Any locations in Gainesville Florida?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Vmhernandez

Any locations in Gainesville Florida?

Postby Vmhernandez » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:11 am

Hi! I’m new to sinking and to this site so I’m just starting to get into sinking near my area. I was looking at the quicksand map posted on this site and noticed that there aren’t any pins down in the Gainesville area. I went onto maps to look for a good sinking spot and found a limestone quarry. Anyone have any tips or info about that spot or any other ones? Would love to talk more with people here and pontentially meet up (with masks of course lol)

Metablip

Re: Any locations in Gainesville Florida?

Postby Metablip » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:01 am

Not sure about Gainesville, (and I'm sure you saw on the map already), but St. Augustine has some amazing spots. Sinkman61's post have some very thorough information about the area.

Subdude57

Postby Subdude57 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:49 pm

I’m in Macclenny Florida just west of Jax. I go down to st Augustine sometimes and I know some very good spots. If you are interested please let me know. Great weather for mudding around. No bugs this time of year and it’s not hot.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Vmhernandez

Postby Vmhernandez » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:33 am

Subdude57 wrote:I’m in Macclenny Florida just west of Jax. I go down to st Augustine sometimes and I know some very good spots. If you are interested please let me know. Great weather for mudding around. No bugs this time of year and it’s not hot.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Hey I would be interested to go mudding. I’d be willing to talk to you and learn more about the area!

Vmhernandez

Postby Vmhernandez » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:44 am

Subdude57 wrote:I’m in Macclenny Florida just west of Jax. I go down to st Augustine sometimes and I know some very good spots. If you are interested please let me know. Great weather for mudding around. No bugs this time of year and it’s not hot.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Hey, not sure if my first reply went through so I’m sending another one just in case

Subdude57

Postby Subdude57 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:56 pm

I’m in Macclenny so I don’t know if there is anything in Gainesville. If you want to go to St. Augustine I know where to go.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:38 am

If any of you all are interested in going sinking down near Saint Augustine, I know some terrific spots, including the one that I’ve posted pictures of in here. But just in case you haven’t seen it, I’ll post it here in this link. I live just south of Saint Augustine Beach. If you are interested, call my landline at 904-471-2629. Ask for Scottie. If nobody answers, make sure to leave a message. I screen calls on this line, so make sure to ask for Scottie right after the answering machine picks up. I’ll hear it and pick up if I’m home. I have a couple of specific items that you need to comply with if you’re going to sink with me…

1. You MUST wear foot protection. Absolutely NO HEAVY SOLED RUBBER BOOTS OR WADERS OF ANY TYPE. I’m not interested in having to leave you behind because you couldn’t defeat the suction created from sticky tidal mud. Also, no low cut shoes that can easily be pulled off your feet. High top tennis shoes, work boots, and properly fitting dive boots with soles are fine. They need to either tie or zip up above your ankles where they can’t be easily pulled off by the suction from the mud. This is to protect the bottoms and sides of your feet from any oyster shells, as these tend to line the banks between the mud flats and the shoreline. These shells can be as sharp as razor blades. Obviously I don’t go sinking in oyster beds. But we may be required to walk over a few.

2. Take out everything you take in. Leave nothing but your footprints behind. This area is a tidal estuary. That means we leave the area as pristine as we found it.

3. I carry a backpack with plenty of water and room to store phones, etc…. However, bring yourself a waterproof case of some sort for your cellphone if you want it protected.

The primary area that I sink in is totally off the grid and private. That’s not to say that someone else won’t suddenly appear, but that’s never happened yet (there’s a first for everything). So sink in whatever you want. I don’t care. However, don’t sink past your abilities to escape. It’s impossible for another person to actually pull you out of the mud. If you think someone else will be able to rescue you, we’ll, that’s a fantasy. It would take beyond human strength to pull another person out from the mud. So while I can certainly give you some easy, basic instructions on escaping should you ask, I’m not going to pluck you from the mud. When the tide comes in, it’s time to get out of the mud.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:44 am

I left one thing out….

YOU SINK AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:44 am

If any of you all are interested in going sinking down near Saint Augustine, I know some terrific spots, including the one that I’ve posted pictures of in here. But just in case you haven’t seen it, I’ll post it here in this link. I live just south of Saint Augustine Beach. If you are interested, call my landline at 904-471-2629. Ask for Scottie. If nobody answers, make sure to leave a message. I screen calls on this line, so make sure to ask for Scottie right after the answering machine picks up. I’ll hear it and pick up if I’m home. I have a couple of specific items that you need to comply with if you’re going to sink with me…

1. You MUST wear foot protection. Absolutely NO HEAVY SOLED RUBBER BOOTS OR WADERS OF ANY TYPE. I’m not interested in having to leave you behind because you couldn’t defeat the suction created from sticky tidal mud. Also, no low cut shoes that can easily be pulled off your feet. High top tennis shoes, work boots, and properly fitting dive boots with soles are fine. They need to either tie or zip up above your ankles where they can’t be easily pulled off by the suction from the mud. This is to protect the bottoms and sides of your feet from any oyster shells, as these tend to line the banks between the mud flats and the shoreline. These shells can be as sharp as razor blades. Obviously I don’t go sinking in oyster beds. But we may be required to walk over a few.

2. Take out everything you take in. Leave nothing but your footprints behind. This area is a tidal estuary. That means we leave the area as pristine as we found it.

3. I carry a backpack with plenty of water and room to store phones, etc…. However, bring yourself a waterproof case of some sort for your cellphone if you want it protected.

The primary area that I sink in is totally off the grid and private. That’s not to say that someone else won’t suddenly appear, but that’s never happened yet (there’s a first for everything). So sink in whatever you want. I don’t care. However, don’t sink past your abilities to escape. It’s impossible for another person to actually pull you out of the mud. If you think someone else will be able to rescue you, we’ll, that’s a fantasy. It would take beyond human strength to pull another person out from the mud. So while I can certainly give you some easy, basic instructions on escaping should you ask, I’m not going to pluck you from the mud. When the tide comes in, it’s time to get out of the mud.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Here’s directions to some of the best mud in Saint Augustine. BTW, it’s much faster to get to the sinking locations if you bring a bike. First, you go to Guana River Estuary off A1A heading North from Vilano Beach, just north of Saint Augustine. Pull into the Estuary (you have to pay to park). Head as far west as you can . You’ll go down a washboard dirt road to the second paved parking lot. There will be a Jeep trail that’s blocked off on the west end of this parking lot. About 200 feet down it is a covered pavilion to your right, with restrooms immediately following. There’s a water hose at this location that can aid you in last minute clean up for stuff you couldn’t quite get cleaned up in the tidal creek or Intercoastal waterway.

There’s two ways to get to what I refer to as mud lake. First, follow the trail that takes you to the Intercoastal waterway. The directions are posted at the trailhead. It’s about a 1 - 1.5 mile walk (hence, a bike is much faster). Once you get to the Intercoastal, head North along the beach. Cross over the enterence to the first tidal creek and continue North to the second. Along the way there’s some really enticing mud that’s just to the east of the beach. Don’t bother. I’ve explored this entire area extensively. That first bit of mud in no more than waist deep with a very harsh bottom beneath. When you get to the enterence of the second tidal creek, you need to turn east and follow it. About 100 feet in is a huge mud bank to your right that’s completely exposed at low tide. While not directly on the Intercoastal, it can certainly be seen from there. A buddy and I were both sunk neck deep in the middle of that mud bank when two guys pulled up in their fishing boat and stopped at the mouth of the tidal creek to fish. As we were both completely covered with mud, they didn’t notice us. After about 15 minutes of striking out, they left the area. Anyhow, this mud bank is seemingly bottomless. I often sink at the eastern end of this mud bank. But for more privacy head further up the tidal creek. It’ll make several turns in both directions as it winds it’s way closer to the forest. Follow it along until the trees are directly to your south. To the north (your left) you will see yet another exposed mud bank. This one, while much smaller than the first one that I brought up, elevates steeply to a flat top. This is an outstanding sinking area. Just climb up to the top and sink away. I’ve never been able to touch bottom here. But if you skip that mud bank, continue heading east up the tidal creek for about another 100 feet. To the south is a smaller opening with a small tidal drainage in the middle. Go in to that opening and follow it into what will open up into a huge expanse of mud. Welcome to mud lake. The mud here is seemingly bottomless. The area is quite large. The mud here is a bit thicker the closer you are to the shorelines. Word of warning…there’s oyster shells all alone the banks between the mud and the solid ground. This area may well be one of the very best places in all of NE Florida.

Alternative directions…. About 4/5ths of the way from the parking lot to the Intercoastal, you’ll see a single track trail come off to your right and head north. Take that trail. It’ll being you to the far end of the same tidal creek as before, but you need to know when to cut off the trail and plunge into the woods. About 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile you will see a tree immediately to the right hand side of this trail that looks to be cut off about 15 feet up off the ground. It’s like a telephone pole with bark. That’s my landmark. Cut off the trail here and head west into the woods. These are the same woods you were looking at in the prior directions that were to your south when you had gotten to the sinking area. Pushing a bike through these woods isn’t very difficult. Just be aware of where you’re stepping because of snakes. The area will open up with far less undergrowth as you near the embankment at the tidal creek. You can stash your stuff along the embankment going out to mud lake. It will open up immediately to your north. Once in it, you’ll see a small channel that juts outward at the northwestern corner. This is how you entered if you followed the first directions above.

Now, if you’re interested in a more quicksandish type of experience, follow the first directions, only this time when you get to the Intercoastal waterway, you’ll head south instead of going north. There’s a small pathway that leads down to the beach. Immediately to the east of this beach is a muddy area that’s just off a small creek that runs along the backside of this beach. That mud is about thigh deep. I’ve explored this entire area ass well. Head south along the beach. Cross over the first rather small tidal creek. Keep heading south. A short distance further down and the upper part of the beach will start to feel soft. That’s because it’s turning into quicksand. I’ve sank down to my belly button on the beach hear. Unfortunately, it’s nowhere near as private as the area above. I once had a boat speed by as I was about thigh deep. The boat quickly spun around and rushed back as to rescue me from a seemingly sure death. I know this because the guy was yelling out to me, asking if I needed any assistance. Obviously I didn’t, but he had no way of knowing that, at least not until I quickly extracted myself. I particularly like the amount of pressure the quicksand has against the body. It would seem as though you shouldn’t be able to sink because of the relentless pressure squeezing in against you, yet you’ll just keep on sinking down anyhow.

Check the tide tables before you go sinking here. To get the maximum amount of time here, show up about 1 hour prior to mean low tide. That should give you about 4 full hours of playtime. Give me a call if you want to meet up there at the parking lot.

Have a great time with your safe, enjoyable sinking adventure. Remember, tides don’t discriminate. They don’t care who’s stuck in the mus when they rush in. And the tide comes in quick. CHEERS!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion”