Anyone know of sinking spots in south florida???

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
bigmike305

Anyone know of sinking spots in south florida???

Postby bigmike305 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:12 am

I've lived in Miramar Florida (basically south Florida) my whole life and I haven't found any good natural sinking spots. The only good spots I find are at construction sites and they are great but only last so long as the construction completes. I feel like an idiot for not knowing any spots down here!!!! Does any body know any good spots to sink here????? I used to have an awesome sinking spot right next store! My neigboors had an old dried up pond that was about 30x30 feet and it was practically bottomless the whole way through!!! But i didn't sink it for a about a year and when i went back to it, it had been over grown with vegetation :( So if there is anybody out there who wants a sinking buddy in south Florida or could share your sinking spots with me I'd reallllllllllly appreciate it!! Thanks a bunch and i look forward to hearing from you!!!! :D

mudxdresser

Re: Anyone know of sinking spots in south florida???

Postby mudxdresser » Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 pm

There should be vast pure clay mudpits associated with the phosphate mining sorta in the Fort Meade area, sometimes they get in the news when the mud busts out. Some of them can be seen on the satellite view in Google maps. Good hunting...

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed May 06, 2009 3:58 am

I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year back in my wasted youth. One thing I learned was that ANY body of fresh water south of Tampa-Orlando-Cocoa could have a 'gator in it. Even swimming pools were not immune. One day the game officers shot an eight footer in the canal behind my apartment after it had inhaled some ducks that kids had just been feeding.

Just something to keep in mind. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

jack c

Postby jack c » Thu May 07, 2009 12:12 am

There is a Yahoo Group called FloridaBogHunters. Check it out; one of the things they post is locations specifically limited to Florida. There are some decent posts and pix, as well.

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:38 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year back in my wasted youth. One thing I learned was that ANY body of fresh water south of Tampa-Orlando-Cocoa could have a 'gator in it. Even swimming pools were not immune. One day the game officers shot an eight footer in the canal behind my apartment after it had inhaled some ducks that kids had just been feeding.

Just something to keep in mind. 8-)

I live in Orlando and yeah there are gator everywhere. I've seen 2 of the best mud locations ever in my life. One in a trail the other in my apartment complex. Both had a gator not more than 5 feet from it. Almost like the Gator is the guardian of the mud pit. It's a shame cause my apartment complex is literally in a swamp. Well used to be. It's been completely gutted and cleaned out n everything but we are surrounded by woods and swamp. I would love to just take a machete one day and make my own trail, but I'm pretty concerned that I would run into one of these bad boys. In my complex, we even had gator crossing from on pond to another in the middle of the road. lol.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 am

Sometimes I feel sorry for myself because I live so far north that if I leave my state to go any farther north, I'll be in Canada, but, ya know...that thirty-below-zero stuff, nasty as it is to live through, does get rid of a lot of things.

Poison sumac? Yeah. Guess I got that.

But I got no gators. Anywhere. Not even one.

Nessie

Return to “General Discussion”