Warning for those who plan on sinking in tar/asphalt

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Boggy Man

Re: Warning for those who plan on sinking in tar/asphalt

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:34 am

TK421 wrote:Especially considering if you had read the previous posts you would have realized that he got booted and none of what you wrote will reach the OP :lol: :lol:

Even though he is locked out of his account, he can still read this thread, and all the warnings posted here as well, because it is in the public area. He just can't post anything, and he can't access the producer area.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:07 am

Sinkman61 wrote:"First, as tar is actually lighter than water, you WILL sink completely under in such pits, as tar is the one substance that will act exactly like Hollywood has portrayed quicksand throughout the years."

I've never heard that before, so I did my own research and you are correct. Depending on the composition, tar can sometimes be less dense than water.

Strictly from a fictional fantasy standpoint, that actually makes tar all the more enticing to me :P
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Tar is made from oil and is lighter than water. As we’re mostly water, ultimately, we would sink in tar. No doubt it would be a really slow process, but with the unrelenting grip the tar would have on your body, you wouldn’t be going anywhere before you ended up like all the countless other critters throughout the ages, slowly sinking until you ended up at the very bottom of the tar pit, where your bones would intermingle with bones from the distant past that stumbled into this trap as well. Just think of the terror you would go through knowing that there was no escape, as the tar would ever so slowly seem to climb up your torso, consuming it. Then your neck, swallowing that as well. And all the while there’s absolutely NOTHING you could do to reverse this slow, lingering death. It would be a real life reenactment of a Hollywood movie, where the villain got swallowed up in quicksand. Only, it would be in slow motion, for your viewing pleasure.

Sinkman61

Postby Sinkman61 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:03 pm

“WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?”

TK, I apologize if you have trouble reading.

cbqdbq

Postby cbqdbq » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:30 am

when I was 12 in school, we did some reading of small lessons from a kit and one was about palontology and fossils found in tar. Whole bunch of different animals found together.

so, one animal lumbers into the tarpit because it glimers like a pond, finds it is stuck and sturggles to get out. a predator jumps on its back and is shaken off, then the predator finds it is stuck. more predators jump in, then get stuck and eventally, they all sink under and the tarpit glimers again waiting for the next victims to swallow.

in a way, the tarpit is good for swalowing victims because if they escape they have all kinds of illness from the toxins. and ordinary quicksand and mud is not toxic so it is good for not swalowing victims since they get out and arent going to suffer illness from any toxins. though I guess a person might get insect bites while they are in and around the quicksand.
cbqdbq
compeled by qs, demies by qs

06_Sonic

Postby 06_Sonic » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:03 pm

Sinkman61 wrote:Why would anyone go and sink in a tar pit???

Did you seriously ask that question in a sinking community page?

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:11 pm

Um, actually most tar "pits" weren't really pits at all. Mostly the oil that seeped out of the ground would form a mat around the source only a few inches thick. It acted more like flypaper or a roach motel than anything else, trapping animals and leaving them to die a slow painful death from exposure or dehydration.

Theo wrote:
Sinkman61 wrote:I've never heard that before, so I did my own research and you are correct. Depending on the composition, tar can sometimes be less dense than water.

Strictly from a fictional fantasy standpoint, that actually makes tar all the more enticing to me :P

True that. Whatever the substance, for me it's way more fun when I'm struggling to escape vs struggling to go under. :twisted:
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

quicksand3D

Postby quicksand3D » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:06 pm

My introduction to tar pits - anyone else remember this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:51 pm

the guy who said the joke about swimming in a nuclear rod cooling area. Actually its pretty safe to swim in them just don't touch the rods or you'll lose a arm or foot. The water acts as a barrier its kinda neat look it up.

Oh yeah one time I got a mold infection in both of my ears when playing in mud in a construction site that lasted for months and ruined the rest of my summer. Lucky I didn't lose my hearing.

Theo

Postby Theo » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:17 am

Slugjaba1922 wrote:the guy who said the joke about swimming in a nuclear rod cooling area. Actually its pretty safe to swim in them just don't touch the rods or you'll lose a arm or foot. The water acts as a barrier its kinda neat look it up.

Oh yeah one time I got a mold infection in both of my ears when playing in mud in a construction site that lasted for months and ruined the rest of my summer. Lucky I didn't lose my hearing.

I was actually joking about that with someone the other day. I joked about putting one of those nuclear reactors that sits under water in my backyard, that way I'll have clean, off the grid energy (and probably enough for my neighbors too!) and a heated swimming pool all in one! 8-)
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Return to “General Discussion”