Buying hipwaders at thrift shop

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
lonesinker

Buying hipwaders at thrift shop

Postby lonesinker » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Hi everyone,I haven,t posted in awhile. I have done a lot of hiking and bog walks over the summer and went to a thrift shop and noticed a lot of gently used hip and chest waders,rubber boots and some clothing that I have purchased so much cheaper,Im talking 75-80 % lower..what a great idea.
I mean not to sound like a cheapo, but I was able to get a lot of items,Im thinking I am not the only one doing this,Im sure a lot of clothing and hipwaders gets used and destroyed quick. I have discovered walking thru deep mud with waders on isn,t as easy as it seems,I dont feel as bad losing the odd pair.

bogbud

Re: Buying hipwaders at thrift shop

Postby bogbud » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:12 am

My chest-waders are only good for one or two seasons at maximum. Then they develop so many leaks i'm not able to fix. Thick mud is a tough environment for thin rubber and packing them tightly rolled in a backpack does not help either.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Lots of people out there with too much money who buy stuff, use it twice, then stick it in a closet till they need room for more stuff and donate it. I've probably saved thousands of dollars buying almost new things at thrift stores over the years. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:17 pm

Wet suits are another useful second hand item. Nessie and HotRod put me on to this and a few made their way into the MPV wardrobe department.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

GordonM

Postby GordonM » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:31 pm

I remember buying my first wetsuit at a pawn shop.

maria

Postby maria » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:56 am

I've had rubber chest waders crack and break down to the point of them being useless. But then on the other hand I've had a pair of genuine Cebo hip waders that have seen so much heavy mud, slime and even sandy quicksand, that they should be well and truly destroyed by now. Must be something to do with the quality of the rubber. Hopefully they will see another few sinks yet !

Return to “General Discussion”