Interesting?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Mike Nomic

Interesting?

Postby Mike Nomic » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:35 pm

gamwam

Re: Interesting?

Postby gamwam » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:46 pm

glad to see my old essex home town getting a mention :)

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:29 pm

Hmm, i guess 75% of the clips and snippets do not show actual quicksand but sinking in Bogs, Swamps and various deep (also tidal) mud.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:51 am

Wow! My state in the top 10! NJ

TheDoctor6013

Postby TheDoctor6013 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:58 am

bogbud wrote:Hmm, i guess 75% of the clips and snippets do not show actual quicksand but sinking in Bogs, Swamps and various deep (also tidal) mud.

Quicksand is an umbrella term that means any deep mud-like substance. Yes, there is the scientific definition of quicksand but almost all the time it's mentioned it means sinking in mud.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:58 pm

TheDoctor6013 wrote:
bogbud wrote:Hmm, i guess 75% of the clips and snippets do not show actual quicksand but sinking in Bogs, Swamps and various deep (also tidal) mud.

Quicksand is an umbrella term that means any deep mud-like substance. Yes, there is the scientific definition of quicksand but almost all the time it's mentioned it means sinking in mud.

Well, you nailed it :mrgreen:

It's about the different behaviour of the substances. What works in deep mud does not in quicksand and vice versa. You need to know different methods when you want to safely explore marshes, swamps, bogs, construction-sites, quarries, tidal mud or quicksandy areas.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Theo

Postby Theo » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:39 pm

Cool! One-stop-shop for my summer travel planning! :D Now if I could just find a female travel companion, cause of course, the buddy system is the best policy when exploring such places.

I’m kinda surprised it didn’t mention Morecambe Bay, UK and Turnagain Arm, Alaska. Also places synonymous with quicksand.
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Return to “General Discussion”