New quicksand experience

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
maria

New quicksand experience

Postby maria » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:24 am

I was going through my archives and came across some serious pictures and video of a quicksand area that I found (sort of by mistake :o ). It was a couple of months ago, and I now realize after looking at the videos and pictures of how deliciously perilous the place was.

There were all sorts of thrills - not least of which was the fact that the quarry was almost in full view of the road. But temptation got the better of me, and before I knew it I had put on rubber waders and made my way across the sand to what can only be described as scarily heavenly.

Fear really did take over when the entire area of wet sand around me liquefied and turned to a huge pool of wobbling mire. I turned around and my boots broke through the wet sandy surface and in an instant I was down to rims of my waders in quaking quickmud. I seriously only just managed to haul myself out and crawl back to firm ground nearly 30 metres away on all fours as my gloves and boots kept on pushing through the surface.

I filmed it but had to go all the way around to get the camera back. My adrenaline was running like crazy!

Has anyone had any recent experiences of getting caught unawares in deep mud or quicksand while trying to live out their fantasy?

224a.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mynock

Re: New quicksand experience

Postby Mynock » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:46 pm

Even though I know I'm relatively safe and must've done it a thousand times by now, I still get that rush every time the earth gives way and takes me. 8-)
There's not much actual quicksand in my quarry pits, but if the weather stays hot and dry for a while the crust that forms on top can support a surprising amount of weight. You walk out on what looks and feels like solid ground, take five, ten, even a dozen steps away from the edge and then all of a sudden.....SCHLURP......you go from walking to floating waist, sometimes chest deep in about 2 seconds.
And yea, this stuff is tenacious. I only wear a pair of boxers (if that) when I sink and it's a hell of a workout to get back to solid ground. I bet you do have a hell of a time wearing clothes and a pair of waders! :shock:
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:49 pm

No new recent experiences besides the ones you know already ;) .

How is it sinking or just venturing out onto that kind of open area in plain view? What about run-ins with folks who see you, or even worse the owner of the quarry? This is the gravest concern i always have when going in daylight.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

maria

Postby maria » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 pm

bogbud wrote:No new recent experiences besides the ones you know already ;) .

How is it sinking or just venturing out onto that kind of open area in plain view? What about run-ins with folks who see you, or even worse the owner of the quarry? This is the gravest concern i always have when going in daylight.

It's kind of exhilarating! The thought of sinking without knowing what's underfoot makes it a trembling experience and so realistically scary. If it wasn't so open I'd be fully liberated and have a proper film set :lol:

I had just pulled myself out of chest deep stuff and was walking away when a vehicle stopped about 200 metres away. I froze on the ground in full view but I was so covered in creamy clay and sand that I think I was camouflaged!

UltraWarriorX367

Postby UltraWarriorX367 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:57 pm

maria wrote:

It's kind of exhilarating! The thought of sinking without knowing what's underfoot makes it a trembling experience and so realistically scary. If it wasn't so open I'd be fully liberated and have a proper film set :lol:

I had just pulled myself out of chest deep stuff and was walking away when a vehicle stopped about 200 metres away. I froze on the ground in full view but I was so covered in creamy clay and sand that I think I was camouflaged!

Is there a video of your excursion?

maria

Postby maria » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:20 am

UltraWarriorX367 wrote:
maria wrote:

Is there a video of your excursion?

There are a couple, but this wasn't a good shoot - far too crazy to get things right and because it's so open it was hard to relax. I think I posted some short videos on my YT account but they didn't get much interest so I took them off.

dunebar

Postby dunebar » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:31 pm

That's a pity you took them down I'd have been interested in seeing them. I've enjoyed a few of your videos.
Think I remember seeing some homemade backyard pit type videos of yours from literally years and years ago.

lonesinker

Postby lonesinker » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:36 am

Maria... I am not sure I would attempt any mud wallowing or crossings near a road way or where I thought people could actually see me,I haven,t gotten that bold yet crossing,I guess deep down if I got into trouble I would hate having to explain what I was doing if someone noticed me. Fortunately the areas I explore are fairly away from traffic and mostly off hiking trails.

I enjoy when temperatures are super hot in the summer and boggy marshes and wetlands dry up and leave interesting bogs to cross. I wish I had a few pics to offer but the areas I encounter are more like boggy man,s topography..very thick and surface cracked thick mud black colored and can exceed 6 ft and I have gone thru a mucky wallow and had trouble ,I literally had to crawl backwards as it was getting too deep.

As you know clothes and boots makes things very heavy,the mud noises are the funniest almost like the earth is talking to you as your struggling thru.
On my travels on the main highway this summer I have noticed quite a few swampy bogs in plain view nice that some are close and easy access but I am sure Id end up being filmed on YouTube by someone :lol: if I jumped in

Return to “General Discussion”