Wildlife while scouting.

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
cj125

Re: Wildlife while scouting.

Postby cj125 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:46 am

If that were me, even if the gator chilled there and never moved once while observing it, I would not chance sinking near it. If it decides to make a move and you are eye level with it in the mud, you are at the complete mercy of a predator and that probably won’t go well for you.

As much as it sucks to say, it might be best to abandon the spot.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 am

cj125 wrote:If that were me, even if the gator chilled there and never moved once while observing it, I would not chance sinking near it. If it decides to make a move and you are eye level with it in the mud, you are at the complete mercy of a predator and that probably won’t go well for you.

As much as it sucks to say, it might be best to abandon the spot.

^This. Gators are not just well known ambush predators but they are also opportunistic hunters. While we may not be on the menu (Well, not supposed to be anyways), they are also known to be highly territorial. Even if only waist level in mud, you're leaving things to chance. I can just about promise you that an adolescent gator can swim or even crawl faster than you can pull yourself out and that is just counting the one that you can see ;) .
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Black Clay Lord

Postby Black Clay Lord » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:15 pm

I'm in agreement with the others. Best to avoid the spot if gators are present.
There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning. "—and methodically knocking peoples' hats off. Then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I ca—"

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:32 pm

Its not completely relevant to the immediate topic but about five years ago we were filming a night scene at the Studio clay pit, when the model looked to one side and was startled - terrified would be a more accurate term for a few minutes - by the glowing eyes of a Possum looking at her from behind some bushes not more than eight feet away.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:17 am

How big a Gator?
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:50 pm

A handful of firecrackers solves all wildlife issues for a while. Critters don't like them. Even 'gators.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:A handful of firecrackers solves all wildlife issues for a while. Critters don't like them. Even 'gators.

So now we know what your other job was (in addition to the other hats you wore) while shooting with Dave :D :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:00 pm

TK421 wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:A handful of firecrackers solves all wildlife issues for a while. Critters don't like them. Even 'gators.

So now we know what your other job was (in addition to the other hats you wore) while shooting with Dave :D :lol:

Yes, critter dispersal was one of very many hats I wore at various times. Out of all that though, Dave still got stuck with 98% of the work. :mrgreen:

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:17 pm

One of the more interesting critter-related things, here at least, is the frequent morning discovery of a six-inch-wide, curved track across the peat pit, and sometimes across the clay also. Apparently many of the local testudines are quicksanders, along with the Ranidae
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:02 pm

Fred588 wrote:One of the more interesting critter-related things, here at least, is the frequent morning discovery of a six-inch-wide, curved track across the peat pit, and sometimes across the clay also. Apparently many of the local testudines are quicksanders, along with the Ranidae

Interesting because some dinner plate sized testudines at Camp MPV used to do the same thing. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”