Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene/Near Misses

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Theo

Re: Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene

Postby Theo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:14 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:I know this one well and I'll never understand why I don't remember it more often. Being a great fan of tall brunettes, Jane Russell in quicksand would be a dream come true up there with anyone else in old Hollywood. She was definitely the greatest gift Howard Hughes ever made to the world. I understand the Blu-Ray edition fixes a lot of cuts and crops for tv. Make me wonder if it's worth getting it. Yes, one of the great missed opportunities of all time. :shock:

And here, I figured no one would have any comment on The Tall Men. It was oh so tantalizingly close to a quicksand scene. Such a shame :cry: That last photo of Nella on her horse must've been right before the quicksand scene that wasn't.
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:23 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:Right. They got it backwards. It should have been Yvonne sinking while they were fighting. If they had really got it right she would be wearing nothing after having just emerged from taking a bath. These guys are fighting over her as she goes under and then head to the saloon together as the bubbles come up. :mrgreen:

I don't think I've seen that one. But I can just picture it, Yvonne leaves to go get a rope, but the two guys get out and continue their fight elsewhere. Yvonne comes back, not seeing the men, she goes into the pit with the rope to try and rescue the them, but she finds nothing, and before she can pull on the rope to get out, the horse bolts, and the rope slips through her hands. And then, she's alone in the pit, and slowly sinking ;)
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:25 am

beachbum wrote:I would add the most recent Lara Croft movie also. There were plenty of opportunities for her to sink in that one too.

I forgot they made a more recent one. Haven't seen it, I'll have to look it up.

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:28 am

SinkerCutie wrote:Turns out, Mummy Returns DOES have a quicksand scene...but it's short and all the victims are male. A pity, really.

You're right! I forgot about that, but then again, I often forget male quicksand scenes. They missed the mark on that one, it should've been Rachel Weisz :x

jadokast98

Postby jadokast98 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:41 pm

Theo wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:I know this one well and I'll never understand why I don't remember it more often. Being a great fan of tall brunettes, Jane Russell in quicksand would be a dream come true up there with anyone else in old Hollywood. She was definitely the greatest gift Howard Hughes ever made to the world. I understand the Blu-Ray edition fixes a lot of cuts and crops for tv. Make me wonder if it's worth getting it. Yes, one of the great missed opportunities of all time. :shock:

And here, I figured no one would have any comment on The Tall Men. It was oh so tantalizingly close to a quicksand scene. Such a shame :cry: That last photo of Nella on her horse must've been right before the quicksand scene that wasn't.

I couldn't recall the name of that movie, I had mistaken it for Red River as I had seen it when I was in Oklahoma. But anyway; in the era of missed opportunities... This worked good enough. I looked for the scene in images and videos and i did come up with the full movie. I hope I have it tagged before she falls off her horse which is the scene in question. It does show her struggling to get to her feet is all there is.
https://youtu.be/2i70c-GMz3Y ... If not forward to 1:18:15 or so. Could have been a Gem though!

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:42 pm

jadokast98 wrote:I couldn't recall the name of that movie, I had mistaken it for Red River as I had seen it when I was in Oklahoma. But anyway; in the era of missed opportunities... This worked good enough. I looked for the scene in images and videos and i did come up with the full movie. I hope I have it tagged before she falls off her horse which is the scene in question. It does show her struggling to get to her feet is all there is.
https://youtu.be/2i70c-GMz3Y ... If not forward to 1:18:15 or so. Could have been a Gem though!

Glad you found that, I could only watch it once last week as not to arise suspicion :? I had the same experience, I saw a western probably ten years ago with a similar scene but I could've sworn the leading man was John Wayne? But now that I think of it, maybe it was this one after all :?:

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:45 am

Out of Africa (1985)

I know it's supposed to be a true story, but I still would've loved to see Meryl Streep in quicksand in her safari outfits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Theo

Postby Theo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:25 pm

Vertigo (1958)

Another Hitchcock fav of mine (Most of Hitchcock’s movies are my favorites lol). I’ve seen some good looking mudflats at the southern end of San Francisco Bay which got me to thinking, what if, instead of falling into the bay near the Golden Gate Bridge, Madeleine/Judy (Kim Novak) walked out onto the mudflats and started sinking? Not realizing Scottie (Jimmy Stewart) lost track of her. She panics and sinks to her neck before fainting from fear. Then Scottie finally finds her and rescues her. Much better than almost drowning (or faking her drowning) under the Golden Gate Bridge :D

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:45 pm

Can't believe nobody ever mentions Tarzan and the She-Devil. Joyce Mackenzie as Jane has the most redeeming moment in the movie when she blunders into a swamp hole and spends five minutes, with cut-aways, outrunning the snake that threatened Vera Miles in Tarzan's Hidden Jungle She does a nice job with a wet struggle that could have been so much better with a little gunk in the water. She keeps grabbing vines that don't work and I'm sure they were implying this was really boggy even though she emerges looking like she just had a shower. Monique Van Voren plays a bad girl who strolls around in a tight safari gear all the time. Pity it couldn't have been her too.

Trailer for Tarzan and the She Devil
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Black Clay Lord

Postby Black Clay Lord » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 am

Posting here again, because I feel that Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) could've had potential for a quicksand scene. I mean, you have all these titans fighting one another, and all those fights could've caused earthquakes. And earthquakes can produce quicksand.
There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning. "—and methodically knocking peoples' hats off. Then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I ca—"

Return to “General Discussion”