Beware of innocent looking dry sand

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
maria

Re: Beware of innocent looking dry sand

Postby maria » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:31 am

And thanks Bogbud for the positive comments - always good to hear.

There's a whole side-angle story on the quickmud episode and how weirdly impacting the experience was ... put it this way, I think maybe the old-school idea of just leaning back and allowing your legs to float to the surface, and then slithering away, might not be right for all sinking situations.

If it was that easy to crawl out of these situations, I would jump right back in. The reality is that I now know that if the "desire" gets the better of me and I do accidentally ( :o ) step" into that mire again, I might not be so lucky to write words and post videos again. Be careful out there - but wow, that is quickmud of dreams!!!

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:53 pm

How stuck you were was definitely exacerbated by the waders but I don't think you were in any real danger.

Keep in mind too that while the process of freeing your legs is simple it can be time consuming. When I go deep in quarry mud like that (like shoulder depth or deeper) depending on the thickness of the mud it usually takes me 3x as long to get out as it did to sink in.

I still remember one memorable experience where I got my legs stuck in a much thicker layer of clay deep down in the pit. I think sinking in to my neck took me 20 minutes, my feet being anchored in that thick stuff made sinking down quite easy. Then I went to get out and realized how bad my legs were stuck. Took me the better part of 2 hours to escape. :lol:
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

awdc

Postby awdc » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:54 am

Glad you got out ok and sorry it was scary, that definitely hurts the fun and mood of this place. Your location does look wonderful though. I would love to stumble into something unexpectedly like that.

Raptor90

Postby Raptor90 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:38 am

I tried several different quarries and can never manage to get past my lower chest, way too difficult without any leverage

maria

Postby maria » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:54 pm

I think a lot of sinkers do it with not many clothes and no footwear. I suppose wearing boots makes it a bit harder to get out of these muddy areas. Be interesting to hear who likes wearing the waders or boots and who has overstepped the boundaries of sinking out of desire ...

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:56 am

maria wrote:I think a lot of sinkers do it with not many clothes and no footwear. I suppose wearing boots makes it a bit harder to get out of these muddy areas. Be interesting to hear who likes wearing the waders or boots and who has overstepped the boundaries of sinking out of desire ...

Over here...(you knew that of course :lol: )

Finally made it back to my bog and this time i did the mud allow to swamp my waders multiple times.
I did become wet and totally messy from head to toe of course, but not THAT much, so that i was not able to lift them back up. That bog is thick and presses my waders thightly around me, so the amount of stuff thats gets inside is quite limited.

1.png

2.jpg

Going to that location without proper gear is impossible! Mosquitos are dieing off slowly, but the mud is always cold, even in summer.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Maria you must be quick on the fly with that camera,I guess you have to store the camera in a good and waterproof area to avoid damaging it,I would be so panicking but at least you calmed yourself enough to get a few good pictures and thanks for sharing that but imagine being shoulder deep in that thick clay, taking self pictures at this point would be impossible. I am thinking setting up a camera on a tri pod near the area would be idea 8-)

maria

Postby maria » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:34 am

bogbud wrote:
maria wrote:I think a lot of sinkers do it with not many clothes and no footwear. I suppose wearing boots makes it a bit harder to get out of these muddy areas. Be interesting to hear who likes wearing the waders or boots and who has overstepped the boundaries of sinking out of desire ...

Over here...(you knew that of course :lol: )

Finally made it back to my bog and this time i did the mud allow to swamp my waders multiple times.
I did become wet and totally messy from head to toe of course, but not THAT much, so that i was not able to lift them back up. That bog is thick and presses my waders thightly around me, so the amount of stuff thats gets inside is quite limited.

1.png

2.jpg

Going to that location without proper gear is impossible! Mosquitos are dieing off slowly, but the mud is always cold, even in summer.

Good to see you in DEEP again!!!

maria

Postby maria » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:36 am

lonesinker wrote:Maria you must be quick on the fly with that camera,I guess you have to store the camera in a good and waterproof area to avoid damaging it,I would be so panicking but at least you calmed yourself enough to get a few good pictures and thanks for sharing that but imagine being shoulder deep in that thick clay, taking self pictures at this point would be impossible. I am thinking setting up a camera on a tri pod near the area would be idea 8-)

There's a stage when taking pictures becomes no longer possible unless I have another camera in my hand while the other one films away!

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:49 pm

That story sounds like fun to me

Return to “General Discussion”