Bushwacking

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Rickington

Re: Bushwacking

Postby Rickington » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:33 am

k2g2j2k2 wrote:Fair enough Guess I'll see how it goes this summer. I'm guessing it's best to venture after a week or so has passed since last rain?

I guess it's best to wear boots / long sleeves when exploring such areas? I don't have a boat but most are accessible by going off trail. In one case crossing a creek will lead to 2 miles of shoreline along the lake that is all marshes.

If you're near marshy coastline, I highly recommend getting a kayak to paddle to any potential sinking spots. Honestly, getting a kayak has made finding good mud so much easier. I use an inflatable kayak and they're actually somewhat affordable (and rugged, I've ran over submerged logs and dragged it up rocky beaches). It's great exercise as well, and often, spots you can kayak to will be a lot more secluded than spots that are accessible via land. Also, you can carry a lot more gear on a kayak than you can on foot. One last thing, I speak from personal experience when I say: secure your kayak so it doesn't float away with the current mid-sink :lol:

And the other major advantage of sinking from a kayak is less exposure to ticks (in my case at least) and I don't get scratched up from marsh grass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k2g2j2k2

Postby k2g2j2k2 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:54 am

Rickington wrote:
k2g2j2k2 wrote:Fair enough Guess I'll see how it goes this summer. I'm guessing it's best to venture after a week or so has passed since last rain?

I guess it's best to wear boots / long sleeves when exploring such areas? I don't have a boat but most are accessible by going off trail. In one case crossing a creek will lead to 2 miles of shoreline along the lake that is all marshes.

If you're near marshy coastline, I highly recommend getting a kayak to paddle to any potential sinking spots. Honestly, getting a kayak has made finding good mud so much easier. I use an inflatable kayak and they're actually somewhat affordable (and rugged, I've ran over submerged logs and dragged it up rocky beaches). It's great exercise as well, and often, spots you can kayak to will be a lot more secluded than spots that are accessible via land. Also, you can carry a lot more gear on a kayak than you can on foot. One last thing, I speak from personal experience when I say: secure your kayak so it doesn't float away with the current mid-sink :lol:

And the other major advantage of sinking from a kayak is less exposure to ticks (in my case at least) and I don't get scratched up from marsh grass.

I haven't thought about this but it sounds like a viable option. Thanks!

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:13 pm

Yeah, just approach cautiously. If you think you can see a way through the cattails, go for it. I guess the question is how much effort will it take to get to what you're looking for. I like to get messy and submerged, which also would clear any bugs off of my skin too. What part of the country are you in?

k2g2j2k2

Postby k2g2j2k2 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Had an uneventful excursion yesterday. Saw an area there was a lot of tall grass to get through. That stuff is exhausting to walk through. I went in a bi to far and it was pretty tough to get back out. Was pretty hot that day. Got chewed up by mosquitos but nothing came of it. :cry:

Return to “General Discussion”