Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene/Near Misses

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Theo

Re: Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene

Postby Theo » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:51 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:Yeah that sounds like a definite. Wait until she has to meet a guy. He'll show up at the last minute to save the day. Almost have to be a minority ethnic cowboy now too.

Lol :lol: Yep, we can only hope. She’d look great in some quicksand, and maybe it’ll muddy her “fanciful” narration of their little adventure out west :lol:

One of the wranglers (the same one who warned everyone about it being boggy by the river actually) is already coming on to her, and she’s getting sweet on him. Though it would appear, based on the flash forward to the end in the beginning of episode one, that Elsa ultimately gets skewered by an Indians arrow. But I’m sure they’ll find a way for her to survive that, just like in Yellowstone where all the Dutton’s somehow survived getting blown up and shot to pieces in the last episode of season three :roll:
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Theo

Postby Theo » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:54 am

My apologies in advance for resurrecting an old topic, but I thought of a couple more movies to add.

The Mask of Zorro (1998)

It’s been a decade plus since I’ve seen this so I can’t remember a specific scene where a quicksand scene could’ve been. But I seem to recall it was set in a desert or something, and I remember hoping Catherine Zeta-Jones would end up in quicksand at point. But no such luck.

The Red House (1947)

It had such promising plot elements: a mysterious forbidden forest, and some pretty damsels walking and running through said forest, at times alone. Someone even once said, “it’s boggy on the other side of the creek,” and the words “quicksand” and “deep mud” where were also mentioned, though not exactly in the right context. But alas, no quicksand scene, though it was still a pretty good watch nonetheless.
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:46 am

Theo wrote:
Herzeleid wrote:"Jumanji, Welcome To The Jungle " What I wouldn't give to see Karen Gillan sinking in a nice pit of quicksand. 8-)

I haven't seen that one, but I Googled Karen Gillan's character in Jumanji and woah yeah, I'd love to see her in some jungle quicksand :P

4358.jpg

beachbum wrote:I agree with Jumanji being such a missed opportunity. You watch that movie just waiting for her to sink into something. It would have been so easy to do. Didn't she sink in a hole or something in Dr. Who or some other show?
. Here you are.

You are 100% correct beachbum, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FITGdsc4kHc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:51 am

Theo wrote:
Herzeleid wrote:"Jumanji, Welcome To The Jungle " What I wouldn't give to see Karen Gillan sinking in a nice pit of quicksand. 8-)

I haven't seen that one, but I Googled Karen Gillan's character in Jumanji and woah yeah, I'd love to see her in some jungle quicksand :P
Here you go Herzeleid.
4358.jpg

beachbum wrote:I agree with Jumanji being such a missed opportunity. You watch that movie just waiting for her to sink into something. It would have been so easy to do. Didn't she sink in a hole or something in Dr. Who or some other show?

You are 100% correct beachbum, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FITGdsc4kHc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:36 am

Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene

You name it, I wish it.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:21 am

SinkerCutie wrote:
Theo wrote:
OBI-wan wrote:Spring Breakers.

Hmmm... an excellent suggestion. The girls get lost, wind up in the Everglades, and find themselves trapped and sinking in the same quicksand from the Man vs. Wild Everglades episode. What a tantalizing prospect :P

You have no idea how much I wish it was Woman vs Wild instead of Man vs Wild...

And here we go.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:10 pm

Theo wrote:My apologies in advance for resurrecting an old topic, but I thought of a couple more movies to add.

The Mask of Zorro (1998)

It’s been a decade plus since I’ve seen this so I can’t remember a specific scene where a quicksand scene could’ve been. But I seem to recall it was set in a desert or something, and I remember hoping Catherine Zeta-Jones would end up in quicksand at point. But no such luck.

The Red House (1947)

It had such promising plot elements: a mysterious forbidden forest, and some pretty damsels walking and running through said forest, at times alone. Someone even once said, “it’s boggy on the other side of the creek,” and the words “quicksand” and “deep mud” where were also mentioned, though not exactly in the right context. But alas, no quicksand scene, though it was still a pretty good watch nonetheless.

You nailed two great ones right there. Catherine Zeta Jones first big notice on screen for which I am still being reminded of my reaction to by my wife. Little known "The Red House" which I sat through while waiting for what seemed an absolute lock on a pretty girl scene and yielded nothing. Pretty creepy flick though especially for it's day. Early on I marked the "bad girl" for a fatal experience. Very disappointing.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Duncan Edwards

Re: Movies You Wished Had A Quicksand Scene/Near Misses

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:43 pm

Here's one of a pair of near misses that were ripe for scenes and still managed to miss the opportunity - Don't Make Waves (1967) with Tony Curtis and a stellar line up of ladies - Sharon Tate, Claudia Cardinale, and Joanna Barnes. It's a typically very silly '60's flick with two epic highlight scenes. The first is Sharon Tate on a trampoline in a couple of minutes that should have won an Oscar. (Also renews my absolute hate for Charles Manson and his followers in ways that can't be described.) The second is all three leading ladies end up trapped in a house that is slowly being enveloped in mud. All kinds of crazy stuff happens as the house rolls down a hill but the ladies never get dirty. First time I saw this on tv as a kid I kept waiting. Heartbreaking.

Trailer for Don't Make Waves

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:14 pm

Another really painful near miss was Meteor (1979) with Sean Connery, Brian Keith, and of all the connections - Natalie Wood. It's an incomprehensibly bad movie produced by the Master of Disaster, Irwin Allen. In the final climactic moments of the movie a splinter of a meteor set to destroy the earth strikes an underground bunker in the subway beneath the Hudson river in NYC. Over a million gallons of Bentonite were used for the mud rushing into a scene produced by a guy with a great quicksand track record aaaaaand...nothing. Mrs. Wood, whose buxom sister also made it with with Sean Connery in Diamonds Are Forever, and also sank in a bad scene which might also be recorded as sort of a near miss, is barely more than splashed. Same for the rest of the female extras in the scene. Disaster movie indeed.

And yes, I sat through it on opening night. Didn't last much longer than that.

Trailer for Meteor (1979)

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:35 pm

Superbad…because why not?

Return to “General Discussion”