'Lo

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
finwath

'Lo

Postby finwath » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Hey peoples, I was just poking my head out to say hello and that I'm new to the forums.

It's cool to find a large group of people with the same ...fascination... with this stuff. ;)

I've been rooting around the site for a few days and the community seems like a batch of groovy folks, and I look forward to taking part in the forums.

Being down on the edge of the swamplands in South Louisiana, if I find any choice places, I'll be glad to pass them along. :D

Cheers!

nachtjaeger

Re: 'Lo

Postby nachtjaeger » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Welcome!

You're in a good part of the country there.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

finwath

Postby finwath » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:28 am

Unless you count the nearly constant 90% humidity, scorching summers that last 7 months, and the occasional hurricane, it's not so bad really, heh.

Firewind127

Postby Firewind127 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:14 am

Can I come? That place sounds like fun: almost the right water/air mixture, roasting temps, and swamps. Sounds almost like home, minus the quality swamp.

finwath

Postby finwath » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Firewind127 wrote:Can I come? That place sounds like fun: almost the right water/air mixture, roasting temps, and swamps. Sounds almost like home, minus the quality swamp.

Heh, yesterday the heat index was right around 110 degrees or so. I've been out in the marsh before during the middle of summer like this, and it's no picnic. It's like standing under a heat lamp while in a steam bath. And the stench when you disturb the muck is god-awful. Of course down around here, the local chemical plants have been illegally dumping waste out in the marshes for decades, so it's not a completely good idea to go poking around in the mud.

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Welcome, Finwath! Nice to have you.

You mentioned heat. I know something about that, as I live in the low desert of Arizona. I've seen the temperature top 120 degrees Fahrenheit more than once. Of course, we don't have the humidity you do, so everyone says, "it's a dry heat." I don't care if it's a dry heat or not. When it gets above 105 degrees, it's hot!

As for humidity, I'm not sure I really want to do deal with that, too.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter. Again, welcome!

Big Bad John

bumberjack

Postby bumberjack » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:02 pm

And if it's not the chemicals or the terrain of the swamp itself that's burdensome, you also have all kinds of vicious wildlife to contend with. Supposedly these animals are more afraid of us than we are of them, but they still bite.

You'd think that this part of the world would be a haven for folk like us, but really it ain't easy.

I hear Arkansas's nice this time of year...

Return to “General Discussion”