Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene/Near Misses

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
MadMax359

Re: Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene

Postby MadMax359 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:19 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:Yeah I guess the real answer is "Any movie that doesn't have one." Another way to look at would be all the missed opportunities that we've cataloged here before. If I had to pick just a likely candidate for one that the scene would have fit and made the movie better it would have to be one or all of several opportunities involving Julie Strain. Most of the Epic schlock bomb flicks produced by Andy Sidaris had swamp or island locations with some fabulous ladies who occasionally met untimely ends. Enemy Gold, Return to Savage Beach, The Dallas Connection, and a host of others could easily have fulfilled my fantasies for a lifetime if Julie Strain, Shae Marks, Julie K. Smith, had sunk into a Louisiana swamp instead of being shot or blown up.

Another, and I use the term lightly, "movie" that would have been remembered the world over to this day if it had the right quicksand scene - Queen of Lost Island also starring Julie Strain. The most redeeming parts of this plotless exercise involve Julie running around topless waving a big sword. Not that any of that is bad but it would have been a golden chance to make the movie about something island like if Julie had been waving her sword as she disappeared nude into a very deep bog.

Even without categories involving Julie Strain I could make this an endless list.

yes! these were great... Shae Marks was a particular favorite of mine :twisted:
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Theo

Postby Theo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:56 am

Fred588 wrote:The bit for Weatherchannel was actually produced by an independent outfit and broadcast by Weatherchannel. It was a piece supposedly on the science of quicksand. The actually had a professor of physics from somewhere who stood about knee deep in the pit I had with actual, albeit artificially driven, sand and explained the physics to the viewer. The RadioLab thing was just an interview (audio only) bout what quicksand is. All three (with the Swedish one being a potential fourth) were within a year of each other. I suspect they all watch each other and steal ideas.

A different year there was also a group of four MFA students from a major university who used my clay pit for four days to male a rather avant guarde short film. Most of it featured from one to four people at a time in the clay with wigs on backwards to cover their faces and breathing through tubes hidden below the surface, slowly rising, turning, and sinking. They had me running their cameras at 2AM on the last night while all four of them were in the mud. I understand their film was featured in shows at the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art in New York, and at similar institutions in Chicago and Tel Aviv. They gave it the title "The 588 Project." What it was really about is anyone's guess.

I vaguely remember something from the Weather Channel now but I can't remember the whole thing or if I even saw the whole thing or just an add for it (which ever way, I must've sleep too much since then :lol: ). I'll have to search around for it.

"The 588 Project" is curious, but I know what you mean, I've seen a few of those "Avant" short films and they usually don't make much sense :?: :roll:

That is pretty cool though that people come to you to do that kinda stuff. Thanks for the info Fred!
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Theo

Postby Theo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:02 am

Mynock wrote:The most recent I can think of that really missed the mark is Mad Max Fury Road. The scene where the War Rig gets stuck in a swamp and and all of Immortan Joe's escaped harem girls jump out to help push had me so on edge....come on.....one of you wander off and start sinking.......oh no wait the Albino guy who likes eating spray paint figured out the winch we're saved! DAMMIT :evil:

I think I saw a little of that on someone's phone sitting next to me on a plane once, but never the whole thing. Your idea sounds good though, that did did sound like a missed opportunity for us :(
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Theo

Postby Theo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:28 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:Yeah I guess the real answer is "Any movie that doesn't have one." Another way to look at would be all the missed opportunities that we've cataloged here before.

Yeah, I guess my idea was missed opportunities or just any movie that makes sense where you fantasized about it having a quicksand scene. Like I replied to Fred, my first thought was also: "just about any," but I also think that'd be a little too obvious and boring to the general audience :lol: And of course, quicksand doesn't really fit in to historical movies, unless it really did happen in real life which is rare.

Duncan Edwards wrote:If I had to pick just a likely candidate for one that the scene would have fit and made the movie better it would have to be one or all of several opportunities involving Julie Strain. Most of the Epic schlock bomb flicks produced by Andy Sidaris had swamp or island locations with some fabulous ladies who occasionally met untimely ends. Enemy Gold, Return to Savage Beach, The Dallas Connection, and a host of others could easily have fulfilled my fantasies for a lifetime if Julie Strain, Shae Marks, Julie K. Smith, had sunk into a Louisiana swamp instead of being shot or blown up.

The others I've never seen, but Return to Savage Beach, ah yes, I think I remember watching that one like 20 years ago and of course, hoping the whole time it featured a quicksand scene (and naturally nudity :P ).

Duncan Edwards wrote:Another, and I use the term lightly, "movie" that would have been remembered the world over to this day if it had the right quicksand scene - Queen of Lost Island also starring Julie Strain. The most redeeming parts of this plotless exercise involve Julie running around topless waving a big sword. Not that any of that is bad but it would have been a golden chance to make the movie about something island like if Julie had been waving her sword as she disappeared nude into a very deep bog.

"Movie" lol :lol: That one I don't remember, but it and your idea sounds awesome! :P

Duncan Edwards wrote:Even without categories involving Julie Strain I could make this an endless list.

Given time, I'm sure we all could! A list as endless, as quicksand is bottomless ;)

Theo

Postby Theo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:31 am

Fred588 wrote:I calculate about 150G to pay about 20-25 models for two-days each, purchase an old bus, dispose of a muddy bus, dig and fill about eight pits, hire a backhoe to dig the pits (or a giant pick machine and an explosive expert to do it at my studio), hire a bus-sized machine to extract and haul away the bus, pay the heavy equipment operator to keep his mouth shut, and rather large hotel bill. Anyone here want to part with that much?

I'm down for that and I'll be in touch with you; just as soon as I win the lotto :lol:

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:33 pm

Spring Breakers.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Theo

Postby Theo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 am

OBI-wan wrote:Spring Breakers.

Hmmm... an excellent suggestion. The girls get lost, wind up in the Everglades, and find themselves trapped and sinking in the same quicksand from the Man vs. Wild Everglades episode. What a tantalizing prospect :P

SinkerCutie

Postby SinkerCutie » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:45 am

Theo wrote:
OBI-wan wrote:Spring Breakers.

Hmmm... an excellent suggestion. The girls get lost, wind up in the Everglades, and find themselves trapped and sinking in the same quicksand from the Man vs. Wild Everglades episode. What a tantalizing prospect :P

You have no idea how much I wish it was Woman vs Wild instead of Man vs Wild...

Theo

Postby Theo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 am

SinkerCutie wrote:You have no idea how much I wish it was Woman vs Wild instead of Man vs Wild...

Oh yeah... I've thought that too, soooo many times :P

Theo

Postby Theo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:23 am

SinkerCutie wrote:You have no idea how much I wish it was Woman vs Wild instead of Man vs Wild...

Worthy of a second reply :D Always have I dreamed and wished we could replace Bear Grylls with an attractive female in any one of the three episodes with quicksand, especially the Everglades and Desert quicksand (the Scotland bog one I can take or leave, but I wouldn't complain much if it could be true for that one also). I still have hope he'll do a Running Wild with a some super model or actress and get her stuck in quicksand :P

An old idea of mine was actually to write a story (or two) with that theme, but my thought was little more than cut "Bear Grylls," insert "feminine name" so I didn't think that'd be too interesting. I still might sometime, but for now, I have plenty of other better ideas. Inspiration I'm not short on, however, time to write, is becoming a little more scarce.

Return to “General Discussion”