Super hero characters

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Fred588
Producer

Super hero characters

Postby Fred588 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:43 pm

Thi post is to try to open the topic of super heros and super herroines as fodder for fan fiction and/or video. They seem to be fairly popular although they are not my thing particularly. If I may, I'd like to start with the topic of just what defines a super h. I can see from the comic book world that a super h seems to b characterized by possession of one or more special powers, usually on the magical side, and the super h character is always (or nearly always) clothed in a rather outlandish sort of costume, such as brightly colored tights, a cape, and often a mask. Let me ask the questions, however, can the special power be something more realistic and can the costume be less extreme?" The answer is yes in my opinion but I'd like to know what others think. For example, does the Lone Ranger qualify as a super h? He seemed to have a special degree of ability to fight, integrity, and honesty and his costumer was flashy but not ll that extreme except for the mask. Or how about Sherlock Holmes. His special power was that of deduction and his costume was distinctive but not at all unrealistic. I hope there are many replies.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Aiko

Re: Super hero characters

Postby Aiko » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 pm

I don't know about the Lone Ranger, but I would not consider Sherlock Holmes a superhero. Even though he is very skilled at what he does, he obviously has no super powers. Neither does Batman, but he has other traits that would qualify him: the costume (it's supposed to be intimidating, but imagine what it would really be like), somehow able to juggle two lives (does he ever sleep?), exceptionally skilled in many ways (so he still manages to make time for combat training), extremely dedicated to his cause etc. IMO a character who is as realistic as Sherlock cannot have the "super" attribute. It has to be some over-the-top kind of hero.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:43 am

There are a handful of non-super superheros in the comic world. The Bat family & sidekicks, Punisher, and Green Arrow come readily to mind. True, the Bats depend heavily on credibility-stretching gizmonics, but they're just people.

Talking reliance on props further, you have people like Green Lantern, Iron Man, and Dr. Strange, all of who are ordinary humans in possession of extraordinary tools.

Adding the word "super" kind of shapes what we're talking about. I doubt anyone here would debate whether firemen, soldiers, or nurses qualify as heroes. Their daily job is to put themselves at risk for the protection of others. So we have to focus on that adjective, super. Choose your favorite definition, it'll mean something along the lines of "more than." More than just a hero.

You mention the costumes. Part of the superhero mythology is that these aren't just individuals, they are symbols, and parts of a pantheon. A flashy costume advertises their presence, their intention, and even serves to focus attention of evil-doers on themselves, allowing innocent civilians to escape mayhem unnoticed. The costume is as integral to their functioning as a uniform is to a policeman. It's a public declaration of their agenda.

The masks are usually cited as necessary to preserve the identity of the hero. Much like an undercover narcotics operative, were their identify widely known, not only would it place the heroes themselves in danger, but those who they love. It's a trope in superhero tales that a villain takes a loved one hostage. In real life, the cartels are far less gentle in their approach to the families of undercover agents. I suppose that a hero could choose not to wear a mask, but at the cost of eschewing emotional connections altogether. Even having a favorite restaurant could end up placing innocent people in danger, were it known.

The Punisher is the best example I can think of that fits your question. He's just a man; his costume is that he dresses in black with a skull logo on his shirt; his power is brutality.

I would argue that both the Lone Ranger and Sherlock Holmes fit the definition. Both do more than what other heroes can or will.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

duuudeization

Postby duuudeization » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:53 pm

Gonna agree with Chimeric that the focus would be on the term super.
I would consider Punisher and Green Arrow to be heroes but not superheroes. Even Bats falls into this category to me. Technically, anyone can achieve the excessive skills of Batman, Hawkeye, etc., or at least levels that exceed the norm. Hell, any of us can dress in dark clothes, blend into shadows and fire a weapon to some degree.
Then take someone like Me Incredible, who is strong enough to workout with railroad cars; no ordinary person can achieve this, so he qualifies as a super. It is the ability to possess a power others don't that make them super.
As for costumes...Chimerix brings up excellent points there, although costumes need not be shiny skin tight pajamas. Black Widows outfit, though snug, Is normal clothes. Still, who knows? Maybe the necessary material to be as bulletproof as the hero becomes fire engine red as a result of the manufacturing process...maybe there is a narcissist need to stand out...I like Chims explanations better, although, were I a super, I would lot for a more tactical look than flashy spandex stuff .
Now...if we are talking about sinking certain heroes, I would def lean towards the french-cut onesie with the thigh high boots. No amount of discussions for practicality will change that. I WOULD agree on subduing the colors a bit...
Its all about peace and love and good happiness stuff

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:02 pm

How about Xena? Completely mortal but so good at it. Not super but certainly heroic. If there's a female Lone Ranger out there she's the one. Even comes with a sidekick. Not only has she got a great look but she's been in quicksand too. Always a favorite for me. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:24 am

The Xena and Callisto quicksand scene is one of my favorites! Just wish it was a little longer.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Chimerix wrote:I would argue that both the Lone Ranger and Sherlock Holmes fit the definition. Both do more than what other heroes can or will.

Absolutely. Both are a product of their time. The Holmes novels in particular were written and set in the Industrial Revolution, where the most high tech thing even a billionaire could own was his own steam powered train and a good chunk of the population couldn't even read. Stuff like an Iron Man suit or a jet powered car were simply beyond their scope of reasoning. In that era someone with the power to solve crimes by mental deduction would be as amazing to the average person back then as Batman is to us.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:40 pm

In light of the apparent range of opinion here I will try to use the term "super hero" to mean the (in my opinion) narrower definition of what is found in comic books and to adopt some other term to mean the broader definition of a character who has some special set of skills or attributes that enable them to do things beyond what most others can do, or even approach. For purposes of writing or filming this kind of scene, or spoofs of such, my view would be that what the character, or story, should have would be a significant set, which is to say most but not necessarily all, of the following features:
1) a "hero" or central character who has some kind of ability or attribute most others lack.
2) A distinctive costume of clothing.
3) A companion or sidekick (or several).
4) Some sort of backstory.
5) Challenging adversaries, often with unusual attributes if their own.

Feedback?
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:25 pm

Fred588 wrote:In light of the apparent range of opinion here I will try to use the term "super hero" to mean the (in my opinion) narrower definition of what is found in comic books and to adopt some other term to mean the broader definition of a character who has some special set of skills or attributes that enable them to do things beyond what most others can do, or even approach. For purposes of writing or filming this kind of scene, or spoofs of such, my view would be that what the character, or story, should have would be a significant set, which is to say most but not necessarily all, of the following features:
1) a "hero" or central character who has some kind of ability or attribute most others lack.
2) A distinctive costume of clothing.
3) A companion or sidekick (or several).
4) Some sort of backstory.
5) Challenging adversaries, often with unusual attributes if their own.

Feedback?

sounds very well thought out!
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Bill

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:08 am

I haven't always been a fan of Super hero shows & movies but when I finally got really into It & know I own every MCU Movie including Infinity War & Endgame. I really enjoy watching the female Superhero's when they sink in Quicksand & finds the strength to escape. I watched the 2 version of Supergirl sinking in Quicksand & getting out, I even watched the Xena Quicksand scene, Hercules, Beast Master Quicksand Scenes & I even watched a scene that featured a azion version of Supergirl that wares a Spider-Women suit that accidently falls in Quicksand & sinks up to her neck until she uses her super screams to cause a tree branch to fall that she uses to pull her self out. It was actually that scene that inspired me to make that story some of you may have read

Return to “General Discussion”