Mud's Benefits

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
dougiezerts

Mud's Benefits

Postby dougiezerts » Wed May 06, 2009 12:03 am

Mud is benefitial to the skin--at least that's what some people say! In fact, mud baths have been very popular for centuries.
So I was wondering, have any of you ever noticed any benefits to your skin after being in the mud?
Not experiencing the mud very much (alas! :cry: ), I can't attest to this. However, I've noticed that chocolate syrup makes the skin very soft!

claykid

Re: Mud's Benefits

Postby claykid » Wed May 06, 2009 4:01 am

yes

nice long scratches from tree branches

stitches from broken beer bottles

bruises from boulders and rocks underneath

locust tree thorns in legs and arms gettin to favorite mud hole

:lol: :lol: :lol:

claykid

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Wed May 06, 2009 4:02 am

The slurry pond at Chester, Illinois, will take the top layer right off your skin and...the tiny hairs too if a gal hasn't shaved her legs for a day or two.

I dunno, was that a benefit?

(Photo taken by Kaol in 2000...and he's still got it on his website too.)

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed May 06, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm not sure that anything less than forty-grit sandpaper would improve my hide. Ladies often make positive comments about the clay at MPV and Studio 588. The mud along the Marys River also drew good reviews. I think the trick is to let it dry before washing off. Doing this several times a day might take the novelty out of it though. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

dougiezerts

Postby dougiezerts » Thu May 07, 2009 12:14 am

claykid wrote:yes

nice long scratches from tree branches

stitches from broken beer bottles

bruises from boulders and rocks underneath

locust tree thorns in legs and arms gettin to favorite mud hole

claykid

Is it all worth it? :lol:
Great photo of you, Nessie! :D

jack c

Postby jack c » Thu May 07, 2009 2:16 am

Nessie - this looks like a real-life photo of the evil blonde in Lure of the Swamp. Nice image.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu May 07, 2009 3:20 am

For anybody who's new to this whole online quicksand thing and hasn't seen it before, that photo of me originally appeared here:

http://www.angelfire.com/art/deepquicks ... ssie1.html

It's on Page 1 and Page 2 of Kaol's collection of my early quicksand art. I don't know who's the background on Page Three, though.

Oh, yeah. Claypits leave the skin feeling the best. Some peat pits are okay too...they have this mild exfoliation thing going. Since I rarely submerge, though, it doesn't get on my face, so I notice the changes below the neck...legs especially can get noticeably smoother.

Nessie

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu May 07, 2009 3:29 am

claykid wrote:

claykid

Itchy bumps from bites by mosquitoes, horse flies and chiggers

Red bleeding spots from leeches

Itchy welts from stinging nettles

Scratches from thorns

Burning welts from sawgrass

Scar on right toe from gash on under-mud cattail root acquired during inexperienced non-sink attempted way back in 2000 before I had a clue what the heck I should do instead of try to get into a swamp behind a luxury apartment complex at night

Weird burning on feet from polluted mud behind a different, non-luxury apartment complex -- resulting in another non-sink -- some photos from this location, though, have found their way into other people's fakes

X-treeeeeeeme sunburn (on the three-day Southern Claypit Mud Glutfest Extravaganza represented by my avatar...but hey...it was worth it)

Nessie

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu May 07, 2009 7:11 pm

I actually got into some quickgravel once (lots of clay and fines mixed in, lots of hydrostatic pressure and freeze/thaw cycles) and that stuff took the hair off of MY legs! :shock: Boy, did I take a razzing at track practice. . . :oops: Of course, I couldn't tell anybody the real reason.

Nessie wrote:The slurry pond at Chester, Illinois, will take the top layer right off your skin and...the tiny hairs too if a gal hasn't shaved her legs for a day or two.

I dunno, was that a benefit?

(Photo taken by Kaol in 2000...and he's still got it on his website too.)

Nessie
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri May 08, 2009 4:34 am

nachtjaeger wrote:I actually got into some quickgravel once (lots of clay and fines mixed in, lots of hydrostatic pressure and freeze/thaw cycles) and that stuff took the hair off of MY legs! :shock:

One of the most appealing things about deep mud is that it is soft.

I did, by accident, encounter a bit of quickgravel at Kaol's 2001 shoot. The mudpit he shot at was perfectly soft and silky smooth clay (you can see this mudpit on some of the stills from his videos at his site at www.mucknmire.com/Kaol) but the cleanup pond did have gravel mixed in with the clay at the shoreline.

That quickgravel was only about shin-deep but my skin didn't like that stuff! Sink in it? Not me! You're tough! I still had hair on my legs that day 'cause I got out of it as fast as I could!

Nessie

Return to “General Discussion”