Beware of innocent looking dry sand

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
maria

Beware of innocent looking dry sand

Postby maria » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:12 am

Thought I might share a recent experience where I was taken by surprise.

I found a new quarry and there are patches of dry cracking clay which is hard and you cannot sink into it unless you get to the wet edge. And then there is a wide area of fine white sand and drifting sand dunes.

I plucked up the courage to go and explore the clay part and so I put my waders on and started walking across the sand towards the hollow where the wet clay could be seen (top of the photo above the last patches of grass.

There are a shallow channels through the sand and my boot sank in some shallow stuff and pulled out clean (like on a beach). But when I walked another few yards the situation turned scary and out of control. Quickmud! Before I knew it I was sinking fast until I was waist deep, my waders were flooding with creamy clay sitting 30 cm below the sandy surface. I barely escaped and ended up having to crawl and drag myself across the liquified sand for 10 metres before I could stand up safely. My gloves kept plunging through the surface. Talk about racing heart beat!

I was literally trembling with fear. I couldn't feel any bottom or firm ground and I experienced three and half minutes of sheer and pure panic. What made it really scary was I had no stick and the sand around was liquifying so quickly forcing the clay to come to the surface. You can see the shallow channel where I sank on the bottom left of the photo. Even when I managed to get to the reeds on the right I kept sinking there - it was a nerve racking ordeal!! I took this picture before I got into trouble.

Has anyone experienced this type of quickmud/sinking situation before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maria

Re: Beware of innocent looking dry sand

Postby maria » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:19 am

Here's a screen shot from behind just before my waders lost the battle! You can see the fine sand on top of the clay and when the two mix, you're in trouble.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJlurker

Postby DJlurker » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:53 am

I’m glad you managed to escape! :o

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Wow Maria..I have never experienced anything like that but looks very intriguing,I am sure you didn,t notice the danger I mean how could you with a layer of golden sand covering the clay,most people would not see the potential danger. Also the sand must have added thickness to the clay,thats probably why you were trapped in there along with the weight of your boots. It looked fun either way just happy you were able to maneuver your way out of that stuff,nice photo by the way. I wonder if other hikers or walkers walked around that area..looks very innocent and inviting.
thank you for sharing :) will you be trying that again?

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:40 pm

It's pretty common for quarry mud to crust over like that.

It only takes a few sunny dry days for large areas of my regular sinking spot to crust over and appear solid. If I visit after a prolinged dry spell the crust will even support the weight of a person for a few steps before giving way like thin ice.....and down you go to waist or even chest deep. :twisted:

I have no experience with waders, but I'd guess that trying to drag yourself out with your pants filled with 40lbs of mud would be the reason you had so much trouble. :) I would suggest exploring without them first.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

maria

Postby maria » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:44 pm

lonesinker wrote:Wow Maria..I have never experienced anything like that but looks very intriguing,I am sure you didn,t notice the danger I mean how could you with a layer of golden sand covering the clay,most people would not see the potential danger. Also the sand must have added thickness to the clay,thats probably why you were trapped in there along with the weight of your boots. It looked fun either way just happy you were able to maneuver your way out of that stuff,nice photo by the way. I wonder if other hikers or walkers walked around that area..looks very innocent and inviting.
thank you for sharing :) will you be trying that again?

I wasn't expecting it at all. To be honest it was so scary I'm not sure if I'll do it again. You have to wear clothes there as it's not a secluded and private area. And wearing clothes is a must and boots as well as there's nowhere to clean up afterwards. I had to take off my jeans and waders and put them in a big bag in the car and change into clean clothes - that was hard enough in itself!

There's some videos on my YT channel if anyone is interested in how it turned out.

If any hikers stumbled into this stuff they would be in massive trouble - or at least up to their shoulders before the buoyancy kept them above the quickmud.

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:53 am

Up to your shoulders :shock: oh my god especially weighed down with your waders,you must have been exausted struggling out of that and worse nothing to grab. Hopefully your car was not too far away so that someone would notice you :) and I can only imagine trying to change your clothes in that mess. I use to carry plastic garbage bags and a few old blankets to prevent ruining the inside of my car. Awesome pictures too,you said they were on youtube under what nic? .That spot is definately true quicksand,it camouflages the clay and looks very deceiving

quickman

Postby quickman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:30 am

Sounds nightmarish, like something from a movie. Love to see your YT channel

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:41 pm

lonesinker wrote:Up to your shoulders :shock: oh my god especially weighed down with your waders,you must have been exausted struggling out of that and worse nothing to grab. Hopefully your car was not too far away so that someone would notice you :) and I can only imagine trying to change your clothes in that mess. I use to carry plastic garbage bags and a few old blankets to prevent ruining the inside of my car. Awesome pictures too,you said they were on youtube under what nic? .That spot is definately true quicksand,it camouflages the clay and looks very deceiving

Hey, Maria is the Alter Ego of "stuckcouple". Sure everyone here knows the vids, posted over the years!

Terrific location and experience! Great work!!!!
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

maria

Postby maria » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 am

bogbud wrote:
lonesinker wrote:Up to your shoulders :shock: oh my god especially weighed down with your waders,you must have been exausted struggling out of that and worse nothing to grab. Hopefully your car was not too far away so that someone would notice you :) and I can only imagine trying to change your clothes in that mess. I use to carry plastic garbage bags and a few old blankets to prevent ruining the inside of my car. Awesome pictures too,you said they were on youtube under what nic? .That spot is definately true quicksand,it camouflages the clay and looks very deceiving

Hey, Maria is the Alter Ego of "stuckcouple". Sure everyone here knows the vids, posted over the years!

Terrific location and experience! Great work!!!!

Yes, The Stuckcouple alter ego does exist and Bogbud is correct - hope you enjoy the various videos that appear periodically!

Return to “General Discussion”