Warning for those who plan on sinking in tar/asphalt

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Anonymou3

Warning for those who plan on sinking in tar/asphalt

Postby Anonymou3 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:17 am

Just thought I'd share a quick story about a time I went sinking in a tar pit, and a few very important lessons I learned from it that I think anyone who plans to do the same should now. A few months ago I found a little lake near me on google maps (https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2 ... 09972,209m for anyone curious) that seemed to have some nice mud, potentially quicksand on its banks. When I arrived though, there wasn't any deep mud, but instead a sizable deposit of tar or asphalt; it was black, shiny, and looked incredibly thick. Sinking in tar had always been a fantasy of mine, so this was extremely exciting. From the moment I stepped in, I sank at slow but consistent pace, without struggling at all; it was just as thick as I imagined, and every part of me that went under couldn't be moved at all. It felt amazing overall, but there were two main issues that I want to point out for anyone planning to sink in tar: it was extremely hot, (I assume this is due to the tar's black hue absorbing lots of heat from the sun) and also extremely difficult to get off of my skin (I had to scrub myself down several times with dish soap). So learn from my mistakes, don't go sinking in tar when its too hot out (maybe 70+ degrees Fahrenheit) and be aware that you might spend a lot of time cleaning up.

Black Clay Lord

Re: Warning for those who plan on sinking in tar/asphalt

Postby Black Clay Lord » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:19 am

Warning heeded.
There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning. "—and methodically knocking peoples' hats off. Then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I ca—"

Theo

Postby Theo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:08 am

Wow, I can't believe you actually sank in tar! :shock: I've always heard sinking in real tar/asphalt was too hazardous in both getting out on your own and being carcinogenic or something like that. It's also surprising that'd you find that in such an urbanized looking area, must be something industrial related. Have you ever heard of Goo Gone? It makes even the stickiest stuff not sticky any more, and though I don't think it's very good for your skin, tar probably isn't either and I get Goo Gone on my fingers all the time when I'm cleaning something. And I'd I think tar gets thicker as it cools so I don't know about sinking in it when it's much cooler.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience! Too bad you didn't get any pictures/video, if even possible under the circumstances. Still, it's definitely both intriguing and inspiring for future stories :idea:
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:37 am

Sounds not that desirable.

I would have gone probably with tall boots and either destroyed, lost or permanently ruined them.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing your tarpit adventure! :D Looking at the area, it looks like it could be a site for some sort of industrial operation. :? It was amazing that no one saw you! That sounded like quite an experience, and stories about people's encounters with tar are very, very rare! So, I am very curious about a number of things:
Did you take any pictures?
How deep did you sink and how long did it take?
How did you manage to get free (I must imagine the surrounding tar lifted up with you during extraction)?
How long did it take to escape?
Was the tar pit bubbling?
Was the extraction and subsequent cleanup painful (pulling on skin, hairs, joints/muscles)?
Any skin problems (such as rashes/irritation/dryness/itchiness or worse) after that?
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Sedge

Postby Sedge » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:04 pm

IDK, man. Tar is an amazing fantasy, but always make sure you know what you're getting into. I hope it was just tar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anonymou3

Postby Anonymou3 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:59 pm

Boggy Man wrote:Thanks for sharing your tarpit adventure! :D Looking at the area, it looks like it could be a site for some sort of industrial operation. :? It was amazing that no one saw you! That sounded like quite an experience, and stories about people's encounters with tar are very, very rare! So, I am very curious about a number of things:
Did you take any pictures?
How deep did you sink and how long did it take?
How did you manage to get free (I must imagine the surrounding tar lifted up with you during extraction)?
How long did it take to escape?
Was the tar pit bubbling?
Was the extraction and subsequent cleanup painful (pulling on skin, hairs, joints/muscles)?
Any skin problems (such as rashes/irritation/dryness/itchiness or worse) after that?

I actually can't believe I forgot to mention this, but someone (I assume a worker at whatever place this is) briefly pulled up in a truck on the other side of the lake and got out, but luckily there was some very tall grass that was thick enough for me to hide behind and remain unnoticed until he drove off. I couldn't see him, so I didn't know what he was doing, but he didn't stay long.

As for your questions:

1. Unfortunately, I did not, I was too busy indulging myself in the experience, but I certainly will take pictures, maybe a video the next time I go :D

2. I only sank down to my waist, but that was only because that was the point where I decided to get out; the tar was too hot for me to put any more of my body in. I was still sinking steadily at that point and could've feel any sign of a bottom, so I'm sure I could've gone much deeper (I'm 5'7" by the way). I sank slowly, albeit I wasn't struggling much, but at a very consistent and measurable pace. I think it took around 20 seconds to sink down to my waist from the moment I stepped in.

3. To get out, I had to lean very far forwards and backwards while lifting myself up with all my strength; even though the tar wasn't actually very sticky, the thickness of it alone made getting out a very slow and difficult process.

4. Since I was only waist deep before I decided to escape (the tar was too hot for me to go any deeper :( ) it only took about 30 seconds, but again, it wasn't easy.

5. There were some clumps of small bubbles on the surface, but it tar itself wasn't bubbling.

6. Neither the extraction nor cleanup were painful even though I have a lot of hair from the waist down, it just took a long while and quite a bit of work, especially the cleanup.

7. No skin problems at all, or other physical problems of that matter, at least that I notice.

Hope this helps :)

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:30 am

Anonymou3 wrote:Just thought I'd share a quick story about a time I went sinking in a tar pit, ...So learn from my mistakes, don't go sinking in tar when its too hot out (maybe 70+ degrees Fahrenheit) and be aware that you might spend a lot of time cleaning up.

I have a daughter who is 21, single, tall, and likes animals. I'd like for you to marry her. For your wedding present I'm going to take out the biggest life insurance policy I can get on you. :roll:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:22 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
Anonymou3 wrote:Just thought I'd share a quick story about a time I went sinking in a tar pit, ...So learn from my mistakes, don't go sinking in tar when its too hot out (maybe 70+ degrees Fahrenheit) and be aware that you might spend a lot of time cleaning up.

I have a daughter who is 21, single, tall, and likes animals. I'd like for you to marry her. For your wedding present I'm going to take out the biggest life insurance policy I can get on you. :roll:

Get in line, buddy! I’ll take this sorta bet all day! :lol: :lol:

And just in case it isn’t clear, just a little disclaimer to the ill informed:

DO NOT under any circumstances sink in tar unless you want the thoughts of “Oh lord, I wonder what malignant tumors I can grow today” drifting through your head as tar and it’s various forms are carcinogenic. Never mind that tar is usually paired with tar creosotes and various oxidizers due to it’s processing. Naturally occurring tar pits are even worse. Just don’t.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Anonymou3

Postby Anonymou3 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:29 pm

TK421 wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:

Get in line, buddy! I’ll take this sorta bet all day! :lol: :lol:

And just in case it isn’t clear, just a little disclaimer to the ill informed:

DO NOT under any circumstances sink in tar unless you want the thoughts of “Oh lord, I wonder what malignant tumors I can grow today” drifting through your head as tar and it’s various forms are carcinogenic. Never mind that tar is usually paired with tar creosotes and various oxidizers due to it’s processing. Naturally occurring tar pits are even worse. Just don’t.

I guess I'll have to add this to the list of dangers :shock:

Return to “General Discussion”