Sinking spots in Utah

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
sirnetwork

Sinking spots in Utah

Postby sirnetwork » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:31 am

Hey all! Haven't posted in some time.

Torrid and I are looking for some sinking spots in Utah. There have been several posts talking about large, general areas, but we have failed thus far. We prefer northern Utah, but we will take anything at this point. Here's what we know, to date:

-We have seen some posts talking about the Pineview Reservoir, but we couldn't find any mud past ankle deep. I see the potential in the area, but we need specific directions or a link to a specific spot on Google Maps/Earth.
-We have been looking for spots near the Great Salt Lake, but all of the ones that look "primo" on the map have locked gates when explored in person. Again, specific links would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance to anyone for their help. Feel free to respond privately if you like!
Please add your sinking spots to this map!
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&ie= ... 47256&z=11

mudxdresser

Re: Sinking spots in Utah

Postby mudxdresser » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:23 am

Utah is so often said to have mud, but, really good mud is actually rather scarce there. The only consistent deep mud I know of out where the railroad crosses the Great Salt Lake but it is problematic for several reasons, finding it, getting to it without a boat, and dealing with the insects and ever present high wind...

sirnetwork

Postby sirnetwork » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:56 am

Did some more exploring over the last few days.

Huntsville is of a different climate and has a different soil type from the rest of highly alkaline northern Utah. I can now see that the SW shore of the Huntsville Reservoir (east of Ogden) will be amazing once the water level drops in a month or so.

As far as the Great Salt Lake, access from shore without a boat (and preferably close to a road) looks like it's a guarantee, but I just need to do a lot more hunting. The bugs didn't seem to bug me this much, but maybe it's just early in the summer...

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:39 am

Yes, I do remember that there is said to be mud in that lake west of Ogden when the water levels are low. Never been in that area when the water was low myself and have heard conflicting reports as to whether the mud is any good.

YerKiddin

Postby YerKiddin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:59 pm

I went with a friend to visit the great salt lake via some farm road near Farmington, UT. We found a spot that was knee deep and some of the stinkiest mud I've ever been in, but no challenge to get out of. This was back in the late 80's though, so I don't have a clue what road(s) we went down to find this.

sirnetwork

Postby sirnetwork » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Oh, stinky mud is more than correct for the Great Salt Lake stuff! We have been exploring more and have found some ideal locations on the south side of the lake (thigh to chest deep), but I still keep hearing that the east side has the best stuff. We will explore more as time allows, likely much more this afternoon.

Return to “General Discussion”