Quarry Security

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Tim Kelly

Re: Quarry Security

Postby Tim Kelly » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:51 pm

You didn't mention the biggest enemy that "trespassers" have; GUARD DOGS! They can't be outrun, bargained with, reasoned with, in fact dealing with a Terminator would be preferable.
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

duuudeization

Postby duuudeization » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:03 pm

I'm not even clear on how to find a quarry...what will I see from the road? We have a lot of concrete places locally, should I be looking near them?
Its all about peace and love and good happiness stuff

rubik-pillow

Postby rubik-pillow » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:20 am

duuudeization wrote:I'm not even clear on how to find a quarry...what will I see from the road? We have a lot of concrete places locally, should I be looking near them?

Look around on google maps... they scar the earth and stick out like a sore thumb.

Bird320

Postby Bird320 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:41 am

duuudeization wrote:I'm not even clear on how to find a quarry...what will I see from the road? We have a lot of concrete places locally, should I be looking near them?

As was said they stick out like a sore thumb. This is an example of what one looks like from Google Maps aerial view:

E12041FD-13AB-4A4D-B384-53EAB5D90CE2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:40 pm

Always remember;
if you see a sign warning of "Dog patrols", remember,
(1) They are NOT bluffing,
(2) They WILL bite.
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:59 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:Always remember;
if you see a sign warning of "Dog patrols", remember,
(1) They are NOT bluffing,
(2) They WILL bite.

Mr. Burns: I suggest you leave immediately.

Homer: Or what?! You'll release the dogs?! Or the bees?! Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you?!

The days of junkyard dogs trained to attack roaming freely around a property are long gone in these parts. Tresspasser or not, if your dog rips somebody's leg off their lawyer will have your ass neatly sliced on a silver platter lol.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Chaz Targrin

Postby Chaz Targrin » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:53 pm

Speaking of quarries, I've got a couple of questions! I'm going to be moving to somewhere that's a stone's throw (hah) from a few quarries, I'm looking at them on Google Maps now. With that in mind:

1) What kind of quarries are most likely to have mud? I see some described as aggregate quarries, others as sand and concrete, and so on.

2) When looking at satellite images of quarries, what should I look for as being the most likely spots to have mud? Some of the ones I've been able to see have what look like fairly obvious spots, while others are less clear.

Bird320

Postby Bird320 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:16 am

Chaz Targrin wrote:Speaking of quarries, I've got a couple of questions! I'm going to be moving to somewhere that's a stone's throw (hah) from a few quarries, I'm looking at them on Google Maps now. With that in mind:

1) What kind of quarries are most likely to have mud? I see some described as aggregate quarries, others as sand and concrete, and so on.

2) When looking at satellite images of quarries, what should I look for as being the most likely spots to have mud? Some of the ones I've been able to see have what look like fairly obvious spots, while others are less clear.

I'll let the more experienced users answer your questions in more detail, but it has been asked a lot on here before. If you Google search something like this:

Code: Select all

site:quicksandfans.com quarry

or replace "quarry" with other things you can find loads of information on this forum a bit easier than using the built-in search function.

That being said, from what I've heard and discovered, it's very random if they will or not. At least, if they will have good deep mud. You are looking for things called "settlement lagoons/ponds" mostly, which are usually where excess silt and whatnot is washed out from the actual material they are keeping and left to dry out. But aerial images can be out of date so your best bet would be to go adventuring on your own.

Return to “General Discussion”