years to explore for mud, but I've got a few different ideas for locations. I think the worst problem this year was ticks, here's to hoping that their population goes down next year.

An idea I had was to adventure around the State Natural Areas that the DNR designates around the state. They are public with the exception of some controlled areas in a few of the sites, mostly due to rare plants and the like. Other than that they are freely accessible and usually free of people as most of them lack trails. There's more info on them and locations here: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/naturalareas/index.asp

There's a boatload of quarries in SE Wisconsin but I am too afraid to explore - who knows what security and stuff they have. Another idea though for sure.

Definitely feel free to hit me up if you want to talk more! I am hoping to move into my own place after next winter, so am definitely going to be looking for places to explore more going into 2022 when I have more privacy.

Return to “General Discussion”