Homemade Mud Jacuzzi

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
QSMud

Re: Homemade Mud Jacuzzi

Postby QSMud » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm

I think a 330 Gallon Reconditioned IBC Tote might be a good idea. Someone else posted about using one.

mscfmjkj

Postby mscfmjkj » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 am

QSMud wrote:I think a 330 Gallon Reconditioned IBC Tote might be a good idea. Someone else posted about using one.

Interesting!

QSMud

Postby QSMud » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:54 pm

I remembered where I saw the photos: https://umd.net/farmcouple
Videos too.

Have you thought about your landlord visiting on short notice?

mscfmjkj

Postby mscfmjkj » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:44 pm

QSMud wrote:I remembered where I saw the photos: https://umd.net/farmcouple
Videos too.

Have you thought about your landlord visiting on short notice?

Well, it is Florida... so I guess I'd offer him a beer and invite him to hop on in?

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:41 pm

A 1/2 hp spa pump will circulate liquid clay but only if the fluid is not too thick. The problem is not getting it to circulate but the heat that builds up from the motor having to work twice as hard to pump something thicker than the water it is designed for. I have 1/2 hp motor rigged to circulate clay in a 5 gallon bucket to mix mud in and have had no trouble getting it to work as long as I put a high volume fan right beside the motor when it is running...

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:15 pm

also remember that obs board rots too I've seen paintball fields use obs board to build buildings. after a while somebody comes running through a wall and the field changes a bit. imagine that but a lot sooner cause obs board isn't as strong as plywood also why not just use cinderblocks and mortor I'm sure one can find cinder blocks cheap at a stone cutting facility

mscfmjkj

Postby mscfmjkj » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 pm

STEP 1: Acquire IBC Tote - SUCCESS!
IMG_4801.JPG

STEP 2: Remove top and prepare to fill with clay!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mscfmjkj

Postby mscfmjkj » Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 am

STEP 2: Remove top - SUCCESS!

before I get carried away and start dumping in buckets of clay, I've got to give the interior a quick wash. Next I'm going to insert some pond liner for extra security (in case the plastic has worn any weak spots in its previous use). I've decided not to bother with a heating element. In 90-100+ degree weather I wouldn't want my clay pit heated anyway; and if it's 60s or below I have plenty else to keep me entertained indoors. As a backup, I might mix up a big pool of slime in the garage! :mrgreen:

Tote Top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat May 08, 2021 1:33 am

I wouldn't bother with the pond liner, if the plastic tub fails the liner would just rip too. It would be like trying to reinforce body armor with a Ziplock sandwich bag.
That being said though you're on the right track. If I remember correctly those totes are made from HDPE plastic, which is incredibly strong and flexible. I wouldn't hesitate to fill that up in my garage. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

mscfmjkj

Postby mscfmjkj » Wed May 12, 2021 7:54 pm

700lbs of bentonite clay: CHECK! (4 more bags not shown)
IMG_4812.JPG

This extra high yield stuff is much finer than what I've seen before. It's a very fine powder - meaning mask & eye protection while mixing is a must! I have a feeling a little is gonna go a long way. I scooped out just 3 cups of dry powder and that soaked up nearly 2 gallons of water super fast. We'll see how much more it settles overnight.

Just another thought... my one complaint with bentonite is that it's not as tactile as some other clays. Bentonite swells up to be wonderfully smooth and gel-like, but it doesn't have elasticity or stickiness - it doesn't grab on to you. For some, that would be a positive, but I like thick, sticky, stretchy stuff! I've ordered a sample of sodium polyacrylamide (PAM in the industry), which is commonly used in agriculture. It can also be found as Slime Baff. Now here's some seriously sticky and stretchy slime!

I plan to experiment with combining PAM and bentonite. They may end up being immiscible, but wouldn't that be stellar if they mixed together to create something with the consistency like heavy, sticky, stretchy dough?!? :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”